T Nation

Training Atheletes

I am interested in the certain approaches,techniques, guidelines, and considerations when training atheletes.

Yes, atheletes are all about performance. However, in today's world, atheletes possess the most impressive physiques out there, plus its functional!

When training an athelete:

*What type of split approach is most effectively utilized? ( I believe Upper and Lower?)

*What kind of techniques are used?

*What model of Periodization should be employed? + How? (Non Linear, indulating, or Conjugate?)

*What considerations should come to mind when training an athelete, striving for muscle gain + relative/absolute strength?

*Cycling Volume/Intensity/Frequency?

How would one organize the overall basic premise of the training regimen? (Rep/Sets,the cycling of different qualities, techniques, periodize, progression,exercise organization/selection)

Any help would be appreciated.

That's a huge set of questions - you're looking at a textbook worth of answers there.

A couple of places to start would be to check out Science and Practice of Strength Training by Dr. Z, a decent conceptual biomechanics book (you can go quantitative if you want obviously), and a text encompassing general human and exercise physiology.

Once you have that generally down, you do an analysis of the demands of a sport (biomechanical, physiological, psychological, etc), the time frame, the current condition of the athlete, and how to best go about improving what needs to be improved with the time/equipment available.

The NSCA textbook does a pretty good job explaining how to coach/train an athlete as well, but it doesn't go much into the whys of physics/physiology.

I'm sure others will have some resource suggestions as well, these are just a couple off the top of my head.

short responses to your questions below

One thing about training athletes is that they don't isolate their bodyparts. The train the body as a system. I think even the everyday gym-goer should do the same thing. Mostly compound movements.

Most of the questions you just asked there are totaly dependent on the athletes sport. You have to know their sports inside and out, and understand how the body would best perform in those conditions in order to have a good understanding as to how you should go about training them.

I am interested in the same topic.