Trainer Etiquette

Greetings All!

I have a question regarding asking others in the gym for help. I am a complete newbie and recently joined a small gym in town. A large part of my workout plans involve compound movements (deadlifts, squats, good mornings, etc.) My first goal is to perfect my form for these movements, as to prevent injury. This gym is frequented by mainly senior citizens, so not many lifters around to ask for help.

The only suitable candidate is the personal trainer that works there but also lifts at the same time I do. I am wondering if it would be appropriate to ask him to walk me through the proper technique, or if this would be considered inappropriate. I have studied the pictures and descriptions of the lifts on this site, however will feel more comfortable with a pro showing me good form.

Thanks for your input!

I was in the same situation as you - in the beginning I went to the gym at a time when none of the big lifters went, but I asked the personal trainer to help me out and he gladly took 10 minutes out of his workout - hopefully urs will do the same

you wouldnt happen to be from CT would you?

Nope, Kansas, sorry.

Sure they’ll help you. We with some experience are always happy to help somebody in need.

He should be happy to help you, if he’s not willing to help then he’s a dick.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
He should be happy to help you, if he’s not willing to help then he’s a dick.[/quote]

Deep in my heart I want to agree with you, but I can’t agree 100%.

If he’s working out, as in performing his own workout, he should already expect to be interrupted by gym patrons/potential clients. (This is why many trainers avoid doing their own exercise at the club they work at.) However, this doesn’t mean he has to cut his workout short to give you instruction.

If he wants to make a good impression on you, and be an all-around nice guy, he should answer whatever quick questions you have, and then make an appointment to either run you through a full instruction session (which he’d probably expect payment for), or he could try to squeeze you in between his clients, since it’s just basic exercise technique.

Truthfully, since you say you are “a complete newbie”, hiring him for one or two sessions wouldn’t be the worst idea, since you’ll have his full attention.