Training Around/After an Injury - Program Critique

7 months after shoulder surgery* and I’m working on my 3rd week of a 3 day/week full body “back into the gym” program. I’d like anyone to chime in with suggestions. I have a few limitations but I’d love to hear what you have to say…

Squats 1x12 3x8 1x6
Lat pull downs (must be very gentle) 4x12
Bicep curls 4x12
Tricep extensions 4x12
abs (various)
Back extensions 4x12 (weighted)
front raise 3x10 (if tolerated)
box step ups 3x10

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I’ll be going back for another MRI after T-giving as I might have already blown one of the repairs.

I keep telling myself, “Symmetry is for losers.” :wink:

Cheers,

e

*Full rotator cuff, decompression, SLAP, Plication

Damn, i’ve torn something nasty in my shoulder before, but it looks like your making great progress.

I couldn’t do lat pull downs until three months later, or squats because of the arm positioning.

You doing the rubber band rehab?

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
Damn, i’ve torn something nasty in my shoulder before, but it looks like your making great progress.

I couldn’t do lat pull downs until three months later, or squats because of the arm positioning.

You doing the rubber band rehab?[/quote]

I’ve been doing therabands since I was 15 - My PT (who I really don’t trust/like…need to change that) wants me to do more iso-exercises to stabilize my capsule. I told him I wasn’t going to treat it any different than my other arm, i.e. motorcycling, sports, sex, etc.

I’m about 10lbs lighter than my pic (5’2" and 113) now and the asymmetry is practically embarrassing. Mentally, the loss of size and strength are driving me nuts. On a positive note I think if I wanted to attempt a fitness athlete I might be able to. If only I could give up beer!

I’ve selected lifts I felt comfortable with. It really is a slow process and my patience is waning.

So, any suggestions on the program? I did a few lumberjack chops tonight (to ROM) and it felt pretty good. I’m just so frustrated I can’t do deads, bench, mil pres, pull ups, etc. That was once the core of my workout and I feel like everyone is watching me do curls and snarling inside…

e

Lumberjacks are good. Follow your PT’s advice and do the iso-excersises on the presses and shoulders. If you do not get the strength/stability back then you could be un-proportional for possibly the rest of your life. Shoulder injuries suck I know, but they take time.

With the Iso-excersies, just take reps SUPER slow, and light weight IMO. Then Work up. Run that by your PT and see what he thinks.

Look at it this way: Rome wasn’t built in a day, it took years, and yes things didn’t go as planned during the contruction, but eventually the job was finished.

Bodybuilding is a life long sport, just because you are unportional now and whatnot, doesn’t mean it will be that way forever. Just get yourself Fixed up first.