Training Calfs Before Squatting?

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
You know, I’m not convinced that the calves would inhibit your squat at all. Maybe the walkout, but they just don’t do anything in a squat.[/quote]

Not the calves by themselves. It’s more of a CNS issue. It’s highly likely that the CNS would get tired after those calf sets. The result is a lesser ability to squat.

Most people who train DC style hit their calves prior to squats. Hell I train calves>Hams>Quads, and my legs are jacked. 90% of the time I squat for Quads.

[quote]2274 wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
You know, I’m not convinced that the calves would inhibit your squat at all. Maybe the walkout, but they just don’t do anything in a squat.

Not the calves by themselves. It’s more of a CNS issue. It’s highly likely that the CNS would get tired after those calf sets. The result is a lesser ability to squat.[/quote]

You must do some intense calf work if it eats into your squats. Personally, I don’t understand it, I’d rather do calves after squatting just because little stuff like calves is all I feel like doing after squats. I don’t think it would cause any problems, though.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
2274 wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
You know, I’m not convinced that the calves would inhibit your squat at all. Maybe the walkout, but they just don’t do anything in a squat.

Not the calves by themselves. It’s more of a CNS issue. It’s highly likely that the CNS would get tired after those calf sets. The result is a lesser ability to squat.

You must do some intense calf work if it eats into your squats. Personally, I don’t understand it, I’d rather do calves after squatting just because little stuff like calves is all I feel like doing after squats. I don’t think it would cause any problems, though.

[/quote]

i would perfer to do calves after squats also but,on this 5x5 program after squats i have to either bench and bent over row or military and deadlift.So after all that there is nothing left in the tank…

[quote]JACKC wrote:
Any body train there calfs before they squat??? Any down side to doing this??? Thanks for any help-Jack[/quote]

Hey Jack,

Is this you?

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=70117&tid=

Justin Harris answers your question here -or a question just like yours.

Cheers!