T Nation

Training a League Player

After not playing the game for a bit over two and a half years (due to being told I was too small to play at any elite level) I'm aiming to make a return to Rugby League in next years season - about 10 months away.

Since I stopped playing I've put on roughly 12kgs of muscle and am now 6'2" 92kgs (max lifts, squat - 200kg, deadlift 220kg, bench 130kg)but I've lost alot of endurance and speed.

What I'm aiming for is to return back to the field fitter, quicker and bigger than ever so that I can retake my shot at making it to the rep fields.

My question is how would you guys go about training for this given the time period and the nature of the game? Would you continue to put on muscle mass and save the endurance stuff for later, or start now on speed/endurance? Before I stopped playing I was a fullback, so I'd prefer to be a back but I know most coaches would see me as a second rower/lock right now.

Im estimating a beep test at a poor 9ish mark and 0-40 yard of about 5secs, but their only estimates.

Any ideas?

I see that Rugby coaches have their collective heads planted firmly up their butts with the "too small to play" crap. When will people ever learn. You are 6'2", 210ish and you are too small?? Even at 180, with speed and quickness, not to mention good hands and a good kick...

Your strength numbers look good but now you need to work on speed and quickness as well. Ramp up the intensity of your workouts and your endurance will improve initially. Closer to camp, you will want to do some sport specific drills and perhaps some High Intensity Interval Training.

How come your speed has gone down if your strength is up? I wouldnt worry too much about endurance just yet as you still have a decent amount of time to get ready. You sound like the perfect size for a centre. Good luck with your training, will you be trialling for a reserve grade team or the like?

I'd only worry about cardio 8 weeks before u started trying out for the squad. Keep up the weights and do plenty of speed/agility (eg. WSFSB2). But remember the most important part of any sport is the sport itself. Watch as many games as possible especially focus on the position u want to play. really note everything the top level players do in that position. (eg. running angles, timing, positional play, etc.) Definatly keep trying to improve all the skills passing, kicking, tackling etc. all year round. and try to get some games in even is its just with ur mates.

Hope this helps

[quote]jbishop wrote:
I'd only worry about cardio 8 weeks before u started trying out for the squad.

Can you build decent endurance within this time do you think?

Definatly keep trying to improve all the skills passing, kicking, tackling etc. all year round. and try to get some games in even is its just with ur mates.

I've got a whole season of touch footy before trials so that should help. I was planning on doing alot of sprint, agility and foot work stuff. I think the hardest thinkg to get use to will be getting hit again...thanks for the help.