T Nation

Training for 18 Inch Axle DL

My next comp has a 18" axle DL 450lbs for reps my max 18" is 525

How should I train for this? Should I try to increase my normal DL, increase my max 18", pull around 450 for reps every week?

my plan was to do lower body twice a week. once doing 18" pulls, front squats,and deficeit SLDL’S

day two back squats, good mornings, single leg squats.

I might throw in some light speed pulls, to keep my technique fresh.

thoughts?

That honestly sounds like a fine plan. A strong man comp me and the guys did last year had the 18" axle, and we jsut trained our DL normally but added in some actually pracice for the event (get out the stop watch, load the bar and go) we’d only do the specific training maybe once a month since its so taxking especialliy in conjunction with regular DL training.

I don’t do strongman, so take this for what it’s worth…If you are going to do 18" axle for reps, then I would train DL for reps. Raising your 1RM will be beneficial, but I think training for reps would have a greater carryover.

I would do some speed work with a submaximal weight, but focus mostly on reps from 90-110% of your goal weight (i.e. 405-495). That should push up you DL max without having to do a bunch of singles.

Remember that when you rep DL’s your form will change as you fatigue. If you only train singles, you won’t be working the lift in a fatigued state, which is what you need to get used to doing.

Again, just my .02.

good answers, thanks guys, I don’t think I should pull for max reps within 60 seconds every week though? that sounds like a good way to overtrain.

I think every other week would be good with in between doing some lighter sets? maybe maxing at 405x5 or something?

Modi I assume you mean pull from 18" for reps right? As my technique is MUCH diffrent from 18" than from the floor.

grip lots of grip thats the main thing with the axle

then yes alternate hell i only do max dl once every 4-6 weeks but then was training my rep for comps every other week after my squat ME do a few wrm ups and set timer and go

Need to see where that lift is in the day as well what you do prior

in shrt get strongr yes heavy ME stuff gm’s box squats kegs stones then also rep work great to alternate it

i really liked doing an me move follow by me rep move either DL. kegs, or frnt squats
Phill

[quote]KO421 wrote:
good answers, thanks guys, I don’t think I should pull for max reps within 60 seconds every week though? that sounds like a good way to overtrain.

I think every other week would be good with in between doing some lighter sets? maybe maxing at 405x5 or something?

Modi I assume you mean pull from 18" for reps right? As my technique is MUCH diffrent from 18" than from the floor.[/quote]

[quote]Phill wrote:

then yes alternate hell i only do max dl once every 4-6 weeks but then was training my rep for comps every other week after my squat ME do a few wrm ups and set timer and go

Need to see where that lift is in the day as well what you do prior

in shrt get strongr yes heavy ME stuff gm’s box squats kegs stones then also rep work great to alternate it

i really liked doing an me move follow by me rep move either DL. kegs, or frnt squats
Phill

KO421 wrote:

Modi I assume you mean pull from 18" for reps right? As my technique is MUCH diffrent from 18" than from the floor.

[/quote]

I ended up pulling today as I felt good and didn’t do any taxing events yesterday.

Worked up to 450x3 but the reps wern’t the greatest 1 or 2 might not have counted in the contest as I didn’t hold the lockout to long, it is hard to tell when lifting by yourself though my goal is/was 5 reps for the contest so that looks very attainable. Depends on where it is in the contest to though, if it is after farmers walks that will SUCK as my grip will be done.

The comp is lift and down signals, not touch and go FYI

I plan on doing them first thing in my DL workout usally on Tuesdays

[quote]Phill wrote:
[/quote]

Many axle DL’s for reps allow straps, while max axle dl’s and cleans don’t normally. Ironic, yes, but still, I’d say this is the case a majority of the time.

[quote]wressler125 wrote:
Phill wrote:

Many axle DL’s for reps allow straps, while max axle dl’s and cleans don’t normally. Ironic, yes, but still, I’d say this is the case a majority of the time.[/quote]

this one dosn’t, I wish, something I should have mentioned

How much time do you have until the competition?

[quote]KO421 wrote:
Modi I assume you mean pull from 18" for reps right? As my technique is MUCH diffrent from 18" than from the floor.[/quote]

Yes, I would rack pull from 18", and again +/- 10%, so some from 16", some from 18" and some from 20".

Keep in mind, I haven’t done any strongman comps, so this is purely based on the carryover effect.

But I would include training at angles/heights just below to just above where you will be competing. Same with weights/distances. Some lighter by 10%, some at competition weight, some heavier by 10%.

Dont overlook simply getting better at a DL full pull. do that at contest load and 18 inch will feel like candy. Thats what i was doing for the comp prior to injury and last practice got to use the actual implement 500lb trap bar dl machine nailed an easdy 12 in 30 secs and called it time limit was 75. I had worked my full conventional DL to 11 reps at 500 in 75 secs. great carry over IMO

sometimes it just simple hard work
Phill

[quote]malonetd wrote:
How much time do you have until the competition?[/quote]

June 9th so about 5 weeks

[quote]KO421 wrote:
malonetd wrote:
How much time do you have until the competition?

June 9th so about 5 weeks[/quote]

if it were me…i would work up to a heavy double or triple full dead…then as a sort of back off set…do an 18" pull with say 365 for 10…if you get 10 add weight the next week(10 lbs)…anyway something that has been working for me…

thanks for all the replys, some good ideas.

I like that idea gags, I’ll give it a shot next week.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Dont overlook simply getting better at a DL full pull. do that at contest load and 18 inch will feel like candy.

Phill[/quote]

Yes, simple and true. I like this idea better than just increasing 1RM.

If you’re competing for reps, train for reps. I also like the idea of pulling at or near contest weight, rather than super heavy or super light. With only 5 weeks to the comp you just need to get your body used to what you will be doing in the competition.

Lots of good ideas here.