Training Break

Hey guys,

I’m 17 and started lifting 3.5 months ago. I’ve made excellent progress so far (or in my mind at least) …40 pound increase in bench, 3/4 of an inch on my arms (for some benchmarks to show my improvement) The last couple weeks though, I’ve been getting tired and havent been increasing weight and in some cases going down in weight. I havent taken more than a 2 day break in the past 3 months and my nutrition has remained the same. Do you guys think now would be a good time to take a week break? That’s what im considering doing. Also, during my one week break would it be ok to do some running during the week without any lifting involved?

thanks
-phil

Phil you might one to take a week off it wouldn’t hurt. I remember taking a week off after one training cycle and I maintained all the numbers in my lifts.

Textbook overtraining, bud. Don’t let Ike see this, he’ll rap on your knuckles with a slide rule.

Yes, take a break. Yes, eat more. Yes, allow (significantly) more time for recovery. No, don’t aim for failure on every set. Cardio? Sure.

DI

Ian King has suggested 1 week break every 3-6 weeks. Now that’s mental toughness! I find it was hard enough just going to a 4 day split rather than 5.

Also, how long per session are you training? If it’s much more than an hour you risk overtraining which might be why your wiped. But you might just need the break. Now’s as good a time as any. Running should be fine…or just plain passive rest on your couch. Just keep the diet good.

Alright, thanks a lot guys…Any more replies too would be appreciated. I actually lift for about an hour ; 3 days on 1 day off 3 days on 1 day off… The only time I exceed an hour is if I do 15 mins of cardio afterwards.

I’m the same age as you. Take a week off, don’t do any cardio, just sleep and eat the same as you have been (a lot
I assume?).

It feels weird to be sitting around, but I always seem to gain the most after a break away.

I’ve been lifting about 8-9 months. During this time I’ve changed programs every now and then, eaten right, and taken regular breaks (all T-style) and have gained a good 10kg (22lb)- I’m now 82kg at 13% (which I’ve started HIIT to lose a little).

Overall, if you know T-mag you know your stuff.

i wouldnt train more than two days in a row without taking a break.

Too late.

Everything was going great. You’re still doing what you did before, but now it isn’t working. Results have stalled.

My favorite definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.