T Nation

Training and sports in the same day

There are some days where I do a moderate weight workout in the morning (say 5x5 chins and 5x5 military press or something) and then play a full soccer game in the evening. What is the best way to structure nutrition on these days? John Berardi recommends Surge post workout and then 2 carb+protein meals afterwards. Should this combination occur after the weights in the morning or the soccer in the evening?

I train for boxing in the a.m. and practive boxing specifically in the evening. My daily food intake goes as follows: (worked great so far, Tampa-Terry helped with it)

6am - P+C
8am - P
9am - Train
11am - PW shake
1pm - P+C
3pm - P+C
5pm - P+F
7pm - boxing
9-10pm - PW shake

So far that scheme has worked great. At times it's hard to fit in all those meals, and sometimes due to water intake it's tough to even feel like eating a meal. Overall my caloric intake is usually right now since Im trying to cut weight slowly in between 2,700 and 3,300 per day.

Da Boxer

Does "moderate weight workout" mean lower volume or less intensity? If your intensity is high and you're doing 10 sets of 5 reps then take Surge. If it's not high then opt for a P+C meal. I also suggest P+C meals after workouts and a P+F meal before your soccer game.

I usually do 5 sets of 5 reps of chins and 5 sets of 5 reps of military press. The weight is relatively heavy, but I do not reach failure on any of the sets.