Training Addiction Article

[quote]The second solution is to make a list of all the other aspects of your life that you value, as well as all the things that make you feel good about yourself. This will help to increase your self-esteem by making you realize that you will still be respected and valued by others even if you aren’t working out and don’t have the perfect body.

Sometimes, the best solution to combat a disorder like this is to just go cold turkey. As hard as it is, force yourself to stop working out for a week. Your body probably needs the rest, and it will allow you to see that your body wont significantly change if you miss a workout or two. It will help bring you back to reality.[/quote]

Bullshit. This is a copout. It’s an enabling statement that allows people to justify their laziness because they’re “training in moderation” or “avoiding an addiction.”

People will still like you if you aren’t working out or don’t have the perfect body? How many of us seriously train because of the way others perceive us vs. training because of how we perceive ourselves?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Why? There are at least four items that I identify with and it has nothing to do with anything negative.

-Feeling anxious if a workout is missed
-Scheduling your day’s events around your workout session
-A fear of becoming injured and having to miss a workout
-Exercising for extended periods on a daily basis

Why are these viewed as something to avoid?

If “addiction” is what you want to call it, from these, what is wrong with it?[/quote]

I agree on those four symptoms. I would even say the one about reduced drive to engage in activities formerly enjoyed would be on my list of positive aspects of training. Drinkin too much, for example.

However, these “symptoms” were more of what I was talking about:

[quote]
-Turning down dates in order to work out
-Avoiding social situations for fear of eating foods that may interfere with training progress
-Social isolation
-A feeling of general worthlessness if you have not completed your workout for the day[/quote]

I would expect that I’m much more serious about my training than most people, but I try to find some balance. I’m crazy enough already. We’re social creatures so doing the things above just doesn’t seem good for anyone for long periods of time.

Just about every article on askmen.com is laughable. The site seems to be catered to average guys who are never going to be anything but average. But that doesn’t mean we should rule out the idea of “training addiction” because it is possible for some people to reach that point.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
-Turning down dates in order to work out
-Avoiding social situations for fear of eating foods that may interfere with training progress
-Social isolation
-A feeling of general worthlessness if you have not completed your workout for the day

I would expect that I’m much more serious about my training than most people, but I try to find some balance. I’m crazy enough already. We’re social creatures so doing the things above just doesn’t seem good for anyone for long periods of time.

Just about every article on askmen.com is laughable. The site seems to be catered to average guys who are never going to be anything but average. But that doesn’t mean we should rule out the idea of “training addiction” because it is possible for some people to reach that point.
[/quote]

The problem is, even the ones you listed would have to be put in a specific context to even be relevant.
For instance:

1. If the bitch is ugly, you can bet I may need to workout instead of going on that date.

2. I have avoided social situations where I know all they will be doing is drinking until they throw up when I either needed to study, be ready to wake up early for cardio, or anything else I consider more important than the bullshit many people get into nightly.

3. Anyone who stands out in ANY endeavor, whether that be graduating with a 4.0 GPA or finishing that research project will experience some form of social isolation. It seems to go hand in hand with standing alone…something a true leader will eventually have to do in his/her life.

4. On this one, I don’t feel “worthless” if I don’t train. I may feel “pissed”, “mildly upset”, or even “a little fucking angry”, but not “worthless”.

I understand there may be people with a true affliction. However, anyone who is not trying to be average is going to face being the single voice going in a seperate direction every once in a while. That’s just life and that article didn’t acknowledge it at all.

[quote]sic wrote:
Bullshit. This is a copout. It’s an enabling statement that allows people to justify their laziness because they’re “training in moderation” or “avoiding an addiction.”[/quote]

I agree completely.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Anything that floods the nucleus accumbens with dopamine is going to be addictive. Sex, crack, pain, twinkies, or for some of the luckier addicts, squats and deads. We’ve all got addictions, EVERYONE… just be glad yours is a constructive one.[/quote]

Damn you now I have to go buy some Twinkies.