Training for a 200lb Bench at 123

Ok, trained Tris last night (along with Hoz. Pulls and Frt. Sqts) My tricep work was first, of course…because we all know what my goal is right now :slight_smile:

WarmUp on Flat bench (regualar bench style)
barx15
95x10
tricep pushups x 15
135x5

Close grip presses
135x5
145x5
150x5

Rack Lockouts
(I’m a little above 90 with my arms, which is to take all the chest work out of it and totally focus on Tris)
225x5 (warmup)
250x5 (start heavier next time)
265x5
275x5 (this should be my 2nd set
295x5 (now I’m starting to feel the weight)

Too many sets for this exercise, should have started heavier. 225 and 250 were like warmups and I should already be warm from the close grips.

Anyway it felt really good, I don’t know why I didn’t just throw on 5 more pounds at the end for an even 300, but I am sure the second that I did, I wouldn’t be able to move it…its such a mental thing at this point!!!

Finished workout with Frt. Squats - 4 sets of 10 (a** to the grass)

Hoz. Pulls 4 sets of 8

Next workout…Benching on Saturday!! Yeah! (I really need to learn to get this excited over all my lifts)

G

Well, no bench for today. I had a charity event at work and we ran obstacle courses, played dodge ball and ran relays. I am worn out! Theres no way I plan to bench today with only half a tank. This is good, because my normal bench day is Sunday, so I’ll be right back on my routine.

Now, I do have a non-bench question for you ladies. I’ve been reading several of your logs and you guys have awesome DL numbers. I would love to get some advice since I am very new to DLing. Can anyone give me some numbers to shoot for? Whats considered “good” for a 123 bwt? and can anyone give me the low down on conventional stance vs sumo stance? which do most of you do?

Thanks so much for any advice.
G

Conventional v. sumo:

Conventional is a comfortable shoulder-width stance with your arms outside. I learned conventional first and did really well until I started pulling in excess of 200lbs. At that point I felt that I really couldn’t get low enough and kept trying to use my back more than my legs when I’d pull.

Sumo is a wide as you can go stance with arms inside your legs. I point my toes towards the plates instead of straight ahead as I would with conventional. The bar almost gets dragged up your calves instead of your shins.

I love it. I’m 5’11 and finally felt that I could get low enough to really take my back out of the equation. It took a while to get my numbers back to where they were with conventional, but I feel stronger and more solid with sumo.

Here’s a ranking list for USAPL:

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsletter/ranking/2006/women_open.html

over 300 would be sweet for 123. That’s the class I compete in too but I’m not near 300 yet, but hope to be by the end of this year. 359 days :slight_smile:

sumo or conventional is up to the lifter, like sic said. You should definitly try both to see what your better at.

And I was going to ask, do you prefer rack lockouts to boards? And what would be the best way to build triceps?

thx,
c.

[quote]sic wrote:
Conventional v. sumo:

Conventional is a comfortable shoulder-width stance with your arms outside. I learned conventional first and did really well until I started pulling in excess of 200lbs. At that point I felt that I really couldn’t get low enough and kept trying to use my back more than my legs when I’d pull.

Sumo is a wide as you can go stance with arms inside your legs. I point my toes towards the plates instead of straight ahead as I would with conventional. The bar almost gets dragged up your calves instead of your shins.

I love it. I’m 5’11 and finally felt that I could get low enough to really take my back out of the equation. It took a while to get my numbers back to where they were with conventional, but I feel stronger and more solid with sumo.[/quote]

Thanks sic,
Alot of people have told me that conventional is suppose to be more powerful. To be honest, it looks soooo painful to me. I have issues with my lower back at L4 and L5, and usually bending over at the waist is a killer. I know that you are suppose to use your legs to power the weight up, but my back always jumps in first and rounds out, causing problems.

I am glad to hear that you started with conventional and moved to sumo and you like it. Sumo, just seems like it would be less stress on my back.

Thanks so much for you input!

[quote]c. wrote:
Here’s a ranking list for USAPL:

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsletter/ranking/2006/women_open.html

over 300 would be sweet for 123. That’s the class I compete in too but I’m not near 300 yet, but hope to be by the end of this year. 359 days :slight_smile:

sumo or conventional is up to the lifter, like sic said. You should definitly try both to see what your better at.

And I was going to ask, do you prefer rack lockouts to boards? And what would be the best way to build triceps?

thx,
c.[/quote]

Hey c
I’ve been trying to catch up with your log and I saw your video of DLing 255…I am so jealous!! You mentioned trying 270, have you tried that yet? Your numbers are impressive! I’m definitely going to keep up with your log. How long did it take you to hit 250? When you started DLing what were your numbers if I may ask?

In regards to your question about tricep training, I do prefer rack lockouts. I only train with boards if I am training in a shirt. Rack lockouts are nice because you can load up the weight and you don’t need a spotter! This is great, when you are the only one in the gym, you don’t have to rely on anyone else. I really think these have done wonders for me, physically and mentally. Putting 100 extra pounds on the bar, does wonders for your mental game.

I have my hands a little closer that my regular grip to really focus on isolating my triceps. Its a pretty small R.O.M., but its a killer on the triceps if you are set up right.

Do you do lockouts right now? How high are your safety racks and what type of weight are you using?
G

[quote]GBench wrote:
Hey c
I’ve been trying to catch up with your log and I saw your video of DLing 255…I am so jealous!! You mentioned trying 270, have you tried that yet? Your numbers are impressive! I’m definitely going to keep up with your log. How long did it take you to hit 250? When you started DLing what were your numbers if I may ask?[/quote]

thanks! I may try at least 270 at my meet in 3 weeks. Really would like 285. I pulled 265 at my last meet in October.

When I started PL training a year ago, I could pull 165 and I was really excited :slight_smile: Don’t imagine I’ll add another 100lbs this year though…

I like all your reasons for lockouts and I really need stronger triceps so I’ll be trying those. I did them once, a while back.

Our racks are pretty high I guess. Would I start out at my bench max? I’d like to see if I could do them tomorrow and forget all the other tri crap I do. Except of course for the ol pushups.

thanks,
c.

I like all your reasons for lockouts and I really need stronger triceps so I’ll be trying those. I did them once, a while back.

Our racks are pretty high I guess. Would I start out at my bench max? I’d like to see if I could do them tomorrow and forget all the other tri crap I do. Except of course for the ol pushups.

thanks,
c.

[/quote]

When you lay down on the bench under the racks, make sure that when you grab the bar your arms are NOT at 90 degrees. Your arms need to be ABOVE 90 to isolate your triceps. On my speed week for triceps my arms are about 2 inches above 90. On heavy week they are even higher. Remember this is a very small ROM. My regular bench grip is pinkys on rings, for lockouts I bring them in.

I would warm up with close stance pushups and than start with a weight just under your max on bench. You will be happily surprised as to how much more weight you can lock out. If you noticed, I maxed at 185 on bench and locked out 295 for reps. So pile the heavy on, girlfriend!!! Once you are warm, I wouldn’t do more than 5 reps of any given weight. I would keep adding the weight until you get your 3 rep max.

I can’t wait to hear how it goes, make sure you let me know!

G

Oh and one more thing c,
you mentioned that your racks are pretty high. If you can’t get above 90, than place some boards or plates under your bench to increase the height.

Keep me posted!
G

[quote]GBench wrote:
sic wrote:
Conventional v. sumo:

I love it. I’m 5’11 and finally felt that I could get low enough to really take my back out of the equation. It took a while to get my numbers back to where they were with conventional, but I feel stronger and more solid with sumo.

Thanks sic,
Alot of people have told me that conventional is suppose to be more powerful. To be honest, it looks soooo painful to me. I have issues with my lower back at L4 and L5, and usually bending over at the waist is a killer. I know that you are suppose to use your legs to power the weight up, but my back always jumps in first and rounds out, causing problems.

I am glad to hear that you started with conventional and moved to sumo and you like it. Sumo, just seems like it would be less stress on my back.

Thanks so much for you input![/quote]

I just switched from sumo to conventional a couple of months ago. I was told today I should have stayed with sumo:( Train with both and see which one you prefer. When I learn to dip down lower and use more legs, I was able to keep my back flat.

I love you workouts. I may be stealing some ideas:)

Claire

[quote]I just switched from sumo to conventional a couple of months ago. I was told today I should have stayed with sumo:( Train with both and see which one you prefer. When I learn to dip down lower and use more legs, I was able to keep my back flat.

I love you workouts. I may be stealing some ideas:)

Claire

[/quote]

Thanks Claire, I agree, learning to get as low as possible and use more legs makes sense. Mentally, sumo seems safer for me with my back. I will play with both and figure it out. Trial and error is what its going to take right now.

thanks again
G

[quote]GBench wrote:
When you lay down on the bench under the racks, make sure that when you grab the bar your arms are NOT at 90 degrees. Your arms need to be ABOVE 90 to isolate your triceps. On my speed week for triceps my arms are about 2 inches above 90. On heavy week they are even higher. Remember this is a very small ROM. My regular bench grip is pinkys on rings, for lockouts I bring them in.

I would warm up with close stance pushups and than start with a weight just under your max on bench. You will be happily surprised as to how much more weight you can lock out. If you noticed, I maxed at 185 on bench and locked out 295 for reps. So pile the heavy on, girlfriend!!! Once you are warm, I wouldn’t do more than 5 reps of any given weight. I would keep adding the weight until you get your 3 rep max.

I can’t wait to hear how it goes, make sure you let me know!

G[/quote]

Thanks!!!
Since tomorrow is bench speed, I’ll do the heavy lockouts at like half of 90. I guess that’s 45. And I’ll do sets of 5 till I find my 3rm. narrow grip. I can’t wait!

And on my ME bench days, I’ll do the speed lockouts at just a couple inches past 90.

And of course those evil tri pushups as a tri warm up.
Think I got it.

[quote]Oh and one more thing c,

you mentioned that your racks are pretty high. If you can’t get above 90, than place some boards or plates under your bench to increase the height.
[/quote]

I guess I should have mentioned those holes start way at the bottom, like a few inches off the floor so I’ll have plenty of room to adjust the racks just right. Thanks again. and I will keep ya posted :slight_smile:

c.

165x5

Ok, not a bad training day at all! I am very happy with my bench workout tonight. This was my Heavy week, which means I focused mainly on volume. Heres what happened:

Warmups
barx20
95x10
115x8
135x8

My goal for my next 3 sets is 5 reps each:
165x5 easy!!
165x5
165x4 (I got a little excited on this one and missed the last rep…I definitely had it in me though)

Incline barbell
120x5
125x5 (both very easy, going up next time)
My goal on the incline is 135 for reps.

Decline Barbell
160x5
165x5
Once again easy, going up next time

Negatives
205x1
205x1

I am happy with the workout today, I had lots of rest (10hours of sleep the night before) and plenty of water and food.

Ok, that didn’t work with trying to upload the video. Can anyone give me tips to how to do that?

thanks
G

Never mind, it just took alot longer for the video to come up.

Workout looked great! Awesome video. You have a forza bench!!! I’m jealous.

My goal for incline is to rep 135lb too. I have only manages to get 135lb for one rep. It is so tough to increase weight on the incline.

Great video! Thanks for posting that. You can really see everything working from your leg drive, chest, triceps. Not to mention you made it look dang easy.

How does the belt help you for benching?

c.

[quote]cvb wrote:
Workout looked great! Awesome video. You have a forza bench!!! I’m jealous.

My goal for incline is to rep 135lb too. I have only manages to get 135lb for one rep. It is so tough to increase weight on the incline.[/quote]

Yes, I am lucky to have access to a completely outfitted gym. I train at the Fitness Factory in Charlotte, NC and they have everything, from Strongman implements, power-output racks (use to test your power output), you name it and they have it and if not, than the owner gets it. Its great!!

Yes, I agree the incline can be a beast to increase, but persistance is the key…we will overcome!

G

[quote]c. wrote:
Great video! Thanks for posting that. You can really see everything working from your leg drive, chest, triceps. Not to mention you made it look dang easy.

How does the belt help you for benching?

c.[/quote]

Thanks so much!

I wore the belt this time just to keep an eye on my arch and to see if my butt came off the bench. The set prior I didn’t wear a belt and my shirt covered everything. However, I do wear a belt when I do heavy singles, its a mental thing for me, keeps my back tight and helps me know where my arch is. I set my arch up until I can feel the belt pressing into my back, than I know I’m in the right place.

G

[quote]GBench wrote:
I wore the belt this time just to keep an eye on my arch and to see if my butt came off the bench. The set prior I didn’t wear a belt and my shirt covered everything. However, I do wear a belt when I do heavy singles, its a mental thing for me, keeps my back tight and helps me know where my arch is. I set my arch up until I can feel the belt pressing into my back, than I know I’m in the right place.

G[/quote]

Thanks. I stopped wearing one for some time now but maybe in my next training cycle I’ll work with it again and see if that does help.

c.