Training After Knee Surgery?

If you have arthritis, i.e. cartilage degeneration, Poliquin and Cressey will not be able to help you. The problem is permanent and cannot be fixed. All you can do is modify your training to put less stress on the knee. The ways to do this are 1) move SLOWLY to minimize force, 2) use less weight, and 3) train your bad leg less. By far the best training protocol for this purpose is HIT, and particularly SuperSlow. One set of the leg press to failure once a week will go a long way toward maintaining the muscle mass in your bad leg without trashing the joint. You can still do whatever you want for the rest of your body.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:
If you have arthritis, i.e. cartilage degeneration, Poliquin and Cressey will not be able to help you. The problem is permanent and cannot be fixed. All you can do is modify your training to put less stress on the knee. The ways to do this are 1) move SLOWLY to minimize force, 2) use less weight, and 3) train your bad leg less. By far the best training protocol for this purpose is HIT, and particularly SuperSlow. One set of the leg press to failure once a week will go a long way toward maintaining the muscle mass in your bad leg without trashing the joint. You can still do whatever you want for the rest of your body.[/quote]

Again, increasing GH via GHRP-6 can help; and/or injecting HGH directly into the knee can help.

Also again, there’s the injectable cartilage. It’s apparently doing wonders.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:

Again, increasing GH via GHRP-6 can help; and/or injecting HGH directly into the knee can help.

Also again, there’s the injectable cartilage. It’s apparently doing wonders. [/quote]

GH will do absolutely nothing to repair arthritis, and there is no such thing as “injectable cartilage.”

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

Also again, there’s the injectable cartilage. It’s apparently doing wonders. [/quote]

GH will do absolutely nothing to repair arthritis, [/quote]

Increasing GH can encourage cartilage repair and growth. Whether it will for him - and whether it will help his arthritis - I have no idea.

Um, sorry. But you’re wrong.

Increasing GH can encourage cartilage repair and growth.

Um, sorry. But you’re wrong. [/quote]

Can you provide any support for these statements? Not claims made by “functional medicine” practitioners, but actual evidence that GH repairs cartilage. I’m also interested to find out what you’re mistaking for “injectable cartilage” (my guess is either synvisc or autologous chondrocyte implantation).

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

Can you provide any support for these statements? Not claims made by “functional medicine” practitioners, but actual evidence that GH repairs cartilage. I’m also interested to find out what you’re mistaking for “injectable cartilage” (my guess is either synvisc or autologous chondrocyte implantation). [/quote]

1. There is a huge amount of evidence - yes.

2. Oh, I see. So first you say there’s no such thing. Then you do a search and find you were wrong. Rather than admit you were wrong, you attempt to “word mince” your way out of it.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

Can you provide any support for these statements? Not claims made by “functional medicine” practitioners, but actual evidence that GH repairs cartilage. I’m also interested to find out what you’re mistaking for “injectable cartilage” (my guess is either synvisc or autologous chondrocyte implantation). [/quote]

2. Oh, I see. So first you say there’s no such thing. Then you do a search and find you were wrong. Rather than admit you were wrong, you attempt to “word mince” your way out of it.

[/quote]

1. I didn’t ask you to insist that evidence exists. I asked you to provide an example of that evidence. If you can’t do that, I’m forced to conclude that you don’t actually know of any such evidence.

2. There is no mincing of words here. Synvisc and ACI do not even come close to qualifying as “injectable cartialge,” especially in the context of arthritis. However, an extremely ignorant person might be prone to mistake them for such, and it’s clear that you have by the fact that you think I’m only mincing words rather than referring to unmistakably different concepts.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[/quote]

1. I didn’t ask you to insist that a huge amount of evidence exists. I asked you to provide an example of the body of evidence that you claim exists. If you can’t do that, I’m forced to conclude that you don’t actually know of any such evidence.

2. There is no mincing of words here. Synvisc and ACI do not even come close to qualifying as “injectable cartialge,” especially in the context of arthritis. However, a cartilage n00b might be prone to mistake them for such, and it’s clear that you have by the fact that you think I’m only mincing words rather than referring to unmistakably different concepts.

Stop giving medical advice. You know literally less than nothing about cartilage.
[/quote]

I was using “injectable cartilage” as a general laymen term. That’s why I put it in quotes.

Were the OP interested, I would have sent him “information” (that’s a pretty general term, I know; I could mean an email, a website, a whole host of things actually) on the “injections” (I’m betting that’s too general a term for a word mincer like you as well!) in his knee (what a second! What is a “knee,” really? Can you imagine a doctor saying that he’s going to “inject in the knee”! That’s not nearly precise enough for an operating room. Oh, wait, we’re on an internet board. Never mind.) that my father is getting here at Mass General.

Please point out where I gave medical evidence.

You, my friend, really need to get the sand out of that assclown vagina of yours. Next time you come to these boards, may I suggest that you douche first?

[quote]Arthritisboy wrote:
hello everyone.

i just recently had acl reconstruction with hamstring tendon and had a shredded meniscus removed. apparently when i was in highschool when i had my medial collateral lig injury it was actually my acl that was torn and i didn't have one for over 10 years,

they just recently found this out and found out that i have arthritis in my right knee in a place where my medial meniscus used to be.

anyways, im 25 and this is really a source of serious psychological vexation for me and i was wondering if anyone has any insight into how i can still stay relatively strong with this issue. i know squats and dead-lifting days are now over....im so pissed.
 plz any input is much appreciated [/quote]I had the medial meniscus removed back in '80 at age 26 or so, and ACL reconstruction (some cadaver's replaced my torn one after the knee got bent backwards) in '97, then arthroscopy to tidy up a small tear a few years later.  Knee seems pretty good -- no pain, no arthritis, etc.

It took about a year after meniscus removal before the knee felt normal, tho even then things like pulling up when bicycling (with foot clips you pull up on the upstroke) it felt like the knee was ‘stretching’, so I just stopped that. Otherwise everything was normal.

Since ACL reconstruction the knee is still ok. I can bicycle normally (they got me an exercise bike as part of rehab, so that might be a good exercise for you, but I’d ask your PT/Dr first). I’m careful about it (sitting on the ground cross-legged I avoid as it seems to stretch the knee uncomfortably but it could just be my imagination). I don’t run but that’s because running is kinda hard on the knee (especially on hard surfaces, if you have thick grass or soft sand…).

Flexibility was reduced (I had to let some injuries heal before ACL reconstruction so I had 2 episodes of rehab for the knee, ie 2 chances for reduced flexibility) until a few years ago when I started squatting. Body weight squatting, and just dropping down and holding that position, increased flexibility to the point that knee is as flexible as the good knee. So old injured knees can improve, if one takes is slow and careful.

Your arthritis I can’t help with. Seems that would complicate things. One thing I’ve done all my life is walk/hike/bicycle a lot. It was part of both my work and lifestyle/hobbies. I can’t say if that increased or decreased my liklyhood of arthritis from the medial meniscus removal, but it’s been 30 years now, and a lot of physical activity, and no sign of any arthritis.

Good luck!

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[/quote]

1. I didn’t ask you to insist that a huge amount of evidence exists. I asked you to provide an example of the body of evidence that you claim exists. If you can’t do that, I’m forced to conclude that you don’t actually know of any such evidence.

2. There is no mincing of words here. Synvisc and ACI do not even come close to qualifying as “injectable cartialge,” especially in the context of arthritis. However, a cartilage n00b might be prone to mistake them for such, and it’s clear that you have by the fact that you think I’m only mincing words rather than referring to unmistakably different concepts.

Stop giving medical advice. You know literally less than nothing about cartilage.
[/quote]

I was using “injectable cartilage” as a general laymen term. That’s why I put it in quotes.

Were the OP interested, I would have sent him “information” (that’s a pretty general term, I know; I could mean an email, a website, a whole host of things actually) on the “injections” (I’m betting that’s too general a term for a word mincer like you as well!) in his knee (what a second! What is a “knee,” really?

Can you imagine a doctor saying that he’s going to “inject in the knee”! That’s not nearly precise enough for an operating room. Oh, wait, we’re on an internet board. Never mind.) that my father is getting here at Mass General.

You, my friend, really need to get the sand out of that assclown vagina of yours. Next time you come to these boards, may I suggest that you douche first?
[/quote]

You are retarded if you think “injectable cartilage” is a suitable laymans term for Synvisc or ACI. The former is not cartilage at all and the latter is a major open joint surgery used only for focal defects, never for arthritis. Only someone who is utterly fucking clueless would say something as hysterically stupid as “injectable cartilage.”

From a physiological standpoint, GH definitely plays a role in stimulating osteoblast and chondrocyte (the cells that form bone and cartilage) differentiation. This leads to bone growth for sure. To the best of my knowledge, there is still controversy over whether or not we can conclude that through these same mechanisms (IGF-1), cartilage can actually be repaired. So as of now, I believe that this is still being researched.

[quote]NemesisEnforcer wrote:
From a physiological standpoint, GH definitely plays a role in stimulating osteoblast and chondrocyte (the cells that form bone and cartilage) differentiation. This leads to bone growth for sure. To the best of my knowledge, there is still controversy over whether or not we can conclude that through these same mechanisms (IGF-1), cartilage can actually be repaired. So as of now, I believe that this is still being researched.[/quote]

GH stimulates growth at the epiphysial plates during youth. It does not repair a deranged joint surface. Insurance companies would not pay 40 grand for a titanium knee replacement if all you had to do to re-grow your knee cartilage was use GH.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Were the OP interested, I would have sent him “information” (that’s a pretty general term, I know; I could mean an email, a website, a whole host of things actually) on the “injections” (I’m betting that’s too general a term for a word mincer like you as well!) in his knee (what a second! What is a “knee,” really?

Can you imagine a doctor saying that he’s going to “inject in the knee”! That’s not nearly precise enough for an operating room. Oh, wait, we’re on an internet board. Never mind.) that my father is getting here at Mass General.

[/quote]

You are retarded if you think “injectable cartilage” is a suitable laymans term for Synvisc or ACI. The former is not cartilage at all and the latter is a major open joint surgery used only for focal defects, never for arthritis. Only someone who is utterly fucking clueless would say something as hysterically stupid as “injectable cartilage.” [/quote]

Obviously, one is not injecting cartilage - in fact, it’s so obvious that it should go without saying. So stop getting so hysterical. You really do need to douche more often.

Obviously, one is not injecting cartilage - in fact, it’s so obvious that it should go without saying. So stop getting so hysterical. You really do need to douche more often.
[/quote]

So who’s mincing words now jackass? Everything you’ve said in this thread is wong, and now you’re trying to weezle your way out of the argument by saying your language isn’t literal. Post less often.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[/quote]

So who’s mincing words now jackass? Everything you’ve said in this thread is wong, and now you’re trying to weezle your way out of the argument by saying your language isn’t literal. Post less often.[/quote]

I think it’s pretty obvious that you’re not really all that interested in pointing the OP towards possibly helpful solutions; but, rather, you are consumed with yourself and your own “standing,” evidenced by this roosterish strutting of yours via of a kind of hyper-correct language.

Beta behavior. Pure & simple. Oddly enough, it turns out some roosters have vaginas. Who knew?

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are retarded if you think “injectable cartilage” is a suitable laymans term for Synvisc or ACI. The former is not cartilage at all and the latter is a major open joint surgery used only for focal defects, never for arthritis. Only someone who is utterly fucking clueless would say something as hysterically stupid as “injectable cartilage.” [/quote]

[/quote]
Ok, guys, i read up and talked to a few of my dads doc friends and they say that yes there is cartilage paste, articular variety. but its expensive and i have to find a doc who would do it.
if i can make the money ill get it. but i really do appreciate the help , jsut try not to argue so much with each other