T Nation

Training 6 Days a Week?

I really enjoy being in the Gym and I have a new job coming where I have time and financial freedom potentially coming, If I was to say eat 8-10k cals a day (Which I could do), Train 6 days a week, 3 on 1 off using Wendlers 5/3/1 get 8 hours of sleep then a 2 hour afternoon nap every day would that mean I could hit that frequency without overtraining?

Unlikely. But who can tell for certain? You’re proposing a theoretical question with many variables.

3 on 1 off is less than 6 days a week, and it all depends on what you do in the gym. 6 days a week is totally doable if you aren’t doing something stupid.

This is the programme, with that amount of recovery I’d probably throw in accessories on lacking parts, I’d be eating generally clean, mostly rice and meat I love it so I’d have no problem with that.

That’s a 4 day a week program with accessories already in it, so presumably you aren’t going to do that one. You could try to make up your own program based on it (what you are presumably doing) or you could just do one of the 6 days a week 5/3/1 templates that Jim actually wrote.

So I feel like I’ve been training 1 day on 1 day off for a long period of time, Do you think taking some time to experiment with this @DoubleDuce would be beneficial?

It does say it limits hypertrophy due to the volume of this style but if I was getting the amount of calories I explained 2g/lb+ of protein a day and a good amount of sleep coupled with afternoon naps this would be a way to minimise this?, plus it will help me practice my technique because apparently my Squat technique isn’t so good.

I’ll probably do it for a while then switch to the 5/3/1 beach body plan to gain mass then go back if it is the case that hypertrophy is limited.

If you want to do 6 days a week and 5/3/1, you can. There are 6 day a week 5/3/1 programs in the 5/3/1 books. I’d just do one of those. I’d start with stuff as written before I started modifying everything. That Bulgarian program is a totally different animal. It depends on what you want. If you just want to train a lot, or if you want to maximize a physical quality or quantity they are different goals. I will say 5/3/1 is meant as a very long term program. 6 or 8 weeks on this, 6 or 8 weeks on that probably isn’t going to be that productive with 5/3/1.

If you like 5/3/1 style programming, go read about the 5/3/1 frequency project templates (or there are plenty of other where you train, but don’t necessarily lift 6 days a week). If you just want to train a bunch, find a non-dumb program you enjoy and do it. If you want to maximize muscle gain, do a hypertrophy program. CT’s “best damn” is literally a 6 day a week program for max hypertrophy, for example.

What are you doing for conditioning? Typically those are a day at the gym.

You mean like cardio?, none I am a hardgainer so I was advised not to

Let’s imagine for a moment that in place of going to the gym 6 days per week, you went 4 and had 2 days to do something else.

What are some of the things you might choose to do with those 2 days?

Most 5/3/1 programs are six days a week if you actually do the conditioning elements. I often skip them as well because I am pathetic like most of the population.

Ok, so my advice is to buy one of the 5/3/1 books and read it.

2x2x2 is six days…

Yeah don’t lift six days a week. There is almost nobody who needs to lift more than four days a week. Are you interested in making progress or fulfilling some emotional need to be in the gym? Like others have said, do the other couple of days as conditioning and mobility/recovery work. Having one day a week for your body to recover is not enough. You won’t make any more progress(and will almost certainly make less) lifting six days a week.

As others have mentioned, 6 days per week (especially in a row) is excessive if your’re doing quality work each of those days. Occupy your recovery time elsewhere. Get a girlfriend, go get laid.

There is something in Beyond 5/3/1 called The 5/3/1 Frequency Project…or something along those lines. I don’t have access to the book right now, but I think it basically had a lifter progress through cycle of 531 in 2 weeks or even 1 week instead of 4. That may be to your liking if you can find the program.

I’ve been working on a 6 day cycle with 5/3/1 for about 1.5 years now and have seen siugnificant progress in all lifts using the following program:

1: chest major/shoulder secondary (bench 5k/31)
2: LPC major/quad secondary (dead 5/3/1)
3: cardio, generally LISS to keep cortisol low
4: shoulders primary/chest secondary (military 5/3/1)
5: quad major/LPC secondary (squat 5/3/1)
6: upper back major/arms (bent over row 5/3/1)

You can sub in whatever exercise you want for upper back but the best builder I’ve seen for me are bent over rows programmed using same progression as upper body 5/3/1. The cardio day can probably be subbed for an extra arm day I suppose if you really don’t want to do cardio.

I am sorry these first 2 posts are pretty hilarious. My biggest gripe with most respected programs (like 5-3-1) is that they dont program enough frequency. Its pretty well established (although not common knowledge yet) that frequency is more important than volume.

Also, overtraining is not a real thing. (i mean it can be but not with in the confines of a 5-3-1 program that I have ever seen.)

I have been doing this for 5+ years…but with a lot less calories and less sleep. When I first started this I was doing a LOT more volume than 5-3-1. I will be running 5-3-1 with back down sets and assistance like I usually do in the offseason and I dont do the deloads (wasted workout). So each block takes 1.5 weeks.

I would like to add that I have add muscle soreness or DOMS like MAYBE 20 times in that 5+ year stretch…and it was never from as little volume as 5-3-1.

Day 1 and 4
Squats
Deads
What ever assistance you want

Day 2 and 5
Rows
Pullups

Day 3 and 6
Bench
OHP

I dont mean to pick on anybody, blame T-Nation Twitter or I wouldnt be in here but this BS that training 6 days is excessive or counter productive has got to stop.

If you want optimal results frequency is your 2nd best friend right behind compound movements. If lifting 6 days a week messes with your life balance then so be it but dont pass it off as optimal training.

bad advice

You mean optimal.

This is good advice.