Training Cert for Older People?

would anyone know whcih certification would be good for training older adults? ty

Some organizations (like ISSA, NASM, and ACE) have specialized “senior fitness” certifications. But pretty much any reputable organization will spend some time covering special populations (like older lifters). You should be good-to-go with pretty much any one.

If your goal as a trainer is to specifically focus on working with older adults, the specialization would be a good idea. But if you’re thinking about getting the info “just in case”, it’s something you can figure out on an as-needed basis and seek out info specific to whatever client you’re dealing with at the time.

I went through the ISSA’s general trainer cert and, at one point, I ended up working with an 82 year old guy. A blend of common sense, book learnin’, and my general experience up to that point allowed me to sort out a good plan for his situation. No problem.

Might depend on formalized of a cert. you need, but something I found helpful was the Washington University in St. Louis physical therapy / movement workshops. It’s not so much a certification; more a continuing education deal.

In other words, older people = more beat up clientele. Showing you have some kind of physical therapy knowledge can be very helpful.