Training Every Other Day?

What’s up,

I’m curious to see anyone’s experience with training every other day. I’m 34, soon to be 35, and although this is by far the strongest I’ve been in my life, I have reached a point where it’s taking me longer to recover from a training session. My nutrition, supplements, rest, and recovery protocols are solid. I follow the five basic principles of 531.Whether or not stretching a four day program over the course of eight days would benefit my overall recovery is unknown. Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can easily turn any 4 day program into a 3 day repeating workouts every 9 days. I did this with Pervertor as and it worked well. You just have to be patient. I also tried to hit single leg work or sled on upper body days to keep workouts “full body”. It worked well for me at 32.

2 Likes

totally fine. Some of- the templates that get the best feedback are 3 days

I also do much better with three days a week of weight training. That said, I would try to get another 2-3 conditioning/mobility (yoga) sessions in each to week to further help with recovery and overall results.

I’ve always tried and will continue to remain open minded about training. Although a three day program isn’t “Every other day” I can’t ignore how effective and recommend three day programs have been for others. I’m willing to give it a try.

Only 27 here but have some issues that compromise recovery and set lifetime PR’s with Coffinworm 3 days a week. I did well with twice a week even. It can be done and done well.

Yeah I think the every other day got glossed over lol.

I say try it for few weeks see how it goes.

A 4-day program is 4/7 days. If you decide to go with EOD, it’s 4/8. Not much of a difference, but it is a difference of about 25 lifting days/year. I wouldn’t worry about it too much though, especially if it allows for optimal recovery.

I have been doing EOD for a while now; it fits my busy schedule and lackluster sleep/recovery. It also allows a little more free time for family. I have actually made better progress with this schedule than with a 4 or 5 day/week training regimen.

I use the “real” every-other-day; in other words 4 days out of 8. At age 51 I have few major recovery issues. And shifting a lift day forward or back is no big deal when life gets in the way.

2 Likes

This is why I’m starting to like 4-day programs stretched out rather than 3-day programs. Usually the 3-day programs tend to hinge on at least 1 day between sessions, whereas 4-day programs usually don’t.

Many years of “ 10 day weeks”. Every other day for 4 days of programmed lifting. Then 2 days off. Then repeat. I would also program what worked best for me. Day 1 squat, Day 3 BP, Day 5 DL, Day 7 press.
Day 8&9 recovering. If your going to be lifting for years, don’t sweat the numbers of days in a Year lifting. The stronger you get , and the more you lift , the more recovery is needed. A difficult goal is lifting the lowest weights to get the most training effect possible.
Good luck

1 Like