T Nation

Training Decision

I have been training only for functional strength and athletics for quite sometime now. I have developed some pretty good numbers in things like the snatch, clean, squat, deadlift, jerk, and over head squat. I am soon to have triplets though and will not be able to compete for awhile, so I am thinking of switching gears to a more asthetic way of lifting. I just fooled around the other day with some 8 to 12 rep exercise and was suprised that I didn’t fare so well. It seemed like it didn’t matter what the weight was, heavy or light. I failed between 6 and 8 reps. My lactic threshold is non exsistant!

Anyway, I thought with my new found strength I would like to start using it in a 4 day a week, higher volume training. Not just higher in volume like 10 x 3 but higher in reps. I have been using the 10 x 3 for awhile now.

I guess what my question is, is what program do you think would fit for me. I am not your typical over trainer or high volume body builder so I didn’t think that switching to some of the 10 x 3 and 4 x 6 programs would work for me the way they are for others. I could be completely wrong though!

I was thinking that something simple that combined both the low rep/high volume (10 x 3) with the high rep/lower volume (3 x 12) might be perfect. Something like: Big Boy Basics maybe?

Anyone else been in my boat? I like Chad and Christian’s workouts, but can’t decide which one to do. What do you guys think?

[quote]Scottish 190 wrote:

I was thinking that something simple that combined both the low rep/high volume (10 x 3) with the high rep/lower volume (3 x 12) might be perfect. Something like: Big Boy Basics maybe?

Anyone else been in my boat? I like Chad and Christian’s workouts, but can’t decide which one to do. What do you guys think? [/quote]

Not quite sure how that will work out for you. And I think the volume is high in both of your examples.
I really like the basic GVT for increasing strength gains…and EDT.
It seems you are coming off a cycle where you trained as many muscle fibers to fire off at once. It might be good to work with less explosive tempos for a period to build the CNS ability to fire off muscle fiber types one after another instead of all together.

Bump

I personally work in two week cylcles - one where I am using heavy weights 4-6 reps for a total of 15 sets 60-80 reps per body part, second week reps 10-12 sets 100-120 reps per body part. I work legs once a week, upper body twice a week, with one upper body day Push focused with 1 pull exercise, the other switched with 1 push and all pull.

I find this does not burn me out. At the end of the day, I believe that CT’s and CW’s programs, as well as EDT, GVT, etc. are all effective for different folks, and that experimentation is key.

I would look at Pendulum Bodybuilding, Total Body Training, OVT, or the Waterbury method.

Good luck!