Training and Fatigue

I am trying to get back into shape and I have been working out hard this week. I did weight lifting Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday (upper body, lower body, upper body respectively). I did MMA training on Tuesday and Thursday (conditioning, sparring, and grappling).

I have been eating cleanly and getting at least eight hours of sleep each night. My main focus is losing fat while retaining (and hopefully building) muscle.

I am sometimes still sore from a workout when it comes time to work the next muscle group again. Also, the MMA training is a total body workout. I wouldn’t however, say that I am extremely sore.

Additionally, even though I’m getting good rest, I still could easily be sleeping 10 hours every night. However, that is not realistic.

My questions are as follows:

1. Should I be working out if I’m still sore?
  2. Is getting more sleep (sometimes) preferable to getting up and exercising if I am truly tired or fatigued? Am I not sleeping enough?
  1. Yes it is fine

2. Sounds like you’re already getting enough sleep even though it will probably never feel like “enough” sleep. Heck, I think I could easily sleep for 12 hours a day.

As a beginner, I think you may want to focus on developing the HABIT of getting up to workout, even when feeling a little run-down. Once the habit has been developed and you become more experienced, you will be able to better determine if you truly need to get that extra sleep every now and then.

[quote]Ntroych wrote:

1. Yes it is fine

2. Sounds like you’re already getting enough sleep even though it will probably never feel like “enough” sleep. Heck, I think I could easily sleep for 12 hours a day.

As a beginner, I think you may want to focus on developing the HABIT of getting up to workout, even when feeling a little run-down. Once the habit has been developed and you become more experienced, you will be able to better determine if you truly need to get that extra sleep every now and then.[/quote]

Thanks for the thoughts on this!

I have been continuing to train regardless of the questions I had. Just didn’t want to be doing anything that would be detrimental instead of helpful.

Thanks again!

Ntroych hit it spot on, but I’ll chime in with a bit more.

[quote]iamthesamurai wrote:

1. Should I be working out if I’m still sore?[/quote]

Nothing wrong with training when you’re still a little sore, though ideally, any lingering soreness with disappear 90% by the time you’re done with your general warm-up or at least withing the first few sets.

Even though you’re trying to lose fat, make sure you’re getting enough protein, and make sure your calories aren’t dropped too low (since it sounds like you’re training fairly hard five days a week). Having some Surge Recovery or Surge Workout Fuel during your workouts will also definitely help.

You’re sleeping plenty, and the stress and drain of training is something your body does have to get used to, but maybe try to grab a decent afternoon nap on the weekends.

I second Colucci and Ntroych. Working out if you’re a little sore is okay. Most of the time, the soreness will stop ocurring after a couple of weeks of serious lifting. If you can’t walk, you probably shouldn’t train that day. In between, use your own discretion.

More sleep is typically always better. BUt 8 hrs of solid sleep should be enough. Your body will adapt.

Solid diet with plenty of polunsaturated fats and protein will help recovery (not because they’re miracle macronutrients, but because they’re good).

Thanks, guys!