T Nation

Training and Avoiding Fatigue

I posted this question on the vert/speed thread and didn’t get much feedback.

I just got back to school and I’ll be playing pick up basketball at least 3 times a week and doing skill work 4-5 times.

I’ve been doing 4 days of lifting a week with my Vertical Jump Bible program, 2 leg days and 2 upper body and am wondering what you guys think about how to use the same VJB program a little differently since I’ll be playing more ball.

I’m thinking of using an ultimate split Kelly Baggett talks about for the legs, so leg days would be mon, friday, wed then repeat and I’d continue doing 2 days of upper body. Just wanted to know what some of you would recommend so I continue to strengthen my legs in the first 6 weeks before the season starts. Thanks for any help.

Which goal is a higher priority at this time, lifting or playing ball?

just warm up and work through it.

[quote]BobDigiNY wrote:
I’m thinking of using an ultimate split Kelly Baggett talks about for the legs, so leg days would be mon, friday, wed then repeat and I’d continue doing 2 days of upper body. [/quote]

That sounds like a good plan. Just monitor your strength and performance levels on the court. If you find yourself slower and/or not jumping as high cut back some more (or just skip a couple sessions).

Let’s face it, doing back to school your biggest recovery problem will likely be lack of sleep (hopefully from partying and not studying).