Training Alone

The primary reason I want to have a few others around is that I am relatively new to geared lifting and am still not 100% confident in my equipped technique. Also, like someone else noted, getting tight-ass gear on and set can be a bit of a bitch. But even raw, it’s good to have someone around to give cues and stuff. This is what the strongest people on earth do. Westside, Lexen, Big Iron, etc. They all have an atmosphere that fosters constructive criticism and nit-picking on form.

This gym is a PL club, so there are others around, but I have had a bit of a falling out with my coach. Some of the guys I used to train with want to stay away from me for a bit to let the situation calm down. I will probably start posting some vids here to get feedback from some of the geared vets.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
Umm, ever thought of going to a commercial gym and making friends? I mean seriously. You don’t NEED a super-hardcore powerlifter/bodybuilder to be your training partner. All you really need is someone who understands what you want…

Anyway, to the topic. I can see how an aspiring WEIGHTLIFTER would need a coach, but a powerlifter needs only but himself and the right equipments for training. If you can’t motivate yourself, you’re not built for powerlifting.[/quote]

No offense to people who train in commercial gyms, but once you get used to a hard-core gym, it’s hard to go back to that bullshit. And technique is just as important to PL as it is to the classical lifts. Brute strength can only take you so far. Technique is vital to success, and so others helping you see faults and breaks in form becomes a big deal to competitive lifters, especially when suits and shirts are thrown in. No one is so good that they can’t benefit from experienced eyes and tips. Motivation is not the issue here. I have an elite total and I feel like I have a good shot at a pro total with steady improvement over the next year or so but I relied on some excellent teaching and advice to get here. Everybody can use good help.

[quote]strengthstudent wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
Umm, ever thought of going to a commercial gym and making friends? I mean seriously. You don’t NEED a super-hardcore powerlifter/bodybuilder to be your training partner. All you really need is someone who understands what you want…

Anyway, to the topic. I can see how an aspiring WEIGHTLIFTER would need a coach, but a powerlifter needs only but himself and the right equipments for training. If you can’t motivate yourself, you’re not built for powerlifting.[/quote]

No offense to people who train in commercial gyms, but once you get used to a hard-core gym, it’s hard to go back to that bullshit. And technique is just as important to PL as it is to the classical lifts. Brute strength can only take you so far. Technique is vital to success, and so others helping you see faults and breaks in form becomes a big deal to competitive lifters, especially when suits and shirts are thrown in. No one is so good that they can’t benefit from experienced eyes and tips. Motivation is not the issue here. I have an elite total and I feel like I have a good shot at a pro total with steady improvement over the next year or so but I relied on some excellent teaching and advice to get here. Everybody can use good help.[/quote]

Then I can’t help you. lol…

If you wanna spend the rest of your career figuring out the right groove to bolster your multi-ply squat, bench press, and deadlift numbers, then go right ahead. Be one of those hundreds of jackasses who thinks they’re cool just because they can fake their puny-ass, 405-pound ATG squat into a 650-pound geared squat.

The only people you guys are fooling are the people in the commercial gyms. You’re not special.

Quit being a fucking pussy and compete in the IPF.

This is why Powerlifting is not yet in the Olympics. Too many people are fucking it up.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

If you wanna spend the rest of your career figuring out the right groove to bolster your multi-ply squat, bench press, and deadlift numbers, then go right ahead. Be one of those hundreds of jackasses who thinks they’re cool just because they can fake their puny-ass, 405-pound ATG squat into a 650-pound geared squat.

The only people you guys are fooling are the people in the commercial gyms. You’re not special.

This is why Powerlifting is not yet in the Olympics. Too many people are fucking it up.[/quote]

1. This isnt a gear vs. raw thread, ergo, no one cares what you think
  2. Ever think one of the problems with powerlifting is close-minded people like you?

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

[quote]strengthstudent wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

No offense to people who train in commercial gyms, but once you get used to a hard-core gym, it’s hard to go back to that bullshit. And technique is just as important to PL as it is to the classical lifts. Brute strength can only take you so far. Technique is vital to success, and so others helping you see faults and breaks in form becomes a big deal to competitive lifters, especially when suits and shirts are thrown in. No one is so good that they can’t benefit from experienced eyes and tips. Motivation is not the issue here. I have an elite total and I feel like I have a good shot at a pro total with steady improvement over the next year or so but I relied on some excellent teaching and advice to get here. Everybody can use good help.[/quote]

This is why Powerlifting is not yet in the Olympics. Too many people are fucking it up.[/quote]

I think you found the wrong website to argue the gear vs. raw debate…

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

You dont like Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, or Beyonce? You just dont know good music ;].[/quote]

[sarcasm] How about that Bieber dude, omg, like totally hot! [/sarcasm]

I’ve trained alone most of my lifting career and I’ve gotten pretty far. I took it further when I got one son in to spot, hand-off, load/unload. I finally busted a plateau now that another son is training me. Anyway, I agree with the guy that said most of you’re issues can be overcome with a powercage and good music. The one issue that’s going to be tough is gear. Occasionally you’re going to have to recruit someone to help you get in/out and adjust the straps and stuff.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
[/quote]

They use gear in ipf to you know, its singleply, but still is gear.
In my country alot of folks are actually complaining because the norwegian ipf are allowing
bench shirts. Actually some dumbasses are complaining that some are born with fucking leverages than them so they are better suited for deads if they have long arms, bench if they have short arms LOL…, SOME IDIOTS at a norwegian training forum actually proposed the idea of having different sets of jduging based on leverages, so it would be more “fair”. I know this last rant was unrelevant to the topic, but felt like sharing it for the lulz.

The NBA should make it so the taller you are, the less points you get for each basket. I think your countrymen are onto something here florelius.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
[/quote]

In my country alot of folks are actually complaining because the norwegian ipf are allowing
bench shirts. Actually some dumbasses are complaining that some are born with fucking leverages than them so they are better suited for deads if they have long arms, bench if they have short arms LOL…, SOME IDIOTS at a norwegian training forum actually proposed the idea of having different sets of jduging based on leverages, so it would be more “fair”. I know this last rant was unrelevant to the topic, but felt like sharing it for the lulz.

[/quote]

You got there before I did. IPF is single ply…and I like it.

To the OP, your original post was unclear regarding the level of your experience and you got advice probably meant for a novice level competitor or, like many people here, someone who doesn’t compete at all.

At your level I think you need to do what you can to iron out your problems with the people you train(ed) with; the group I mean. You are quite right in your assessment that it will be very difficult to go beyond elite doing it alone. I rely very heavily on peoples observation of my form whether geared or raw. Sometimes things change and you can’t see why. For instance, my deadlift is suddenly dropping lower on the left when I break my knees. I need someone to watch and tell me what I’m doing that I’m unaware of that’s causing the problem.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

:slight_smile: lol. That’s funny.

I understand how those people feel but that is just ridiculous. If your genetics are not the best for a certain sport, either deal with it, or find a different sport!

I believe it is part of the game to figure out what is best for you. Powerlifting, Strongman, and Olympic Weightlifting are sports that allows you to “express your strength.” You may have the strength to squat 900 pounds, but if your technique is so subpar that you are not lifting the amount of weight that YOU SHOULD be lifting, then you obviously need to work on your technique… and not complain about how the other guys are “more coordinated” than you.

Oh, and if I may ask, lol, do you guys know a forum where I can rant about geared powerlifting?

Honestly, I’ve only ever lifted alone. I’ve never been close with anyone that shares the same dedication and will I do in the gym so I find that training with people that I’m friends with, but not on the same page in terms of lifting, is actually counterproductive. The gym has always been my time away from people, actually. Sure there are other people around, but I am trully in a different “zone”, for lack of a better term: I really phase out everything else in my life and let go of work, relationship, life stresses because I have one mission and one mission alone, lift heavy and improve myself. It’d be great I guess if I could find someone that could understand that and truly be there just to lift aside me, somehow pushing me to lift better. But I find that I generally have more than enough motivation for myself

I’ll ask other knowledgeable gym members when I need a spot to give me one and instruct them on what exactly I expect for the set I’m about to do. Other than that, I rarely raise my hat brim high enough to ever let anyone make eye contact with me so I never have to get involved in a conversation. I know that sounds anti-social, but I’m not at the gym to socialize and frankly would prefer everyone leave me alone when I’m doing my thing there.

But then again, who knows: maybe if I was lifting with someone that was stronger than myself, I would have had better results these past 6 years.

@ TRT…

Very well said!

For me, there are 2 reasons that gyms have mirrors.

1 and most important, to stare at hot chicks in between sets - duh!
2 to stare back at myself and find that motivation. I trash talk myself silently a lot but if you talk out loud to yourself long enough people will think you’re a crazy mother fVcker and not want to talk to you… lol.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

LOL! I squat more than 650 raw. Raw and gear are two different aspects of the same sport, each with different challenges. I respect anyone who has the balls to hit the platform regardless of how they choose to lift. Haters gonna hate though…

To ouroboro_s:

I think you are right. I’m assessing my options and as I see it, I need to either get back with the old group or find a new one somewhere else to attach myself to. Sorry if my post was unclear.

And about your deads: If I’m imagining your pull correctly, I think it could be an upper back issue. Sometimes, I have seen lifters do that after they have strained their lats or traps. If you want, PM me a video and I’ll give you my two cents…

I like training either way, alone or with people. The top end bench handoffs are hard . Set safety pins or chains . Be safe . As for motivation, why do you do this ? And why would you let anything screw with you and your goals.

Just bought myself a pair of spud suspension straps for extra safety in the cage since I train alone. Other than that I take the mentality of “better get this up otherwise you’re screwed”.

WOW, the problem with forums like this is you cant tell the sarcasm.

I dont care if you compete RAW or Geared.

Raw or Geared
Drug Free or Not Drug Free
Condom or No Condom
etc

To do what we do, get on a platform and do something 99% of the population dont understand and thinks your completely crazy to do takes balls.

I mean, if Kyle Milnes does a 750 RAW squat is that to say Gary Franks 1030 Geared cant squat 750 RAW?

Or vice versa. Its a choice, and IMO opinion its like Baseball fans digging the Homer. PL fans like to see massive amounts of weights, I dont think they care if its geared or not.

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
The NBA should make it so the taller you are, the less points you get for each basket.
[/quote]

LOL…

I think it is the dumbest idea ever spawned out of my country :stuck_out_tongue:

To Tom63
Do you find that switching between lifting partners and no partners affects your routine? Do you make them do your routine or incorperate theirs. I have found that lifting partner or no the worst thing for me is changing.