Trainer's Log

Hi guys my name is trainer i am 17 years old will be 18 in june.
i have been lifting weights since my freshman year in highschool i am now a senior. i first did it while getting ready for basketball season and ever since then ive just fell in love with weight lifting.

i dont consider my self a bodybuilder by anymeans but i do love lifting weights. im 5’5 and weight 160 currently. the reason why i am posting is because im sure there are a few guys my age that roam this forum for info and probably wonder what others lift
and do etc.

i have been looking at this forum for about 6 months or so its prettty good i love the articles. im going to use this thread just to keep a log for myself and anyone who wants to view it. also it would be cool to hear what you guys think etc. i wont be posting any pics of my self due to the fact that i dont feel comfortable doing so i kno weird right lol.

Monday Chest N Triceps FEB 26 08

I started off with incline dumbell press.
55x10
65x6
70x4 new max there.
60x8
50x6
40x10

these felt great and the 70x4 were great wid a nice deep stretch i dont have a training partner and never use a spotter and i got that after take a week off from a 6 week period.i also try not to waist time btw sets so i usually pick the dumbells up and run to the rack grab the next set and head onto pressing again. i like the intensity feels like im actually getting a good workout this way rather then bullshitting and timing my rest.

smith machine bench
135 x10
155x6
165x3
135x6
115x6
95x20 with different hand positions every 5 reps. that gave me a good pump and a nice stretch and rapped up my first 2 chest exercises with a bang.

Tricep cable extentions with rope
30x12
40x12
50x6
30x10
20x10
10x12
these were good i actually got some good weight on these usually i never get 50 but for some reason my triceps felt nice and strong but after the drop sets they were tight and it almost felt like if i did 1 more set they would tear loll.

tricep cable extension with the handle
one arm at a time
10x10
20x8
30x3-4 i think it was
20x6
10x10
i really focused on keeping my arm stapled to my side and feeling my tricep work. after those 2 exercises they were smoked.

dumbell flys flat bench
25x6
25x6
25x4
25x3
low rest time btw those sets and also i focused on the stretch and squeeze. they felt good i wanted to use 30’s but i just felt like i wouldnt have gotten a better stretch.

tricep cable extension with straight bar
60x12 whoa these were too easy
80x6 now these felt good
50X12
this excersise was done on another cable machine. usually people use both sides for flys or what ever there called i cant think of the name right now lol.

Cardio on eliptical
10 minz 1.10 -1.25 miles some where around there on level 10. wasnt as easy as usual felt a lil winded but it was a good run.
i did this workout under a hour and 10 minz.

all in all the weights were good i felt stronger then before afer taking my 1 week off but i also felt the muscle fatigue a bit more then usual but im sure next week i will see some extra reps or even new weights.

Tuesday LEGS!!! FEB 26 2008

its leg day and im happy because i enjoy leg day pretty intense i think it one the hardest day out of the week and really taxes my body. sometimes i also feel like a better man after tueday because usally in my gym no one is really doing legs.

last week monday i went to the doctor got a physical and weighed in at 160 and back in nov i also weighed 160. but during novemeber i felt or looked like i was carrying around more bodyfat at the time and i started doing more cardio and cutting my rest time. also i was suffering from some lower back pain.

this happend in august while deadlifting on the smith machine. it was a tiny sting and i overlooked it and continued on with my leg training that day. but when i went to the doctor she said i had a knot in the muscle and she actually pointed it out where it was and she said i just have to let it get back to normal and strecch it.

so this was one thig that did worry me because i felt like it would have a negative impact on my workout today. so i decided that i would not deadlift anymore on the smith machine from this day on. i also use the machine to sqaut which i will be stoping also i will discuss that later on. also the reason why i use these machines is because when i first learned to lift weights i did eveything with free weights because my school didnt have any machines so deadlifting and sqauts i had downpact from learning from my b ball coach and football coach.

i dont play b ball nemore and also never played football i just lifted with the team. did my own routine but lifted on the same days as them.

So today this is what i did:
leg press
360x12
450x8
500x8
540x6
360x6
270x12
i went deep as i can go and my knees cant go past my hips so i guess thats where im at these felt great and boy did my legs feel like jello after the first 2 sets.

Squats smith machine
o boy i liked this machine when i first joined this gym i thought it was cool but now im starting to dread it due to the fact that it seems to be puting a decent amount of stress on my lower back and i do feel it i also think this is what has kept my lower back from really healing up.

155x10
185x6
155x3

i did these reps slow and went below paralell on some of them i was trying to keep my back from hurting. but starting next week i will retire my smith machine squats that machine has only cause me some trouble. i also watched a video of jay cutler sqauting and he was going parallel but his hips and upperbody and legs were in a completeley different position then myne were due to the fact that the smithmachine puts your whole hip and torso in a whole different other position. stupid machine. my legs felt burnt though.

deadlift
well i havent did these freeweighted in a long time. so here we go.
135x10
225x3
255x2
275x2 never touched the floor on the sets
325x0 lolll! i tried it cuz my back was feeling great and the most i ever done free weighted was 345 max. but i liked that my form was looking good the bar was scrapping my shins. i didnt manage to get it even 1 inch off the ground which i know next week i will try it again.

315x0 didnt even get this was a bit dissapointed but i managed to get up then i just couldnt pull nemore. i think i was just to exhausted. im not the kind of guy to really rep my deadlifts because my lower back get a gigantic pump and i also am frighted of hurting it.

leg extensions
this machine i tried today was lil bit different from the normal machine that has the weights stacked this one you had to add the 45 pound plates.
45x10
135x6

no real rest btw those sets.
225x0 lol!! well never tried it so i thought i wouldt be able to but i just couldnt.

180x6
90x10
this machine was good i will use it next week again but the first half the movement is so much harded then the 2nd half. its not like that on the other leg extention machine o well.

stiff legged dead lift on smith machine
i did 4 sets of this with 90 pounds.
i didnt count the reps at all i was going for feel and i got a big pump in my lower back and also my hamstrings got a nice stretch by my quads were toasted and felt like jello. lol

my work out was good nothing to complain about other then the sqauts were just weird and i dont plan on using smith machine for sqauts anymore.

CARDIO
5 minz .50 to .60 miles level 10 eliptical
this was tough i ran as hard as i could. i just couldnt do 10 minz after a leg workout.

thats about it! for today

WEDNESDAY FEB 27 2008
SHOULDERS AND TRAPS

What a good day for shoulders. My back lats, legs, hamstrings, chest, triceps are sore. I had trouble getting out of bed due to the fact I was just physically tired. This workout was great.

DUMBELL SHOULDER PRESS
45X10
55X8
60X5.5
Some random guy gave me a spot cool!! Usually get 6 on those by my muscle just gave out I just couldn’t move them after the 5th rep.

50X6
40X8
35X10 great pump on the drop set

BARBELL UPRIGHT ROW

I usually do this with the smith machine but decided to use the free weight barbell.

65X10
85X8
105X2 That was tough
95X3
85X6
65X6
55X8
45X10

SMITH MACHINE BARBELL PRESS
135X8 Nice deep reps also holding some of the contractions
115X8
105X10

SMITH MACHINE SHRUGS
155X10 held the contractions
245X6
275X2 wow those felt great
225X6
185X8
155X10
I also supersetted that with lateral raises don’t remember how many sets and also dont remeber the reps i was focused on getting a good movment in the shoulder.

calf raises
90x16-20
190x8 deep stretch
130x10
110x12

DUMBELL SHRUGS
65x6
60x6
50x8

No cardio today way to sore and i wanna recover from my soreness lol. pretty good workout seems like allot of volume for shoulders but i enjoy it and so far everything seems good and my shoulder been getting stronger.

the dumbell presses are where i really just beat them cuz i go really deep and sometimes i go up half way and then go down deep and that is really taxing on my shoulders.

Tommrow is back day dont know how that will go because my back is sore as is but this happens to me regularly. Its the first week back so everything gets sore!

Thurday Feb 28 2008

Today was back day along with biceps. My back is still sore from deadlifting and also from mondays workout so i decided to do a lighter and less volume workout. But also decided i should hit my forearms a little bit harder.
So here it goes.

Dumbell Rows
50x10
60x8
60x6
50x10

Lat pulldown
80x10
70x8
60x10

Close grip lat pulldown
80x10
100x2
80x6
60x12

Biceps!time

dumbell curls
35x8
30x8
30x6
25x10
20x10

concentration curls
25x8
25x8
20x6

barbell curl
barx8
barx8
barx6 i tried to hold the negatives

curled 45 pound plate and 25 pound plate both seperatley for about 2 sets each. they were in the hammer curl position and i didnt count reps just feel.

hammer curls
25x8
25x6
25x8

rear delt raises
i feel like my rear delts are underdevloped i never actually worked on them so i tried today.

10x8
10x8
10x6
10x8

by the time i got done with the excercise i felt like i should been using 20 pound dumbells but i will make sure every backwork out i do this to finish up.

dumbell wrist curls
30x10
30x8
30x10
30x10

well this work out was OK. i was beat from the previous days of lifting also my ipod headphones offcially croaked on me so i really couldnt focus on just lifting and listening to music i had to hear all the other bullshit around me. My biceps had a huge pump and i feel like that was important from now on i will pay attention to how my back feels before i go doing a whole routine.

No cardio today i feel like i need more calories in me and running will only weaken me. Next week i need to do the cardio as much as possible. my legs and calfs are very sore.

that raps up the week i may do some cardio tommrow depends on how the sun shines and how i feel. Looking forward to a great lifting week next week.

Monday March 3rd 2008

Chest and tri’s

Well its monday again. So after doing those calf raises on wednesday i had some decently sore calfs on thursday. then friday and saturday they were so sore walking became a issue really its was prettty badd and i was shocked. even up to today there a tiny tiny bit sore so is my chest which is always like that.
today was a nice warm day around 54 degrees i had no ipod but was really looking forward to this workout.

INCLINE DUMBELL BENCH

55X10
65x6
70x5 1 extra rep i made the attempt for 6 but i got it like 1/4 the way lol
60x6
50x6
50x6 the pump was so huge i couldnt get 8
45x6 again just couldnt move the pump was no joke

Flat benchpress smith machine

135x10
175x2 what a joke
155x6
135x8
115x12
105x12x10

Tricep extention straight bar

40x10
50x8 hard!!!
60x2
40x8
30x8
20x6 triceps were burning lol

Tricep extention with rope

40x6
30x8
20x6
10x6 ouch my tris tend to get tight and feel weird wen i get intensity going

Flat dumbell flys
25x8
25x6
20x8 went down 5 pound so i could really strech the chest
20x6

Tricep extention single hand cable machine
10x10
20x8
20x6
10x10

on some of the lifts i felt like my wrist was taking i lot of pressure even though i wear lifting straps i think i really need to beef up my forarms and “wrist strength”.
no cardio afer my lifting due the fact i needed to be some where about 45 minz after i lifted and i had to shower make a dinner and also get in a post workout shake and fruit.

turned out i didnt need to be there at that time i ended up rushing for no reason.
i came back to the gym later around 9 30 ish and did 15 minz of cardio running my first mile in about 7:44 on level 10 on the eliptical. i wonder if i went on a track and ran a mile would i be able to get better then 7:44 or is this machine bullshitting me? i just dragged though the other 8 minz i think i did about 1.80 miles i think that turns out to be around 8 minz a mile but i didnt do 2 cuz i wanted to get back home before 10.

school starts at 10:14 tommrow whoo hooo get some freaking sleep. it will be like this for the next 2 weeks so im excited and i wont have any other things to do after school besides lift and relax no work nothing cool!.

tommrow is leg day im going for 605 on the leg press and 275x6 dead lift. i will start getting back into the free weight squats
because smith machine sucks! or i may exchange my squats for some lunges!. i will see.