T Nation

Trainer At My Gym...What?!

Alright...so this trainer at my gym (who is fairly built, which is why im perplexed) has his young trainee doing these curls. He tells the guy he does these exclusively and taht a body builder showed him them. this was the routine...

A 10 pound bar, 3 sets of 36 reps.

Is that a little excessive or is that just me? It doesnt sound like he is gonna have the kid increase the weight any time soon either.

I feel sorry for the trainee, hope he didn't have to pay for this "advice".

Seems like everyone can call himself a trainer nowdays, how sad.

Im trying to think of an excuse for that... i really cant.

Sounds like he is confusing it with the "Hundred reps to bigger guns" workout.

You saw him show a new trainer to do this ONE TIME and you have come to the conclusion that he plans to never increase the weight used? Not only that, but you say this is "excessive" when it is only 10lbs and it sounds like he was teaching form first instead of using a much heavier weight?

I don't understand YOUR logic.

Wow. A bit blunt but the Professor is right on.

Gotta agree with all he just posted.

Yeah well I heard a trainer at my gym say this to another trainee while spotting him.

"Dude I worked out my arms on Monday and ther're STILL sore."

It was Wednesday.

And yes, if that is the workout he does exclusively for bi's, that makes no sense.

True, but if it's the EXERCISE he does exclusively for bi's, it makes a great deal of sense. Back when I was training clients, I'd demonstrate squats with a 45-lb bar or even a broomstick. I'd have them do high reps to really get the feel for the movement. And I'd tell them that these were primarily what I did for legs--with both my clients and myself understanding that I meant I primarily did squats for my legs, not that I primarily did high-rep sets with the bar or the broomstick.

Prof X : From the dialogue I heard the two go over, it definitely sounded like he had no intentions of changing the exercise. It was something to the effect of.

"Yeah, these are pretty much all I ever do. And these are all you need to do as well. A bodybuilder taught them to me so you know they work... So yeah, like i said, this is the only arm exercise you will ever need."

How does my logic sound now?

It sounds like you need to mind your own business in the gym. Honestly, if that works for him, what are you complaining about? I have written how I train on this site and some people act as if it is impossible that I am making gains. Perhaps it is you who needs to think outside the box every once in a while.

How do you know it was exactly 36 reps? You counted? Over how many sets again? I assume you know this right off because instead of focusing on your own training, you were engrossed by someone else's. Is it not possible that you mistook something said? Why not give the trainer this website adress so he can defend himself instead of you doing it for him?

The point is, I see nothing HARMFUL in what you wrote.

Given the godawfull things I have seen people do, even with something a simple as the curl, this doesn't sound that bad. He might just be getting the kid to focus on learning this before he does anything else. Probably better than the hipthrust/ standing reverse hyper followed by a bicep curl and chin busting form I've seen some people attempt. Looks more like a weighted seizure.

Who was the trainee...? I wouldn't have a "young" trainee new to the game of Iron doing any heavy lifting or compound movements until they learn how to handle weights first. From a hypertrophy perspective this is acceptable...as long as the trainer tells his client that these exercises need to be changed on a regular basis.

What? Maybe not heavy lifting until form is learned. But there is no point in postponing compound movements. They are not rocket science. A beginner can learn proper form with them from the getgo with appropriate instruction. I certainly think it's preferable to only starting with bicep curls, tricep extensions, the pec deg, lat raises, leg extension, and hamstring curls.

Prof : I wasn't eves dropping necessairly, I was on the calf raise machine and they were in the squat rack doing curls RIGHT next to me. I couldn't help but hear what they were saying.

I know it was 36 reps because there was a count to it, 3-6-9-9-6-3 without stopping.

I think you'll notice in my original post that I say nothing harmful or derogatory, i merely mention that I think this a little excessive in terms of repetitions considering it doesnt sound like he is going to up the weight/rep scheme at all. I am fairly new to training and programs and was asking anyone on here if they had ever heard of a program considering the trainer said "a bodybuilder showed this to me."

Now that you have totally critized me, is there anything else I can answer for you? Oh... And I had just gotten done doing squats and dead lifts if you wanted to know what my training day looked like. It is documented, along with my food intake, in a log I have been keeping.

What got me is how many are so quick to latch on to anything that sounds different than what they heard of before and begin to criticize it. I have gotten some of the best advice from people more developed than me in the past. There seems to be some belief that if a concept isn't endorsed by someone who has written a book, then it must not be right.

I still don't see why this seemed odd to you, and definitely not enough to even ask the question as if it were so weird that there was doubt. Have you heard of 21's? Do you think they are ineffective? Should they never be taught to beginners?

Lonnie,

Did you think to ask the trainer any questions? (After he was finished with his client of course)

It seems that the barbell curl would be an awsome exercise to focus on bicep developement. It aslo seems that starting with very high reps in order to learn the movement makes for good technique when the weight gets higher. It also seems that the trainer said nothing that would make me believe he intended his client to never up the weight.

Don't assume anything, ask... which you did on this post, but really, the person to ask should have been the trainer.

High reps are great for learning a movement and serve well for recovery. Never changing the weight and reps will lead to know where.

Rolo.

I am asking questions. I didn't bash anyone, rather I came to a place full of experienced lifters and simply stated that I thought it was a little excessive and wanted your input. I wouldn't have questioned anything but the trainer was built and from what he said used an exclusive 100+ rep workout.

I'm not new to trying out stuff. For the first 24 weeks of this year I did a 1 body-part-per-day workout (which actually did wonders for my strength). And I am currently doing ABBH... so I am trying to get a feel for new stuff.

Oh well... End of discussion I suppose.