'Trainers' Not Looking the Part

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
I’m not sure if I would fall into the category you speak of, Im 6’4" 220, bench around 280 max, squat 375, dead 365 for 3, definitely not great numbers for someone my size so could be.
[/quote]

haha, and you are the guy trolling the steroid forum saying you stopped taking a pro hormone because it was making things too easy for you? Clearly.

You make me LOL.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
You have to remember the type of people, in general, that are paying for personal training, are the same type that go get their nails done and get 150 dollar haircuts every other week. Personal training is looked at by many as a service industry in the same vein as those. How many hard working clients do you think you will have out of that stock?

You say it wont be work for you when you are a trainer because you love going to the gym. Pardon me but you have no idea what you are talking about.

Unless you get yourself into a situation where you are training athletes, personal training is and will feel like, WORK. Just the other day one of my male clients had to lay down on the floor and almost passed out after what I consider to be an EXTREMELY easy dynamic warmup. It is very possible that you end up having to spend hours and hours a week with the very people you in some ways despise (at least as far as work ethic).

Trust me it is no walk in the park. The biggest issue I recognized when I first started training was client adherence. It doesnt matter if you are the world best trainer sometimes, the majority of people will simply, flat out, not listen to you. It will be a very frustrating experience, at least initially. I guarantee it.[/quote]

Very good point. Now that I actually think about it, yeah I guess you can’t knock 'em till you try 'em. But then again, I woke up early morning and walked through deep snow just to get to bus stops and commute to the gym… etc. You know what I’m talking about. And I think even when I’m working and training someone who “wont meet my expectations”, I’d still take this over anything that requires sitting in front of a computer all day and typing/organizing shit. No offence to guys who do accounting/computer related jobs, but that just ain’t me.

[quote]westdale warrior wrote:
im 5’8’’ 170 lbs and 13.5 inch arms. however squat 375 dead 405 bench 245.
[/quote]
If potential clients see you busting your ass enough in the gym squatting and deadlifting heavy for your low weight they will respect your efforts and will be more likely to sign up with you.

My biggest confusion with trainers is working at gym A but training at gym B. How do you expect to get clients if they never see you working out…

[quote]Laoch84 wrote:
Some people call them “plastic” trainers and they are usually the most successful. For the most part these guys are endurance athletes(Triathletes, marathoners) and tend to be aesthetically pleasing rather than bulky. Almost the whole Exercise Science community is this way. Just go to a conference, it can be depressing.

I just graduated from one of the top Applied Physiology and Kinesiology programs last year and all of my profs, except one did nothing but run. Most of them look like they have never even picked up a weight, and that tends to rub off on a lot of the students. I was probably one of three guys out of 105 that weighed in at over 200 lbs.

I work as a trainer now, and no one puts up numbers like I do, and I consider myself pretty weak. I compete in Highland Games and Stongman comps and people here think I train like a freak. Only a few of the guys, out of thirty something, even train for bulk. It all comes down to how well you can sell yourself, personality goes a long way, and getting people tangible results goes even further. [/quote]

I was sorely disappointed with basic understanding of strength and conditioning science my profs and docs on my Applied sports science degree course had. The academic world still revolves around the aerobic model of fitness and despite the science you read and infomation that comes to light academia is slow to change course content.

[quote]agent37 wrote:

Unless you get yourself into a situation where you are training athletes, personal training is and will feel like, WORK. Just the other day one of my male clients had to lay down on the floor and almost passed out after what I consider to be an EXTREMELY easy dynamic warmup. It is very possible that you end up having to spend hours and hours a week with the very people you in some ways despise (at least as far as work ethic). Trust me it is no walk in the park. The biggest issue I recognized when I first started training was client adherence. It doesnt matter if you are the world best trainer sometimes, the majority of people will simply, flat out, not listen to you. It will be a very frustrating experience, at least initially. I guarantee it.

Amen to that. I thought training would be much more like fun than work before i did it full-time, but it’s really not the case. I like doing it on the whole, but honestly some clients just don’t want to listen to advice that they are actually paying for (WTF?), they refuse to keep appointments, and many just don’t want to work. On the flip side, though, there are those awesome clients who will bust their asses, follow diets to the gram, and do whatever you say without question, and some are even coordinated enough to do it properly. I have a decent number of those, and that’s why I get out of bed at 4:30 AM. Training sometimes feels a lot like a pain in the ass, but there are moments when it just kicks ass too. Besides, what other career allows you stop working in the middle of the day and lift, without even leaving the building?

[/quote]

There are numerous trainers at my gym and the one guy who is pretty big and muscular typically works with a lot of women or younger men. I think different looking trainers attract different types of people.

You have to remember there is a surge in the population of elderly people, baby boomers, who are becoming really conscious of working out and staying in great shape. Most of this clientele is not going to want a huge bulky trainer.

I don’t think everybody has to be “big” to be a trainer, but like other said, they should at least look like they are in good shape.