Training and Diet Advice

Hi guys,

I have two questions â?? one about protein shakes and the other about getting lean and ripped. Hope you can help me out.

My workout routine is pretty basic: pull-ups, ring dips and stairs.

Workout 1: 200 pull-ups with 100 of them weighted at 15% of my bodyweight followed by a 20-min stair-climb. The plan is to progressively push all 200 pull-ups to weighted pull-ups at about 35% of my bodyweight.

Workout 2: 200 ring dips with 100 of them weighted at 25% of my bodyweight followed by a 20-min stair-climb. Like the pull-ups, the plan is to progressively push all 200 dips to weighted dips at about 35% of my bodyweight.

I alternate between these two workouts for six days a week i.e. day 1: chins, day 2: dips, day 3: chins, and so on.

Iâ??ve been following this routine for about two weeks, and my ultimate goal is to get lean and ripped. Do you guys reckon Iâ??m pushing hard enough?

Also, are two scoops of protein shake (one in the early morning after my workout and one in the evening) too much? I just started using ON Gold Standard Whey Isolate â?? itâ??s about 26 grams of protein per scoop.

My daily diet is a serving of fish or quinoa, a cup of milk, three eggs (egg white only), some whole grains, some rice or bread, some almonds, a banana or orange, a whole lot of vegetables, some turkey or chicken breast here and there.

Oh ya and on the seventh day, I do a super easy 5km run (around 7 minutes per km) in the park to get out and get some fresh air. And Iâ??m also planning to throw in an easy 30 min swim on one of the weekdays (probably midweek) to get some sun (perks of living in a tropical country â?? just an idea though, havenâ??t got started yet.)

Thank for the advice.

[quote]stairschinsdips wrote:
My daily diet is a serving of fish or quinoa, a cup of milk, three eggs (egg white only), some whole grains, some rice or bread, some almonds, a banana or orange, a whole lot of vegetables, some turkey or chicken breast here and there.
[/quote]

IMO…if you wish to go from good to better, you need the exact quantities of the food and drink you are consuming and your daily macros calculated.

Step one is define what it will take for you to be what you consider to be “lean and ripped”. Do you need more muscle mass? Less body fat?
other goals?

[quote]stairschinsdips wrote:
Workout 1: 200 pull-ups with 100 of them weighted at 15% of my bodyweight followed by a 20-min stair-climb. The plan is to progressively push all 200 pull-ups to weighted pull-ups at about 35% of my bodyweight.

Workout 2: 200 ring dips with 100 of them weighted at 25% of my bodyweight followed by a 20-min stair-climb. Like the pull-ups, the plan is to progressively push all 200 dips to weighted dips at about 35% of my bodyweight.

I alternate between these two workouts for six days a week i.e. day 1: chins, day 2: dips, day 3: chins, and so on.

I�¢??ve been following this routine for about two weeks, and my ultimate goal is to get lean and ripped. Do you guys reckon I�¢??m pushing hard enough?[/quote]
It’s not an issue of “working hard” or not. It’s about working effectively in a way that will get you closer to your actual goals. With the way you’re currently training, the number one thing that’s going to happen is that you’ll get better at doing pull-ups and dips. That’s what high rep training does. It’s not the best way to train for fat loss or muscle building.

Following a program that gives attention to each muscle group is going to build total body strength and muscle, moreso than just doing two bodyweight exercises (even with weighted versions). Do you have access to a full gym or more training equipment, so we can figure out a better program for you to stick to?

Granted, there are some dudes who do nothing but “bar work” - tons of different kinds of dips and pull-ups - but they train like it’s their job and they use very challenging variations of the exercises. Overall, I’d say you’re still better off using a “normal” training routine. You can definitely still incorporate some chins and dips into the plan.

If two scoops of protein per day was “too much”, 98% of the guys on this site would be in catastrophic trouble. No, man, 52 grams of powdered protein per day is fine. But like BlueCollar said, if your goal is fat loss, buckling down and paying closer attention to exactly what/how much you’re eating will be critical. Also, whole eggs are almost always a better option than egg whites, even when cutting. The healthy fats are important for a bunch of reasons.

For reference, what’s your height, weight, and general fat level (not a percentage, but are you pudgy, pretty lean, etc.)?