T Nation

Training for a Slow Twitch Dominant

High there, I am 20 years old, and I’ve been lifting seriously for two and a half years. Unfortunately I didn’t get the results I should, I weight 65 kgs (aprox. 130 libs) and I am 1,78 meters tall,aprox. 15% BF. Not muscular at all, as you understand… Lastly a guy who I know, and is a boxing trainer, told that I am a slow twitch dominant, and I should train with highter volume and lower intensity. And after a bit of searching I am afraid that I match the slow twitch profile(thin wrists, narrow shoulders, rarely I feel burn from the lactic acid in high reps etc.) I know that slow thwitch fibers have a low potential for growth, but I also know that everyone can become more muscular than he already is. So I want to make a good effort for adding some muscle mass, and I ended up to a program like the following.

Day 1 back and chest
Behind the neck pulldowns 4X15
low rows 4X15
one arm cable rows 4X15
dumbell pullover 4X15-20

dumbell press 3X15
incline dumbell press 3X15
incline flies 3X15
flat flies 3X15-20

Day 2 Thighs
Back half squats 4X15
Front half squats 4X15
leg press 4X15
leg extensions 4X15-20
hyper extensions 4X15
leg curls 4X15

day 3 rest

day 4 shoulders and calves
side lateral raises 3X15
front raises 3X15
bent over laterals 3X15
Dumbell presses 3X15
shrugs 3X15
two exercises for calves, one seated and one standing, 4-5X15 each

day 5 Arms and abs
hummer curls 3X15
bumbell curls 3X15
Larry scott 3X15
reverse curls 3X15

single arm reverse pulley press 3X15
tricep press (pulley) 3X15
overhead pulley press 3X15
close grip bench press 3X15-20

grip work: wrist curls and extensions 4X15 each

one exercise for abs 4X15

The rest periods are 60’’ but 90’’ for squats, 1-2 sets of each exercise are taken to absolute failure, as hard as I really can.

I think off beginning like that, and in a period of four weeks dropping reps to: 12-15, 10-12, 10.Then repeat the cycle for 4 more weeks, and then 1 week rest. and also I will change some of the exercises every workout.

Do you have to suggest or to comment anything for improving my workout?

Thank you for reading

If you only weigh 130 after 2 1/2 years, have you considered that your food intake, or lack thereof, might be a key issue?

Oh, and don’t say you are a hard-gainer unless you are prepared for an e-punch to the face.

Can someone tell me more about the characteristics of slow twitch dominant lifters? I have slim wrists and unimpressive shoulders too.

@giterdone, man, I never had a hard time gaining weight, I was always putting on a few kilos, but the muscle gains where very few. And my diet isnt bad. I have enough protein, carbs and good fats…And as I can gainin weight I eat enough calories. and generally I eat un processed foods. Fruits, whole grains etc. OK, the last time I tried to bulk a bit I didn’t eat enough, but generally speaking I dont think my diet is the problem.

@Oroborus, Some people say that fiber type can be seen from body characteristics, but personally, I cant tell you for sure. Simply put, the more reps you can do with the 80%of your max strength, the more slow twitch fibers you have, and the less you can perform with your 80% the more fast twich fibers you have…

I was a 2:32 marathon runner…that’s pretty slow twitch correct?..using a standard way of training I put on 20lbs of lean mass (measured via skinfold) in about 6 months and I’m pretty old for this board at 32.

You’re not the exception…just train hard and eat hard.

Alan

Alan, you are giving me a relief I can tell. Could you please say a few words about you training?

Please refer to my “Bodybuilding Bible” thread for all you need to be successful in bodybuilding.

By the way, NO successful bodybuilders worry about this shit - slow verus fast twitch fiber training!

[quote]high_intensity wrote:
High there, I am 20 years old, and I’ve been lifting seriously for two and a half years. Unfortunately I didn’t get the results I should, I weight 65 kgs (aprox. 130 libs) and I am 1,78 meters tall,aprox. 15% BF. Not muscular at all, as you understand… Lastly a guy who I know, and is a boxing trainer, told that I am a slow twitch dominant, and I should train with highter volume and lower intensity.

And after a bit of searching I am afraid that I match the slow twitch profile(thin wrists, narrow shoulders, rarely I feel burn from the lactic acid in high reps etc.) I know that slow thwitch fibers have a low potential for growth, but I also know that everyone can become more muscular than he already is. So I want to make a good effort for adding some muscle mass, and I ended up to a program like the following.

Day 1 back and chest
low rows 4X15
one arm cable rows 4X15
dumbell pullover 4X15-20

dumbell press 3X15
incline flies 3X15
flat flies 3X15-20

Day 2 Thighs
Back half squats 4X15
Front half squats 4X15
leg press 4X15
leg extensions 4X15-20
hyper extensions 4X15
leg curls 4X15

day 3 rest

side lateral raises 3X15
front raises 3X15
bent over laterals 3X15
Dumbell presses 3X15
shrugs 3X15

day 5 Arms and abs
hummer curls 3X15
bumbell curls 3X15
Larry scott 3X15
reverse curls 3X15

The rest periods are 60’’ but 90’’ for squats, 1-2 sets of each exercise are taken to absolute failure, as hard as I really can.

I think off beginning like that, and in a period of four weeks dropping reps to: 12-15, 10-12, 10.Then repeat the cycle for 4 more weeks, and then 1 week rest. and also I will change some of the exercises every workout.

Thank you for reading

[/quote]

The next time you see your boxing trainer friend who is giving you all this misinformation, ask him how the fuck he is determining your fibre type short of an actual biopsy. Small joints, narrow shoulders, ‘not feeling the lactic acid burn’? - I don’t see how these are directly correlated with fibre makeup but I would love to hear his answer.

You don’t even realise it but this post shows that his bullshit has already affected your attitude towards training. You have began thinking negatively about your own potential, therefore by extension you have already decided that you aren’t going to be able to add a shit load of muscle AND you have tailored a program that works towards training the slow twitch fibres which you pointed out have limited scope for growth.

Wake up!.. stop thinking like this otherwise your predictions will become self fulfilling prophecies. At 2 years of training you are in no position to yet blame genetics, the most likely problem is that your diet and/or training program is shit.

x 2 on NIguy’s post, but to the OP: Your post actually takes me back to my track & field days. The coaches took one look at my tall and (at the time very) skinny frame and thought ‘long distance runner’, so they had me doing 3000 m etc.

I basically sucked at long distance, and hated every second of it. When I finally got to join the sprint team it turned out that I had a pretty good talent for 100 and 200 meters, though…

If your goal is to put on muscle do what has been proven to work, not what some random trainer tells you. Read the ‘Bodybuilding Bible’ thread as suggested above, as well as ‘The Best of T-Nation’ in the Bodybulding forum. You’ll be able to prove your trainer friend wrong if you do :wink:

[quote]NIguy wrote:

[quote]high_intensity wrote:
High there, I am 20 years old, and I’ve been lifting seriously for two and a half years. Unfortunately I didn’t get the results I should, I weight 65 kgs (aprox. 130 libs) and I am 1,78 meters tall,aprox. 15% BF. Not muscular at all, as you understand… Lastly a guy who I know, and is a boxing trainer, told that I am a slow twitch dominant, and I should train with highter volume and lower intensity.

And after a bit of searching I am afraid that I match the slow twitch profile(thin wrists, narrow shoulders, rarely I feel burn from the lactic acid in high reps etc.) I know that slow thwitch fibers have a low potential for growth, but I also know that everyone can become more muscular than he already is. So I want to make a good effort for adding some muscle mass, and I ended up to a program like the following.

Day 1 back and chest
low rows 4X15
one arm cable rows 4X15
dumbell pullover 4X15-20

dumbell press 3X15
incline flies 3X15
flat flies 3X15-20

Day 2 Thighs
Back half squats 4X15
Front half squats 4X15
leg press 4X15
leg extensions 4X15-20
hyper extensions 4X15
leg curls 4X15

day 3 rest

side lateral raises 3X15
front raises 3X15
bent over laterals 3X15
Dumbell presses 3X15
shrugs 3X15

day 5 Arms and abs
hummer curls 3X15
bumbell curls 3X15
Larry scott 3X15
reverse curls 3X15

Thank you for reading

[/quote]

The next time you see your boxing trainer friend who is giving you all this misinformation, ask him how the fuck he is determining your fibre type short of an actual biopsy. Small joints, narrow shoulders, ‘not feeling the lactic acid burn’? - I don’t see how these are directly correlated with fibre makeup but I would love to hear his answer.

You don’t even realise it but this post shows that his bullshit has already affected your attitude towards training. You have began thinking negatively about your own potential, therefore by extension you have already decided that you aren’t going to be able to add a shit load of muscle AND you have tailored a program that works towards training the slow twitch fibres which you pointed out have limited scope for growth.

Wake up!.. stop thinking like this otherwise your predictions will become self fulfilling prophecies. At 2 years of training you are in no position to yet blame genetics, the most likely problem is that your diet and/or training program is shit.[/quote]

I would echo what NI is saying here.

This idea you have in your head about being “slow-twitch dominant” is nothing short of ridiculous.

Start a real program based on Brick’s bodybuilding bible thread, keep progressive overload at the forefront of your training, and above all fix your DIET.