T Nation

Training Abs Every Day?

I typically do abs every other day, but in some places I’ve read routines that include ab training every day. Do abs recover fast enough for this not to be a problem?

You shouldn’t train your abs every day. Your abdominals are a muscle, like all the other muscles in your body, and they need rest in order to recover.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
You shouldn’t train your abs every day. Your abdominals are a muscle, like all the other muscles in your body, and they need rest in order to recover.[/quote]

I actually disagree. its the one body part i feel uber high frequency is great but the volume each day needs to be low just a few sets everyday.

Why?? do to the fact if L/You really nail abs hard any given day and do a ton of damage it will have a negative effect on any day following it as the abs and core in general are used every time we work out.

if im pressing, its effected, squatting its effected hell even bb curls its effected if I have a bad case of abdominal fatigue

i say mix it up from uber heavy to light everyday you hit the gym just a few set 2-6

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
You shouldn’t train your abs every day. Your abdominals are a muscle, like all the other muscles in your body, and they need rest in order to recover.

I actually disagree. its the one body part i feel uber high frequency is great but the volume each day needs to be low just a few sets everyday.

Why?? do to the fact if L/You really nail abs hard any given day and do a ton of damage it will have a negative effect on any day following it as the abs and core in general are used every time we work out.

if im pressing, its effected, squatting its effected hell even bb curls its effected if I have a bad case of abdominal fatigue

i say mix it up from uber heavy to light everyday you hit the gym just a few set 2-6

Phill[/quote]

you don’t need to do abs everyday. If you are working out like you are supposed to i.e heavy compound movements its going to be worked out indirectly. Usually people think I work abs everyday from appearance but I actually work them 3 times a week.

depends how long you have been training ~

[quote]Mad Titan wrote:
Phill wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
You shouldn’t train your abs every day. Your abdominals are a muscle, like all the other muscles in your body, and they need rest in order to recover.

I actually disagree. its the one body part i feel uber high frequency is great but the volume each day needs to be low just a few sets everyday.

Why?? do to the fact if L/You really nail abs hard any given day and do a ton of damage it will have a negative effect on any day following it as the abs and core in general are used every time we work out.

if im pressing, its effected, squatting its effected hell even bb curls its effected if I have a bad case of abdominal fatigue

i say mix it up from uber heavy to light everyday you hit the gym just a few set 2-6

Phill

you don’t need to do abs everyday. If you are working out like you are supposed to i.e heavy compound movements its going to be worked out indirectly. Usually people think I work abs everyday from appearance but I actually work them 3 times a week.[/quote]

I can agree with that but have also seen marked performance increase in strongman etc by ending with some type of core work usually heavy just a few sets

Phill

Can someone correct me if I’m wrong. I always thought the reason the Abs can support high frequency training is that, by necessity, they have much more endurance than many other muscle groups. Even amongst people that never work out, their abs still do more work than other muscle groups, it is just very low intensity work.

By extension, it would make sense that if you only do bodyweight ab exercises with minimal resistance, you can probably get away with(and benefit even) from training them everyday. But, if you are doing ab exercises with lots of resistance, you may need to work your abs a few times a week, if that.

Personally, I let compound lifts do the brunt of my ab training, but I will do some direct ab work once or twice a week.

yes and thats essentially why they dont need to much work you use them a ton. like a fat persons calves bro :slight_smile:

Phill

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
Can someone correct me if I’m wrong. I always thought the reason the Abs can support high frequency training is that, by necessity, they have much more endurance than many other muscle groups. Even amongst people that never work out, their abs still do more work than other muscle groups, it is just very low intensity work.

By extension, it would make sense that if you only do bodyweight ab exercises with minimal resistance, you can probably get away with(and benefit even) from training them everyday. But, if you are doing ab exercises with lots of resistance, you may need to work your abs a few times a week, if that.

Personally, I let compound lifts do the brunt of my ab training, but I will do some direct ab work once or twice a week.[/quote]