Training Barefoot

who else trains barefoot? if not, what shoes do you use?

today after a light practice, our team went into the weight room for about an hour or so. i got some funny looks and one kid asked me as i was about to squat if i knew that i was in my socks.

there had been a link to a video on here of John Cena training barefoot

I squat wearing Keds. Low to no sole and no added inches to the heels.

Here is the link

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1894855

I always train in socks.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
I always train in socks.[/quote]

ugly feet?

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Here is the link

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1894855

[/quote]

thanks. nothing like a public figure to convince the underclassmen, lol. one thing i was surprised about is that everyone who asked me about it seemed interested, rather than trying to tell me i was ‘doing it wrong’

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:
I always train in socks.

ugly feet?[/quote]

Naw my feet are picturesque.

Don’t want to get athletes foot is all.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:
I always train in socks.

ugly feet?

Naw my feet are picturesque.

Don’t want to get athletes foot is all.[/quote]

I think my feet are now immune.

I train barefoot.

I think feet are gross, so it would bug me at the gym seeing people train without shoes or socks.

Plus you don’t have good stability, or traction-plus danger of dropping weight-

I prefer weightlifting shoes, I have tried flat converse, bare feet and the weightlifting shoes give me the best results by far-for squats-

Weightlifting shoes are preferred shoes for most of the IPF, and USAPL so thats another reason to invest in a pair. They last forever also.

startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Equipment

Scroll down to shoes to see the different ones.

my gym won’t let you train barefoot

if I do lifts at home I train barefoot

i take care of my feet, and i reckon they’ll stick around just as long as a weightlifting shoe. to each his own i guess

I used to train calves either barefoot or in socks. Now I just wear Nike Frees.

I’ve been meaning to experiment with squatting barefoot just to see how it feels, but it always slips my mind once I get to the gym.

I prefer to train barefoot, particularly because we have rubber mat flooring in the gym, its really cumfy.
Its a comercial gym tho so I have to wear shoes in opening hours, I wear crosstrainers not ideal but better than running shoes.

I thik it would depend alot on what type of foot you have. I would never recomend some body with a high arch to train barefoot, they need support.

[quote]shizen wrote:
I think feet are gross, so it would bug me at the gym seeing people train without shoes or socks.

Plus you don’t have good stability, or traction-plus danger of dropping weight-

I prefer weightlifting shoes, I have tried flat converse, bare feet and the weightlifting shoes give me the best results by far-for squats-

[/quote]

I pretty much agree with the above. Except I wear Asics running shoes as my liftin’ shoe. I wear shoes to “protect” my feet. It’s more of a mental crutch. If I’m wearing shoes and a weight happens to fall on them, then it won’t hurts AS bad. Lame.

Until I started competing, I did pretty much everything barefoot; Squat, Deadlift, Bench, the lot!
Even now, if I forget my All-Stars I’ll squat barefoot. Squatted fully equipped barefoot a few times. It gives a great sense of where the weight is vs. wearing shoes, and you can adjust things on the fly with walkouts a lot easier.
I am flat footed though, and always used to go barefoot in summer and in pickup touch football games growing up.

I’ve found that when i go above 405, i dont have enough stability in my nike free’s to keep a strong base, so all my sets above that become barefoot.

I just bought some chucks for once i start lifting at my school’s rec in the fall, no barefeet allowed, and hopefully they will work better.

I always train barefoot.

I train in my garage with Metallica’s Black album blaring, and, if any of the old folks (I live in a geriatric town) have a problem with my mindraping metal music they won’t dare approach me.

Yeah, they smell that bad.

[quote]Doyle wrote:
I prefer to train barefoot, particularly because we have rubber mat flooring in the gym, its really cumfy.
Its a comercial gym tho so I have to wear shoes in opening hours, I wear crosstrainers not ideal but better than running shoes.

I thik it would depend alot on what type of foot you have. I would never recomend some body with a high arch to train barefoot, they need support. [/quote]

This could be why I did not like bare feet as much also, I have a huge arch for my feet and with heavy weight it just feels awkward.

Barefoot is definately the way to go. I just bought a mat from McMaster Carr. It is used for factory floors and workers that stand in one spot all day. I bought the thickest one and it is unbelievable for squatting and DLing. Incredibly comfortable and I feel it a little bit in the calves. I think when the weight is light there is a little destabilization that activates everything from my calves to my core. When the weights get heavy my feet sink in and are stable.

[quote]shizen wrote:
-plus danger of dropping weight- [/quote]

That was a joke right? I mean, why do you think they put that pink rubber on the dumbells? It’s to protect your bare foot, mate!