Training cycles

I’ve seen articles in the past that say that you can’t continue to make consistent progress in the gym if you always lift in your maximal range. For instance you should be lifting low reps/high poundage for a period of 6 weeks, followed by a period of higher reps/lower weight for conditioning purposes, followed by a third intermediate cycle of moderate weights/reps.

In my own experiences my body will tell me when it’s time to train uber hard with max intensity and when it’s time to do maintenance work cause typically at the end of a 6 week heavy weight cycle I’ll start to get minor gym lifting injuries more often. Minor strains and pinched nerves in my back/shoulder/neck area.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I’d love to hear them or if anyone knows what term I should be searching to find articles about what I’m talking about please help. Most the searches I just did about cycling came up with supplements and juice. I know that this subject has likely been covered many times I was just wanting to see what different theories are out there.

If your train by a conjugated method such as Westside you can near max year around. The pendulum method also offers another option for training with maximal weights year round. Put Dave Tate, Periodization Bible, Eight keys or Pendulum into search engine and you’ll find some great answers!