Training Around Knee Injury

Due to a patellar tendon injury I have been unable to perform exercises that put a lot of strain on my tendon such as squats or lunges. I want to get back into training legs but I am not sure how to program a day or two a week into my schedule. Are there any negatives to training 1 leg more than the other? What are some good compound leg exercises that do not put too much strain on the knees? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Try all of them and do what doesn’t hurt.

Good place to start

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/strength-training-search/video

Seriously, it hurts, stop.

Oh, and get it fixed.

Thanks I appreciate the reply. I have tried to get it fixed but after a lot of time and money my knee is no better off. Is training 1 leg more than the other for a long period of time bad?

[quote]HWPO wrote:
Thanks I appreciate the reply. I have tried to get it fixed but after a lot of time and money my knee is no better off. Is training 1 leg more than the other for a long period of time bad?[/quote]

Sounds like you need rehab, not lifting.

I’ve rehabbed, done prp and had surgery. So it’s not going away anytime soon. I’m just tired of doing nothing so I’m looking for ways to work around it.

Because of a shoulder injury, I did nothing but water running for 6 months. The funny thing is because of the exaggerated movement of the run, my knees never felt better after.

Sled pulling (forward and backwards) was also very good for my knees.

I just read a lot of articles and used my brains (not a derogatory remark, just saying that you can make up your own mind.).

Good luck

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]HWPO wrote:
Thanks I appreciate the reply. I have tried to get it fixed but after a lot of time and money my knee is no better off. Is training 1 leg more than the other for a long period of time bad?[/quote]

Sounds like you need rehab, not lifting. [/quote]

What’s wrong with both?

Just do what doesn’t hurt. It is not rocket surgery.

That whole “unilateral training will affect the other side” is mostly BS. Been there, done that, and failed. The studies are based on patients, not lifters.

Do what doesn’t hurt, as have been said.

Maybe you could try reverse hypers, RDLs.

And very carefully try leg presses with feet high up on the platform?

Thanks for the reply Carl. Rdls and reverse hypers are great suggestions . I will also hit single leg leg press hard, and try to ease into both legs with the feet higher.