T Nation

Training Explosive/Power Lifts and Strength Lifts 2 Consecutive Days?

A bit of a random question here but I was wondering: can explosive/power lifts be trained on consecutive days, along with strength lifts?
Something like this:

DAY 1 UPPER
-Muscle Snatches (power)
-Bench Press (strength)
-assistance stuff

DAY 2 LOWER
-Power Cleans (power)
-Front Squat (strength)
-Assistance stuff

Does that work or is it too much? Should there be a rest day between the two workouts? And what reps ranges should I use eventually for the power lifts? 3x3? 3x5?

If that couldnt work, no olympic lifter would ever progress!

BUT never threat power exercises like strength movements. You cannot add weight as often on power exercises, the goal being both strength and speed

I avoid doing Olympic style lifts when my back is tired, but your strength work the first day seems focused on the chest.

Thanks, as a general rule of thumb, with power exercises should I focus more on bar speed than increasing weight, correct?

That’s not my full routine.
This would be the full thing (we’re talking of 6+ months from now tho, so it’s still a long way to go):

DAY 1 - PUSH
Overhead Press - Strength (5/3/1)
Assistance stuff (Dips, Close grip bench press, Face pulls)

DAY 2 - PULL
Deadlift - Strength (5/3/1)
Assistance stuff (Kroc Rows, Snatch Grip DLs, abs)

DAY 3 - UPPER
Muscle Snatch - Power
Dips - Strength (either 5/3/1 or 5x5)
Assistance stuff (Behind the neck press, Overhead shrugs)

DAY 4 - LOWER
Power Clean - Power
Front Squats - Strength (5/3/1)
Assistance stuff (Back squats, Romanian Deadlifts, abs)

This is the generic idea, still early to have the exact thing down.
If I keep things as they are now, on Day 3 I could superset sets of 5 chinups with the assistance stuff and it shouldn’t fatigue my back that much, but with the Muscle Snatches there should already be enough pulling on that day

Speed and technical efficiency… you could evfen buy the Beast Sensor (www.thisisbeast.com) which measures the speed of the barbell. So you can still focus on improving a number