Training/Eating Help for a Beginner?

Cheap as @#$% ground beef, chicken thighs, rice and whatever vegetables come to hand. That’s your main meals and snacks. Oatmeal, milk, chocolate sauce and eggs for breakfast. Get the portions right and that’s your nutrition pretty much sorted.

I used to do your job. Actually, I still do, I just found a small niche that makes it worthwhile. Anyway, prep your meals as much as you can and sneak them in at your post where possible. The shift work you’ll learn to work with.

For training, 531 for Beginners is a great option, especially because you can, if pushed, train twice a week and hit everything that matters.

Also, as has been mentioned before you’ll get good advice here. It often comes bluntly and without sugar coating, but with kind intentions.

2 Likes

You, and ALMOST EVERYBODY who tries one of these dramatic quick fix programs.
I’m not familiar with the specifics of that one, but that’s the truth. I can eat 900 calories a day for maybe 3 days, and then I’m going to eat half a jar of peanut butter, and chase it with a half a box of granola. Haha! Seriously, don’t try these super low calorie days. They will just turn you into a crazy binge eater.

^ Re: your typical day food choices up there. You have a lot of good food sources in there. Oatmeal, greek yogurt (buy the plain kind), cottage cheese, spinach, baked potato, protein powder, low-fat string cheese, butter … These are all good things that can work for you.

Really, this is just a matter of tweaking your macros, getting a little bit creative about finding affordable food options that work for you, and bringing calories up to a level that you can live with and still gradually loose weight. Subtle changes are the best kind. All very doable. Nothing here that can’t be fixed. Remember, a lot of people in Sub-Saharan Africa have lost weight on a budget. :wink: Bad joke, but you get the idea.

You are doing some things right. Don’t be discouraged.

1 Like

Thank you for all the responses. Sorry I haven’t been able to respond it’s
been a very crazy busy couple of days. When I signed up for this website I
also signed up for a HIIT program the night before. So I have taken a few
suggestions from here and there plus doing HIIT workouts, took some foods
out, put some foods in and upd my calories. I started a journal last night
I write the time and date and what I did ie eat, sleep, workout. My body is
sore but I lost one belt notch and I made it past my fluctuating weight of
146-149. This morning I weighed and I made it to 145! That is 20lb weight
loss since I started the first week of June. As soon as we get some
financial things taken care of my boyfriend said he would get me a personal
trainer/nutrionalist to help me get fit, strong and healthy! Hopefully he
will do it too!!! :slight_smile: again thank you everyone.

2 Likes

Awesome! Journals are good. Food scales are helpful. You’re more accountable. And you can see what you’re macros are, how well you’re hitting your goals. And you can show it to someone who knows about nutrition and they’ll be able to tell you where you can improve.

That’s a lot of weight in that amount of time1 I’d say be very gradual now. Bring calories back up a bit and just maintain for a few weeks, then slowly aim for seeing it continue to come down about a pound per week. Nothing extreme. No crazy low calorie diets. Just slow, steady and gradual calorie deficit. Walk as much as you can. [quote=“chrislyn, post:23, topic:220635”]
As soon as we get some financial things taken care of my boyfriend said he would get me a personaltrainer/nutrionalist to help me get fit, strong and healthy! Hopefully he will do it too!!!
[/quote]

That’s not a bad idea, but don’t let it be an excuse. “I will do this when… I get a personal trainer… when I have more money… when I change jobs…” Seeking advice can be good, but you can continue to do this now. There’s no point in waiting.

Four or five months from now, you could be back to 130 just from getting your diet on track and being more active. You could spend the money you would have put toward a trainer into better nutrition so it’s easier to maintain a healthy weight.

Oh no I’m not waiting until I can get the personal trainer. I am sticking
with what I’m doing. Plus my boyfriend is prior military so he has to have
all info upfront and see that you really want it before he will put
anything into it. If I quit what I’m doing he will assume I am not serious
enough :slight_smile:

1 Like