T Nation

Training and Eating Advice Please

Hi guys after some advice please. Want to bulk, have been eating/training as per below. Have probably been doing this for ~1mnth… I feel like i’ve gained a small amount of fat but no real size. Does this mean i should just YOLO and go harder on macros or keep them the same? Or any other theories?

Plz commetn on macro split and training… more interested in volume/intensity/split comments than specific exercises - due to some old injuries there are certain things that do/don’t work for me. thanks in advance.

Me; ~74kg / 13% BF / ~170cm

Eating; 2500 cals, 220P / 280C / 50F

training 5x per week, 3 upper body 2 lower body. 4 sets per excercise, 6-10 reps and last set drop set.

Training;

Chest/tri/abs:
Bench
Rope PD
Ab wheel
cable flyes
Kick backs
Wood choppers

Back/Bis/Shoulders:
T-bar rows
hammer curls
Shoulder press
Pull downs
Rear delt flyes
cable bicep curls with Vbar

Legs:
Squats
Good mornings
one leg seated calf raises
Leg extensions
Hamstring curls
machine calf raises

[quote]Mantra46 wrote:
Have probably been doing this for ~1mnth.
[/quote]

I stopped reading after this. You’ve been training for 1 month, what were you expecting to happen in that short space of time?

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Mantra46 wrote:
[/quote]

I stopped reading after this. You’ve been training for 1 month, what were you expecting to happen in that short space of time?[/quote]So did I, but came back to read the rest of it. Your split makes no sense to me. 3 upper and 2 lower and you are on a three days split 5 days a week?

Try this instead:

And yeah, 1 month? Be consistent for 6 month and see what happens.

If you’re new to training, don’t worry about drop sets. Leave some room to move for when you get stuck.

Also, what does your food look like? Post food that goes into your mouth, not numbers that come off a spreadsheet.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Mantra46 wrote:
[/quote]

I stopped reading after this. You’ve been training for 1 month, what were you expecting to happen in that short space of time?[/quote]

More than that apparently. OP, pick a good program (lots on this site) and pick a good diet (same deal, tons here) and stick with both for six months or so. Be patient. Be consistent.

I’d drop the protein to something around 150 gr and bump up the fat towards 80-90 s. You’re having unnecessary amounts of protein, considering that you’re not on drugs.

Training around old injuries is one thing, but as the others mentioned you need a program that makes more sense.
What about upper/lower, push/pull, or push/pull/legs? Consistancy, hardwork, and a decent plan is what gets you started.
What are you eating too?

Drop the carbs a bit and replace with fats. And yeah forget about drops sets/failure work

What injuries? What are your limitations? Have you done anything outside of this one month of training?

One month is not enough time to really see any results. Find a well balanced program, like 5/3/1, and do it for a year. Find your approximate daily caloric requirement and eat a few hundred calories over that. 1.5g of protein per pound of LBM is adequate. If you’re getting fat, eat a little less fat. If you’re feeling sluggish, eat a few more (quality) carbs.

Don’t over think it. Eat right, train hard. The rest will work itself out.

thanks for the responses. I did a terrible job of explaining myself so i’ve updated wit more back-story.

i have tried more established programs like 5/3/1, but given that I could not do many of the key exercises at my maximum (standing military press/dead lift) due to injuries i went away from it.

Also, i guess the crux of what i’m asking is;

If you observe some amount of fat gain accompanied by minimal muscle gain does this mean;
A. you’re not eating enough still or your macros are wrong

or

B. Your training is clearly wrong as if you’re gaining fat, but not muscle, hence upping the calories won’t help you.

Or i guess C.

It’s all wrong.

A, B, or C… after just a month, it’s impossible to tell.

Please give more details on you injuries. Why are deads and OHP your limiting factors? (You can modify a plan like 5/3/1 to include other exercises.)