T Nation

Training 2 Days a Week

Hey Jim,
Due to some nagging injuries, I will be going to 2 days a week. I will be doing the 2 days of training, 2 days of mobility/stretching and 2 days of conditioning template that you have outlined in the beyond 5/3/1 book. I just have a few questions about the template.

1. Would it be ok to throw in an extra day of “light” accessory work maybe on one of the conditioning days?

2. If I were to do a meet later this year, would staying to 2 days a week be effective, or would you advise training more often to prepare for the meet?

3. I know that you have been training 2 days a week for a while now, how have your strength gains been compared to times that you’ve trained more often?

Really appreciate the help Jim,

Thanks!

my training partner has been following grey pubes for the same reasons and only has good things to say so far.

[quote]amorter wrote:
Hey Jim,
Due to some nagging injuries, I will be going to 2 days a week. I will be doing the 2 days of training, 2 days of mobility/stretching and 2 days of conditioning template that you have outlined in the beyond 5/3/1 book. I just have a few questions about the template.

1. Would it be ok to throw in an extra day of “light” accessory work maybe on one of the conditioning days?

2. If I were to do a meet later this year, would staying to 2 days a week be effective, or would you advise training more often to prepare for the meet?

3. I know that you have been training 2 days a week for a while now, how have your strength gains been compared to times that you’ve trained more often?

Really appreciate the help Jim,

Thanks![/quote]

1. Then it wouldn’t be a 2 Day/Week program. This is something you either have to embrace fully or give up. Don’t find what I like to call “The Religious Loophole.”

2. Any amount of days/week will work - it depends on what you can fully commit to and what you believe works. There is no doubt that you can get strong training 2 days/week. The problem is that you obviously have a ton of doubt. I’m not here to convince anyone of anything - your dogma must change.

3. I am way stronger training 2 days/week - but training is cumulative. One thing that seems to be lost on many people.

Jim, could you show us your 2 days training template ? I am training 2days/week also and I am just curious.

Squat and bench on Monday
Deadlift and press on Wednesday.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Just expect extraordinary effort out of myself.