Training Abs Everyday?

Should ab’s be trained everyday or should you give them a days rest then train them again the next day and continue that pattern.(i am of course not only training abs, the ab workout is incorporated to my total workout.

Well, its been said a-Hell-Lot.

No, “Don’t Train Abs Everyday. You wouldn’t train any other muscle everyday . Would you?” … Would You?

I trained my abs everyday, at one point. and it worked, and is still working. But i stopped it.

By the way, did you mean Weighted ab training, or just general one circuit a day into your work out training?

Like, after your workout then you just do a few sit ups, leg ups, side bends… Bridges… for like 10-15 minutes

What i meant was that after my workout, i would work on abs. I do 5x25 oblique crunches/standard crunches/reverse crunches. I also do knee raises until failure for about 4 sets and occasionally weighted knee raises.

I don’t think that’s a good idea. Look at Arnold’s abs. He trained them everyday, but they were never some of the best abs of all time. Heck, Serge Nubret had better abs than Arnold.

The reason here is that you use your abs as stabilizers in compound ground based exercises like squats and deadlifts. If you train abs everyday with exercises like these, there may be a good chance to overtrain.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I don’t think that’s a good idea. Look at Arnold’s abs. He trained them everyday, but they were never some of the best abs of all time. Heck, Serge Nubret had better abs than Arnold.[/quote]

Nubret also trained abs every day, for an hour+ each day. He did ab training as cardio. I’m not kidding.

None of this matters.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I don’t think that’s a good idea. Look at Arnold’s abs. He trained them everyday, but they were never some of the best abs of all time. Heck, Serge Nubret had better abs than Arnold.

The reason here is that you use your abs as stabilizers in compound ground based exercises like squats and deadlifts. If you train abs everyday with exercises like these, there may be a good chance to overtrain.[/quote]

What do you mean by “good abs”? Like an appealing shape? Abdominal shape is entirely genetic, and while you can affect the size of the rectus abdominus and obliques, you cannot affect the shape through training.

I think you would have to train your abs a hell of a lot in order to overtrain them, and that the muscle soreness would get to you before you could do so. Go ahead and train them every day if youd like. If you feel like your performance is starting to suffer or you begin to experience muscle soreness to too great a degree, ease back some and find what works for you.

I went from occasional ab training, once a week maybe, to now doing them at the end of every workout (3x a week) and my abs have never looked better. I usually pick one ab exercise and do 3 sets to near failure

Haha yah i work out 5 times a week, you know the splits… Do my abs a variety of ways… blablabla… you know the drill.

I’m supposedly 18.4% Fat ( checked with the machine. my Gym dosn’t have clips… sigh…)
When i was 17.5% (a month or so ago), I HAD NO… AB-solutely NO Abs, i flexed em sure, and what’d you see was Fat, and two bumps on the top.

Anyway, Right now my abs are visible and they are visible even if i don’t flex em much. And I’m 18.4% fat.
only the Beer-Pot-Belly… blocks the bottom two. haha.

I don’t know what i was trying to say here though. =/ Oh, my abs are “massive” though, says all my 10% or Lower Friends. and these guy’s have had their abs since i met em, in 6th grade.

When doing ab work consider that they are like any other muscle. You still need them to grow as well as lose the fat surrounding the top of them. If you are training every day then there is no time for them to recover and get stronger, bigger, more defined. With that being said…if you train a different intensities then your are hitting fast twitch as well as slow twitch fibers of the abs. You should have a heavy day, a moderate day, and a light day of ab work. If you are training everyday as long as the intensity is less than the previous day you still are allowing for some recovery. With that being said, if you are training everyday you will see the most gains when you take a few days off because thats when your body will be able to recover fullly from the high volume of training.