Training Calves a MUST?

I’ve been working my calves lately and they are growing. I stopped doing them on leg day because after doing quads/hams/glutes I’m just so fucked and was half assing calves, so I pretty much give them their own day, or mix them with biceps or another small muscle group.

They still make a pretty damn intense workout on their own. I do about 15-20 sets and they are sore for a good 3-4 days.

I also have a habit of randomly doing bodyweight calf raises on steps or something. Not in a workout or anything. I see a step and go do some calf raises.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I’ve been working my calves lately and they are growing. I stopped doing them on leg day because after doing quads/hams/glutes I’m just so fucked and was half assing calves, so I pretty much give them their own day, or mix them with biceps or another small muscle group.

They still make a pretty damn intense workout on their own. I do about 15-20 sets and they are sore for a good 3-4 days.

I also have a habit of randomly doing bodyweight calf raises on steps or something. Not in a workout or anything. I see a step and go do some calf raises.[/quote]

I do that exact same thing but i dont even need a step i just do it where ever lol

[quote]crod266 wrote:
hardgnr wrote:

I also have a habit of randomly doing bodyweight calf raises on steps or something. Not in a workout or anything. I see a step and go do some calf raises.

I do that exact same thing but i dont even need a step i just do it where ever lol[/quote]

x3

After not training calves for a year or so out of frustration I have made noticeable progress working them twice a week. On my leg day I do both seated and standing with lower volume. Later in the week I do calves/abs/forearms where I increase the volume a considerable amount.

I mess around with the weight and found that I prefer going heavy on the low volume days and a do sort of a wave-loading type thing on the higher volume session. Often I’ll do donkey raises in place of a standing raise during one of the sessions. I like those.

I’ve been sprinting + gym for the past 2-3 months and have noticed a 1" gain in my calves, but haven’t done any direct calf work in the gym during this time…I’ve tried training them in the gym before and tried a couple things like high sets and reps, one long set of say 50 reps, etc. and they did get stronger, just not noticeably bigger

I’ve learned full range of movement makes mine respond best. I do weighted toe raises and make sure to give them a really good stretch.

trained them last season up to 4 times a week , haven’t included them his year to see how it goes , if your training your legs they will grow proportionally allegedly lol

[quote]Professor xXx wrote:
I’ve learned full range of movement makes mine respond best. I do weighted toe raises and make sure to give them a really good stretch.[/quote]

IMPOSTER!!!

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Professor xXx wrote:
I’ve learned full range of movement makes mine respond best. I do weighted toe raises and make sure to give them a really good stretch.

IMPOSTER!!![/quote]

Oh shit! We have a spy amung us!

i think when training calves you must remember to aggressively stretch after the workout. i never really got growth and lost a ton of ROM in my ankles when i trained calves and didnt stretch. my magical ingredient was a solid 5-8 minutes of max calf stretching after every calf workout.

fatcat, how much actual measurable difference did you see after adding this stretching? (no other changes, diet etc?)

im still trying to work out exactly what is optimum for my calfs.

In my 1st year of training i put 2" onto each calf without any direct work.

In my second year ive only gained 0.5" again without direct work.

Currently im training them hard 2x weekly but i cant say im noticing much

I did do them, I used to do really high weight, low rep sets. the weight was more then my squat, I am only starting out though mind you :wink:

Now I do high rep work, with just a little less volume. I have had to go to doing one leg at a time, with dumbbells, just so I can lift it!

I do calf raises, maybe 2 times a week, and I have seen growth recently.