T Nation

Trainer Routine Question

Hi All,

I’ve been working out for a year now but recently got a trainer since my chest and back area dont seem to be developing.

Anyhow, I used to do 3 sets of 10 reps for my workouts, but now my trainer told me to do 4 sets of 15 reps. I couldnt do his sets/reps with the weight i currently lift so he started me lifting up light weight with his sets and reps.

Is there much difference lifting lighter weight with more sets/reps then lifting heavy with less sets/reps? I cant tell if im gaining with his way or loosing?..

This isnt enough info to be 100% conclusive but I would beleive that the trainer would do this without a reason. If you weren’t improving at 3x10 maybe 4x15 is a good idea. I have brought clients up to sets/reps that high before.

Your trainer may be trying to perfect your form, or shock your body, or work with you at this rep scheme for a while then drop to a lower, more strength based rep scheme. Give him a couple weeks then see what happens, and check back in.

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
This isnt enough info to be 100% conclusive but I would beleive that the trainer would do this without a reason. If you weren’t improving at 3x10 maybe 4x15 is a good idea. I have brought clients up to sets/reps that high before.

Your trainer may be trying to perfect your form, or shock your body, or work with you at this rep scheme for a while then drop to a lower, more strength based rep scheme. Give him a couple weeks then see what happens, and check back in. [/quote]

That there is a solid, informative and helpful post. NICE!!!

For what its worth I agree with all of it, including the “I would beleive that the trainer would do this without a reason.” THat is a good reason for the check back in two weeks. He may be piss poor and just having you do something but give him/her the benefit of the doubt for now.

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
This isnt enough info to be 100% conclusive but I would beleive that the trainer would do this without a reason. [/quote]

Ehhh, I just shook my head. Hopefully he’s doing this because of some evidence the trainee has presented. Something along the lines of results taken from a test to show wether or not the trainee is dominantly fast-twitch, dominantly slow-twitch or more of an “equal” mix.

The trainee might possibly have dominantly slow-twitch upper body muscles involved in the bench press (triceps; chest; deltoids), this could be one reason why the trainer has chosen X reps for X sets. If he’s doing this simply to give you some random sets/reps to see a change your routine, ehhhh I guess it’s “okay” but even then is this what you are paying for? Why not just pick 2 numbers out of a hat.

Personal trainers might give you some unexplained protocols, but good can still come from this. Your trainer is there to push you and see you succeed, when his knowledge limits these expectations then it’s time to get another trainer. If he’s there getting you to your goals then it’s money well spent. If he’s there getting you to your goals and giving you the tools so you can do it yourself then it’s a good investment.

To the original poster: Don’t be affraid to ask “why that many reps?” or “why that many sets” or “why that long?”.

i agree with Lift4Life, you are paying…you are the boss, ask him why…if he’s answer is “to just mix it up a bit,” couldn’t you come up with that and use that money on something better?