Training a Muscle Two Days In a Row

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
A beginner can get away with it which you sound like judging from your question. I could NEVER dead lift the next day afer I squatted if I wanted to keep my lower back remotely healthy. [/quote]

I agree 100%

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
joburnet wrote:
I find myself thinking the same thing, should I do squat one day and then deads the next day. My conclusion is that it doesn’t matter, what matters is that I get my ass into the gym and lift.

Just don’t hurt yourself.

Yep. Certian Jobs require heavy lifting day in and day out, with no sets, reps or recovery days. Yet people who work them get bigger and stronger.[/quote]

Good point, but no real world situation requires you to work to (or near to) muscular failure.
But (and i’m presuming here) you could do any volume you wanted as long as you can refule and recover to an eaqually high standard. i.e. work loads, but eat and sleep in equally high volumes.

So, just to be counter to most of what’s been said, from what I’ve read, since the 60’s the Russians and Bulgarians have been training multiple exercises, multiple times during the day, multiple days during the week. And they rocked the olympics.

Granted, they were on steriods and their purpose was specifically on developing the classical lifts, not bodybuilding.

Still, high frequency has it’s purposes.

So… try it and see if it works?..

[quote]Otep wrote:
So, just to be counter to most of what’s been said, from what I’ve read, since the 60’s the Russians and Bulgarians have been training multiple exercises, multiple times during the day, multiple days during the week. And they rocked the olympics.

Granted, they were on steriods and their purpose was specifically on developing the classical lifts, not bodybuilding.

Still, high frequency has it’s purposes.

So… try it and see if it works?..[/quote]

The problem is this. Olympic weightlifting is on a different planet than bodybuilding. They don’t train for the same things and thus at least for me looking at one’s success with a method and declaring it effective for the other is being a little short sigthed. I like trying to increase the frequency of training but there is a point of diminishing returns(depending on training experience and style)that has to be taken into account.

you also cant really do olympic lifts to failure.

i think it has alot to do with your volume, your CNS development (aka experience), and if your going to failure or not. if all those things are a no, then 2x a day is okay I suppose, or every other day.

Im not really getting sore from my workouts, but they are tough and short and my lifts are going up 5 lbs every week… am I training effectively?

Well if your strength is going up consistently then your training is fine. If that increase in strength is transferring to size gains is more a function of your diet.

[quote]rbush28 wrote:
Is this ok? ive read alot of stuff by Chad Waterbury and if i read correctly it seemed as this is ok and can actually be beneficial. I’ve read that its good to train the muscle 4-8 times a week.

actually that last part i could be mistaken it could be 4-8 tottal workouts a week not just training the muscle.[/quote]

As stated depends on goals. Training for technique/skill is best done in lots of shorter sessions, which might be valuable for a beginner. If you are going for long (60minutes or more), full throttle, then it’s almost certainly not optimal, or will become impossible to give it near 100% as your lifts (and therefore stress on muscles and CNS) go up.

In this case though you are usually training a ‘lift’ rather than a muscle. Hence the Olimpic lift style training.

It also depends on how you manage volume and intensity and how often you detrain or back off. For a beginner though, linear progression is going to be better than overreaching/detraining every few weeks.

IMHO there is no problem training a muscle 2days, i´ve been doing the following and worked well: Mon and Thur-fullbody strength, Tue and Fri-metabolic conditioning(higher reps circits). There are many ways to manipulate the many variables of your training, i think there are problem in doing a regular bodybuilding workout two days in a row for the same bodypart, but there are some kinds of workouts that can be used this way…

About the squat 2x a week+ dead 2x a week, if this was done with heavy weights would be spine injury in no time… If i’m doing the DL heavy once a week, i even cut the back squat from the routine and vice-versa.