T Nation

Training 6 Days a Week?

Does anyone train 6 days a week? Is it possible to handle it? Or doing something like this is one of the stupid things to do becouse overtraining etc. etc.? :slightly_smiling:

I don't mean for example one day only for biceps, next day only for triceps etc. You know... something like:

P/P/L/Repeat or Legs/Shouders+Triceps/Back/Chest+Biceps/Repeat...

6-7 days a week for years

You'll be fine.

I train 6-7 days a week too. I do so because fits my lifestyle, not because results come faster.

You must remember to eat more to compensate for the extra calories burned. Don't go train 6 days a week without sufficient nutrition and then go, "omg I made no progress... I'm a hardgainer... I can't recover... I went back to training 2 days a week and then I saw stupendous gains..."

This is how the common overtraining myths start.

I'm 64 y/o and just finish my 4th workout this week, that is 1 each day - that includes squats each day - pressing ,chins, etc + Deadlift 1 day. I usually train 4 -5 days per week depending on my schedule. I'm old & broken and trying to be a little less broken.

"I just visited and withdrew from the ATM 5 times this week. Do I have enough money to treat me and my date to dinner tonight?"

versus

"I visited the ATM 5 times this week and withdrew $20 each time, will I be able to afford XYZ four-star restaurant tonight?"

Do you get my point here?

I do legs push pull repeat.
Most weeks i train 6-7 days

I train 7 sessions across 6 days and have done for a while now, last year before a comp i was up to 8 sessions over 6 days. Recently trained 21 days in a row to see how it felt.

hmmmmm...i did read an article on lift run bang a while back describing 6 days a week training...i beleive it went like this
legs/arms
chest/back/shoulders
legs/arms
chest/back/shoulders
etc...

so like legs arms can be ... leg press, curls, dips......chest/back/shoulders could be bench, rows, db press....sounds like fun actually!!

As long as you're not suffering from volumitis, you'll be fine.

What does Yours workout schedule looks like when You train 6-7 days week?

I'll be doing 6 days a week. Lower body on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Upper body with pressing focus on Tuesday and Thursday. Back on Saturday. Might add in a seventh day practicing Olympic lifts and strongman events. Just manage your volume and intensity right out of the gate. If it doesn't feel easy (relatively speaking) in the beginning, you're doing it wrong in my opinion.

I train 6 days a week. I have three programs which I rotate between:

Train muscles once a week:
M Chest
T Back
W Legs - quads
Th Shoulders
F Arms
Sa Legs - post. chain
Su Rest

Twice a week:
M Push
T Pull
W Legs
Th Push
F Pull
Sa Legs
Su Rest

Three times a week
M Upper
T Lower
W Upper
Th Lower
F Upper
Sa Lower
Su Rest

I had to choke back on my volume on the upper/lower split as I was not recovering enough.

Same.

I train 6 days a week. Alternating workout A and B. The first workout each of the week is heavy, the second is light, and the last is moderate. I change the weight every set, putting the weight up if the reps decrease, and down if they increase. Every 4th to 6th week, I back off the weight for an active rest. I then add weight each week with an aim to progress at the end of each cycle. Light days I focus on form.

Workout A Morning

One Arm Snatch 5 x 30kg
Bent Press 2 x 35kg
One Arm Press 12 - 8 - 10 - 6
Push Press 6 - 5 - 4 - 3
Clean & Press 3 - 3 - 3
Farmers Walks 3 x (up to 10) this is done in my garage which has a walkable rep length of 8m.
Two Arm Waiter Walks as a drop set with dumbbells. Doing as many reps of the garage with each weight as I can, for up to 80m per set. I do this over a range of five dumbbells, from heavy to light

Workout A Evening

Walk 40 minutes
Do anything that wasn't done in the morning.

Workout B Morning

One Arm Snatch 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
Front Squats 5 x Some @ light weght (doing up to 10 sets if time permits, working on form and flexibility)

Workout B Evening

Bent Press Monday 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 (Same weight for all sets, 5 minutes rest) , Wednesday 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 (Ascending, no rest beyond changing plates), Friday 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 (Ascending, 3 minutes rest)

So... there are two things which don't allow to train hard 6-7 days a week:

1. CNS burnout
  2. "You grow when you rest"

What are you looking for? An all encompassing rule for optimal training volume and frequency? If I told you all this is highly individual, would you accept it and personally experiment to see what gives you the best results?

Should be number 1, watch for the Gym high. The addiction can lead to your 1 and 2, and is most likely why you want to do 6-7 days a week anyway. You start getting to the point when you have obvious aches that tell you to stop but you tell yourself they're nothing and push through it.

Currently training 6 days a week. High frequency, high volume, and heavy weight. Reps will not go lower than 3 however. Doing this for the next 3-4 weeks(or until I die, whichever comes first) before I move to something easier on the body

Every type of training strategy has a purpose. If you are eating enough, listening to your body and recovering well(no stress/plenty of sleep) I think you can do way more than most people realize. Implementing periods of very tough training, within reason, can help push you further along and at a faster pace in my opinion.

I agree with The-German. For a short period (perhaps 6 weeks). One can do almost any type of intense program.

There are numerous examples throughout the last hundred years of people who train for many hours, many days a week. Doing the same lift multiple times a day. E.g. Ronald Walker once pressed 8 sets of 2 three times a day, every day (see http://ditillo2.blogspot.co.nz/2008/04/pressing-schedules-charles-smith.html ). Or check out how the Saxon Bros trained http://www.bobwhelan.com/history/saxontrio.html . As TG said it's about paying attention to your body. Jumping in to high volume, high frequency, high load is a recipe for disaster, but building up to it can work well for some people.