Training Builds Upon Training

captain obvious post of the day . But it’s something I think we often lose sight of.

You 5 3 1 builds on your Texas method snd westside builds on that and Josh stuff etc.

I was thinking about this recently . So many ask questions about what to do in the next month , Three months , etc. But what you’re doing today good or bad will have ripples and effects for years .

At the ironsport seminar vinnie was talking about the military . He used it to get to a 600 lb raw bench . He hit 400 around that time. Getting it to 405 didn’t do much more. He was wondering about the value then of the exercise. But getting to 400 was helpful .

You can do it all but maybe not today.

Tom, nice post.
I personally wonder how cyclical stuff is. Robbing from Peter to pay Paul…
Nobody is equally weak across their muscle groups, so let’s say you’ve got a guy who needs additional upper back work to bring up his bench. So he does it…and it helps his bench.

In the meantime the volume for his triceps and delts remains baseline and now the back is online with the other muscle groups and he realizes he needs to put more work into triceps, so the triceps get more attention and the back doesn’t get the extra volume–

Do you find this to be true because I see it in my own training. Partially because my programming sucks right now but also because I’m limited on the amount of time I can spend at the gym on any given day with family obligations etc. so if I throw in extra work somewhere it’s pretty dedicated to a certain area.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
captain obvious post of the day . But it’s something I think we often lose sight of.

You 5 3 1 builds on your Texas method snd westside builds on that and Josh stuff etc.

I was thinking about this recently . So many ask questions about what to do in the next month , Three months , etc. But what you’re doing today good or bad will have ripples and effects for years .

At the ironsport seminar vinnie was talking about the military . He used it to get to a 600 lb raw bench . He hit 400 around that time. Getting it to 405 didn’t do much more. He was wondering about the value then of the exercise. But getting to 400 was helpful .

You can do it all but maybe not today. [/quote]

Excellent post, and definitely needed for some people in this forum who lose sight of the fact that training is a process.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Excellent post, and definitely needed for some people in this forum who lose sight of the fact that training is a process.[/quote]

Today means nothing without yesterday and tomorrow.

This is why any good program will have built-in progression scheme. So many people just list a bunch of exercises, sets, and reps and ask if the program is good. What you do now affects everything down the road, which is why you have to put some reasonable plan for progression in place.

exactly. In regards to the upper back triceps example. For instance, I started with sears weight set . 110 lbs. I added metal York weights, a better exercise bench. Capacity might have been 400 or so total pounds btw.

I had 200 or so pounds of weight. I was benching 205 at 132 and 16. I was deadlifting 205. I was squatting 110 for sets of ten. I had to clean and press the weight . Squat it, then push jerk it off set it down , repeat
I was a stronger bencher . When I went to college I worked hard to bring up the sq and dl. Now I was weighing 142 and benching 215-220, deadlifting mid 300s and squatting low 300s . I had to cut weight to make 132 and lifted there for a year . I did official lifts of 340/230/360, maybe 235 leaving some on the platform that day . It was the state championships for teenagers and I had it won on openers and had no drive that day . This was in one federation days btw.

But I digress . My point is I did what I could which was a lot of upper body. I concentrated hard on my sq and dl when I could , but my bench lagged then . And back and forth . Many of us will go through this .

You go from 130-210 and your squat , desdlift, and bench form might change . Just due to different proportions. When I was 132 I had great squat form . Now at 200+ I don’t think it’s as good snd I point the finger at box squats . I knew below parallel like I knew scratching my nose. Now i’ve had to concentrate on depth again at a heavier weight .

It all adds up to where you’re at. Training in sn organized fashion is never wasted .

[quote]unstable wrote:
Tom, nice post.
Nobody is equally weak across their muscle groups, so let’s say you’ve got a guy who needs additional upper back work to bring up his bench. So he does it…and it helps his bench.

In the meantime the volume for his triceps and delts remains baseline and now the back is online with the other muscle groups and he realizes he needs to put more work into triceps, so the triceps get more attention and the back doesn’t get the extra volume–

Do you find this to be true because I see it in my own training. Partially because my programming sucks right now but also because I’m limited on the amount of time I can spend at the gym on any given day with family obligations etc. so if I throw in extra work somewhere it’s pretty dedicated to a certain area.

[/quote]

exactly. In regards to the upper back triceps example. For instance, I started with sears weight set . 110 lbs. I added metal York weights, a better exercise bench. Capacity might have been 400 or so total pounds btw.

I had 200 or so pounds of weight. I was benching 205 at 132 and 16. I was deadlifting 205. I was squatting 110 for sets of ten. I had to clean and press the weight . Squat it, then push jerk it off set it down , repeat
I was a stronger bencher . When I went to college I worked hard to bring up the sq and dl. Now I was weighing 142 and benching 215-220, deadlifting mid 300s and squatting low 300s . I had to cut weight to make 132 and lifted there for a year . I did official lifts of 340/230/360, maybe 235 leaving some on the platform that day . It was the state championships for teenagers and I had it won on openers and had no drive that day . This was in one federation days btw.

But I digress . My point is I did what I could which was a lot of upper body. I concentrated hard on my sq and dl when I could , but my bench lagged then . And back and forth . Many of us will go through this .

You go from 130-210 and your squat , desdlift, and bench form might change . Just due to different proportions. When I was 132 I had great squat form . Now at 200+ I don’t think it’s as good snd I point the finger at box squats . I knew below parallel like I knew scratching my nose. Now i’ve had to concentrate on depth again at a heavier weight .

It all adds up to where you’re at. Training in sn organized fashion is never wasted .

[quote]unstable wrote:
Tom, nice post.

[/quote]

Another example is stretching . At age 15 I read an article in the old Muscle Builder Power, now muscle and fitness.

This was when they had a women’s section .
I think 33 years ago . Mandy Tanny wrote a great article on stretching and pointed out that both men and women should do it . So I did it daily for fifteen years and had very good flexibility . I slacked of for years because I was good at it . Over twenty years I of course lost mobility .

Now after picking it up again wouldn’t you know I have less aches and pains . I think I’m better off than if I never did it but would be better off if I kept at it 3 x per week .