Training 2 Days a Week

Hey TNation first time poster here looking for some suggestions. I’m currently trying to get back into lifting. I have lifted for the last 2 years off and on and I’m looking to start back up again and hopefully stick to it this time. I’m mostly looking for some strength/vertical gains. I’m only looking to lift two days a week and would love any advice on training or designing a routine for just two days a week.

My Stats
Age 21
Height 6’
Weight 160

Squat 205x4
Dead 245x5
Bench 165x1
Press 85x7

Day 1- Bench and Squat
Bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Core
Upper Back Work

Day 2- Shoulder Press and Deadlift or Power Cleans
Shoulder Press 5x5
Box Jumps 5x3
DL or PC 5x3
Core

Short sweet and simple .

Eat big as well, are you working alot? just wondering why you can’t train more frequently.

[quote]MessyMatador wrote:
I’m mostly looking for some strength/vertical gains.[/quote]

Put some focus on squats and jumps.

I’m mostly looking for some strength/vertical gains. I’m only looking to lift two days a week …[/quote]
I’m guessing you only want to lift twice a week because you run a lot, play a lot of basketball, or do some other “cardio” most days of the week that you don’t want the lifting to “interfere with”. Yes? (That should be a non-issue with the right program, but okay.)

There are plenty of programs that have two days of training. The trick, though, is that they’re not specifically vertical jump programs. So I’d say your best bet is to prioritize basic strength for at least a few months, and then, once you decide to free up another one or two days of training, focus on really prioritizing the vertical.

(^ I’ve been doing this the last few weeks.)

MssyMatadaor,

I am a strength and conditioning coach based in England(and author). You can still great great results lifting 2 days a week.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I guess I should have been a little more specific about why only two days a week. I play indoor volleyball and basketball 3-4 days a week so I would just like to stay as fresh as possible for those. After reading all the articles and suggestions you guys have me I’m thinking something like this would work pretty well. I would be working out on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Day 1
Squat 3-5 sets of 5
RDL 1-3 sets of 15
Bench 3-5 sets of 10
Lat Pulldowns (I can’t do many chin-ups unfortunately) 3-5 sets of 10
Seated Cable Rows 3-5 sets of 10

Day 2
Deadlift 3-5 sets of 2
Leg Press 1-3 sets of 15
Bench 3-5 sets of 10
Lat Pulldowns 3-5 sets of 10

5/3/1 two day variant. Boom. If you can’t buy it, pirate it.

[quote]Pabro wrote:
5/3/1 two day variant. Boom. If you can’t buy it, pirate it.[/quote]
Um, or, instead of stealing from Wendler, someone could read the article he already wrote (which I already linked to) that specifically explains doing 531 on a twice a week plan.

I play indoor volleyball and basketball 3-4 days a week so I would just like to stay as fresh as possible for those.[/quote]
I figured. With the right nutrition (especially around training) and the right plan, that wouldn’t be a major issue. But, again, your call.

[quote]Day 1
Squat 3-5 sets of 5
RDL 1-3 sets of 15
Bench 3-5 sets of 10
Lat Pulldowns (I can’t do many chin-ups unfortunately) 3-5 sets of 10

Day 2
Deadlift 3-5 sets of 2
Leg Press 1-3 sets of 15
Bench 3-5 sets of 10
Lat Pulldowns 3-5 sets of 10
Seated Cable Rows 3-5 sets of 10[/quote]
That’s relatively higher rep, so you wouldn’t get much of a strength-focus like you said was your goal. For that, you’d want more heavy/lower rep work. If recovery is a legit concern, keep the volume per lift low (in the 10-15 rep range for total volume).

I actually like the routine you laid out although personally I would use lower reps on all the power lifts.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I based my routine off of this Dan John article 2 Times a Week for Twice the Gains and think I’m going to give it a try for the next two months or so since that is when I stop playing indoor volleyball. Then I will add at least one more day of lifting and really attack increasing my vertical and strength. I realize my plan is a little on the higher rep side so I might not make as much strength gain as possible but I think just getting back into the habit of lifting weights will help me more than what routine I do. So again thanks everybody for the help and advice.

but I think just getting back into the habit of lifting weights will help me more than what routine I do. [/quote]

I’m not being sarcastic:

It sounds like you have learned a lot.

What about Ian King’s White Men Can Jump. Its twice a week and about increasing your vertical.