Trainer Isn't Helping w/ Bulk

You’re a good guy 300.

[quote]Da Vinci wrote:
You’re a good guy 300.[/quote]

What i dont get about this site sometimes.

Wasn’t so long ago i went into a gym and was freaked :stuck_out_tongue:

And there was NO PT’s or whatever they are called a few years ago, i just watched the big guys doing stuff copied them and once they saw i was trying they helped.

So i pass it on, think most people do though some get pretty dis-illusioned sometimes with answering the same questions time after time.

But hey im fresh :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow thanks guys !

Thats quite abit more food than im eating right now so some weight is bound to go on, just hope it’s the right sort haha.

How come no starchy carbs? outta interest?

[quote]Taye wrote:
Wow thanks guys !

Thats quite abit more food than im eating right now so some weight is bound to go on, just hope it’s the right sort haha.

[/quote]

Im going to get eaten alive here but its VERY hard to overdo the protein and good fats in MY opinion.

If needed drop 1 or 2oz off the meat and reduce the fish oil by 1 cap and work back up.

But not to many peoples bodys complain about an overeating of protein or good fats :slight_smile:

As for carbs i dont tell anyone what carbs to eat, their body their choice, if you want carbs the ONLY meal is post workout, from messaging Prisoner who will soon hopefully get his pro card your body has no use for carbs pre workout so why bother your body with something it doesnt need.

[quote]Taye wrote:
Wow thanks guys !

[/quote]

Starchy carbs typically elicit a larger insulin response in contrast to other non-processed carbohydrates. If you look at something like potatoes, a very starchy, unprocessed carb, they’re perfect to consume post-workout because they increase insulin levels so well. If you want to put on weight, the first thing that should be addressed is calories and then protein…usually after that, everything else falls into place. If it doesn’t, then you need to look more closely at how your carbs and fat macro’s are set up.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
Of course you look sick when you drop weight. You are 5’4" and 115 lbs, Christ, I’m the same height as you and I looked sick at 115, and I’m a woman.
[/quote]
I though the OP was a woman.

[quote]300andabove wrote:
Taye wrote:
Wow thanks guys !

Im going to get eaten alive here but its VERY hard to overdo the protein and good fats in MY opinion.

If needed drop 1 or 2oz off the meat and reduce the fish oil by 1 cap and work back up.

But not to many peoples bodys complain about an overeating of protein or good fats :slight_smile:

As for carbs i dont tell anyone what carbs to eat, their body their choice, if you want carbs the ONLY meal is post workout, from messaging Prisoner who will soon hopefully get his pro card your body has no use for carbs pre workout so why bother your body with something it doesnt need.

[/quote]

Yey, Yey! great success.

300 has basically assaulted the correct in this thread. I would go with something extremely similar to what he has Rx’d. The Starr/straight 5x5 is a great program and will work like glue. dont switch the program just rotate out a new lift if one gets stagnant for a few weeks. It’s well explained by madcow on the site.

The diet is spot on as well. And your trainers diet is extremely soft and ill fated. Sad to say. I coach a fair number of female athletes and found that they thrive on a far cry from the usual hocus pocus nuts and yogurt bullshit that most people feed them.

The only addendum i would make to 300’s advice is to switch the fish oil caps to actual liquid fish oil. take up to 3 TBSP a day. Works wonders on many fronts. PM me if you need any details on why or anything else.

-chris

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:
Of course you look sick when you drop weight. You are 5’4" and 115 lbs, Christ, I’m the same height as you and I looked sick at 115, and I’m a woman.

I though the OP was a woman.
[/quote]

I think you’re correct.

-chris

Hi Taye,

I just wanted to point you to the Figure Athlete forums as well - I’ve gotten some really good expert advice and pointers on that forum. It’s also more geared towards women. If you post under the diet section you will get help; I’m banking that Beckie will give you some good tips.

12 months is a long time to go without some progress. What made you not seek a second opinion sooner? There’s almost absolutely no change in your body composition? Does your trainer explain to you why you’re on that program and why you haven’t seen progress? Did you talk to her about planning some cheats in there? Does your diet look the same every day? Is she responsive to your needs? (I’m guessing no on the last one)

On your diet I’d say try to get your protein from actual foods as opposed to powder. 3 shakes a day is half of your protein from powder alone. Swap m1’s powder into egg whites or other lean protein source. I try not to have more than 2 shakes a day, one being Metabolic Drive at night.

I personally really like Wet Wolf’s training programs. You start out with total body (3x a week), half body (4x a week), and it gets more advanced depending on your goals. Kiss Bodybuilding Workouts Goodbye is the article title. It’s on FA. I was also on a similar 5x5 program like 300 recommended for a couple months before I started Kiss (just personal preference to get familiar with weightlifting). You should read up on some nutrition and training articles there to get a general idea of what a good training program looks like.

I also second the lean mass gaining approach as opposed to straight bulking, it’s a less extreme way of going about it.

By the way, hey Chris - just wondering, why do you prefer liquid fish oil? I’m curious. =)

i figured you can get the same info/help from an online trainer that you can get here or at other forums. but moreso here b/c of the awesome articles.

save the money and buy food.

Thanks for the help guys, yes the OP is a woman

It wasn’t that i have had no progress, i lost fat pretty quickly it’s the gaining lean mass side of the equasion i seem to be struggling with, i wouldn’t have stayed for 12 months with no progress.

So 300 when you say abou carbs i understand that there is no point giving your body something it doens’t need but you said post workout if you want them, does that mean you don’t think they need them then either?

The reason im curious is that i’ve always done really badly on low carb plans in the past, im not sure if i’ve just been doing them wrong, eating the wrong foods/amounts perhaps because i always seem to flake and fall apart, lose energy, lose strength etc.

[quote]Taye wrote:

Thanks for the help guys, yes the OP is a woman

It wasn’t that i have had no progress, i lost fat pretty quickly it’s the gaining lean mass side of the equasion i seem to be struggling with, i wouldn’t have stayed for 12 months with no progress.

So 300 when you say abou carbs i understand that there is no point giving your body something it doens’t need but you said post workout if you want them, does that mean you don’t think they need them then either?

The reason im curious is that i’ve always done really badly on low carb plans in the past, im not sure if i’ve just been doing them wrong, eating the wrong foods/amounts perhaps because i always seem to flake and fall apart, lose energy, lose strength etc. [/quote]

Some people deal with carbs better than others, only you can answer that question through experimentation. Your body is best equipped to deal with the insulin response, typically provoked through eating carbs post workout.

[quote]300andabove wrote:…your body has no use for carbs pre workout so why bother your body with something it doesnt need.
[/quote]

Actually, pre-workout is one of the best times to consume carbs if you want to build muscle.

Losing fat is another story.

lol, my bad, I think I read one too many posts written by guys who lack the ability to eat that day.

Somebody already said it, but you’ll probably get better advice over on figureathlete.com

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
lol, my bad, I think I read one too many posts written by guys who lack the ability to eat that day.

Somebody already said it, but you’ll probably get better advice over on figureathlete.com

[/quote]

Humph

What magic advice will they offer that males can’t offer ?

Besides the emotional support i draw the line WELL before that

[quote]Taye wrote:

Does that mean you don’t think they need them then either?

The reason im curious is that i’ve always done really badly on low carb plans in the past, im not sure if i’ve just been doing them wrong, eating the wrong foods/amounts perhaps because i always seem to flake and fall apart, lose energy, lose strength etc. [/quote]

Well if its true and your not eh rationalizing the need for carbs, that makes you one of the few that does well on carbs… congrats :stuck_out_tongue:

However, 1st of all try my nutrition plan out for 2 weeks and see how it goes, with all solid meals you shouldn’t “lose energy” if anything gain it.

If however in 2 weeks, your still sleep walking through the day then ask again, but give it an honest try :slight_smile:

Post Workout is the only time generally carbs serve their purpose, as you have just worked out so the body is more receptive to using the carbs for their purpose rather than just storing it as bodyfat.

don’t worry im all up for giving anything a try at this point.

when i say i do better with carbs don’t missunderstand can cope on much lower carbs than the average person eats im not talking about needing them with every meal, when i was cutting i found 1 meal a day with a small amount carbs more than enough to keep me ticking over but it was wierd cut it out and i really slumped. Honestly though it might have just been the diet, maybe my trainer was feeding me the wrong things/amounts.

To be fair the reason i asked the “guys” rather than the girls is purely because im after gaining a fair chunk of muscle and i figured the FRIGGIN big guys where the people to ask as they are blatently doing something right and i figured the science wasn’t that different for men or women, not to say that the girls over at FA couldn’t help too :slight_smile:

Indeed, just they offer better support than us guys :slight_smile:

That would be the main difference.

Best of luck with it.