T Nation

Train Twice a Day


#1

i would like to train twice a day
i have home gym with everything needed include (power rack, low/height pulley,leg extension/curl,bench ,dips chin up barbbell dumbbell etc)
so i would like to train first in the morning and second in the evening so i have some question
1. when to train in the morning before or after meal ?
2. how does these two workoute a day goes ? chest morning chest evening ? or chest morning back evening ? i really dont know :S
if u have something to add i will be happy
anyway i am training for 2 years now
ty for help .
i thought about this routine :
day one : morning : chest evening : back
day two: morning: hamstring evening : quad
day three: morning : shoulder evening : abs and calf
day four : rest
day five : repeat
opinions?
or should i train one muscle a day morning light and evening heavy ?


#2

Have you tried training ONCE A DAY first and seen great results with that?


#3

I’m not quite sure why you want to train twice a day? But for the sake of this thread, what are your goals?


#4

[quote]light_night wrote:
i would like to train twice a day
i have home gym with everything needed include (power rack, low/height pulley,leg extension/curl,bench ,dips chin up barbbell dumbbell etc)
so i would like to train first in the morning and second in the evening so i have some question

  1. when to train in the morning before or after meal ?
  2. how does these two workoute a day goes ? chest morning chest evening ? or chest morning back evening ? i really dont know :S
    if u have something to add i will be happy
    anyway i am training for 2 years now
    ty for help .
    i thought about this routine :
    day one : morning : chest evening : back
    day two: morning: hamstring evening : quad
    day three: morning : shoulder evening : abs and calf
    day four : rest
    day five : repeat
    opinions?
    or should i train one muscle a day morning light and evening heavy ?[/quote]
  1. Generally good to train after a meal, but long enough so that the meal is digesting. The alternative to that is to train before breakfast, but have a fast digesting protein shake with carbs about 30 minutes before training, sip something during training, then protein shake afterwards, then breakfast. When I train early morning that is the method I prefer personally.

  2. Can do either. I would try doing the same body part both workouts in one day, but making the morning workout all compound lifts–no isolation exercises, and the evening session all isolation stuff for pump, no heavy compound pressing. So it would look something like this:

day 1: AM: chest/shoulder pressing PM: chest/shoulder isolation/pump
day 2: AM: back heavy compounds PM: back isolation/pump (rear delts would go here)
day 3: AM: Legs heavy PM: legs isolation/pump
day 4: REST
day 5: REST or Repeat


#5

my goal is like every one
to get lean muscle :slight_smile:


#6

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]light_night wrote:
i would like to train twice a day
i have home gym with everything needed include (power rack, low/height pulley,leg extension/curl,bench ,dips chin up barbbell dumbbell etc)
so i would like to train first in the morning and second in the evening so i have some question

  1. when to train in the morning before or after meal ?
  2. how does these two workoute a day goes ? chest morning chest evening ? or chest morning back evening ? i really dont know :S
    if u have something to add i will be happy
    anyway i am training for 2 years now
    ty for help .
    i thought about this routine :
    day one : morning : chest evening : back
    day two: morning: hamstring evening : quad
    day three: morning : shoulder evening : abs and calf
    day four : rest
    day five : repeat
    opinions?
    or should i train one muscle a day morning light and evening heavy ?[/quote]
  1. Generally good to train after a meal, but long enough so that the meal is digesting. The alternative to that is to train before breakfast, but have a fast digesting protein shake with carbs about 30 minutes before training, sip something during training, then protein shake afterwards, then breakfast. When I train early morning that is the method I prefer personally.

  2. Can do either. I would try doing the same body part both workouts in one day, but making the morning workout all compound lifts–no isolation exercises, and the evening session all isolation stuff for pump, no heavy compound pressing. So it would look something like this:

day 1: AM: chest/shoulder pressing PM: chest/shoulder isolation/pump
day 2: AM: back heavy compounds PM: back isolation/pump (rear delts would go here)
day 3: AM: Legs heavy PM: legs isolation/pump
day 4: REST
day 5: REST or Repeat [/quote]

This. I basically train twice a day 5 days a week. Pretty close to this. I love it. Works great.


#7

how much exersices ?
how much set and rep ?
and how much caloris should i add to this one more workoute ?
and back day inculde deadlift so i will do after this day squat ? seem werid


#8

i know only one compund chest exersices (bench press )
and isolate i got only to do dumbbell fly and pullover
anyway can u give me example of exersices compund and isolate what i can do in my home gym ?
ty


#9

[quote]light_night wrote:
i know only one compund chest exersices (bench press )
and isolate i got only to do dumbbell fly and pullover
anyway can u give me example of exersices compund and isolate what i can do in my home gym ?
ty[/quote]

Aren’t you tired after one session a day? I get tired from 4 sessions (upper/lower twice) a week and that’s just four movements. I think that you want to spend a lot of time in the gym (I would understand this because my buddies and I hang out at the gym…we try not to talk too much :P).

I read on an article on this site that the thing intermediates need to learn is that they should learn the value of rest and recovery. Beginners can almost not overtrain, advanced lifters already know the value of R&R or they would not be advanced, but intermediates often push themselves too much (can’t find the quote but it’s close enough).

Not saying to wimp out and not train hard, just saying that 2 sessions a day doing many exercises might be too much.

disclaimer- you should not trust strangers on the internet


#10

[quote]light_night wrote:
how much exersices ?
how much set and rep ?
and how much caloris should i add to this one more workoute ?
and back day inculde deadlift so i will do after this day squat ? seem werid
[/quote]

Only 2-3 exercises in the morning session, trained low rep for strength (4 sets of 6, 5 sets of 5, or similar).

You would put deadlift on leg day doing this, and do both squats and deadlifts in the same workout.


#11

[quote]light_night wrote:
i know only one compund chest exersices (bench press )
and isolate i got only to do dumbbell fly and pullover
anyway can u give me example of exersices compund and isolate what i can do in my home gym ?
ty[/quote]

only one compound chest exercise?? no, there are a lot… barbell bench, wide grip bench, incline bench, decline bench, decline wide grip bench, inxline wide grip, one and a half bench style reps, dumbbell bench, dumbbell incline and decline benches, neutral grip dumbbell benches, squeeze press dumbbell benches. there are lot.

Look, at this point I don’t think you should train twice a day. if you only know one compound exercise for chest, you are not knowledgeable enough to make good gains on a twice daily program–it shows you still do not understand the basics. you would be much better off at this point doing a pre-written program by a coach rather than trying to design your own workouts OR trying to train 2 times a day.

Multiple workouts a day is reserved for those people who have a very knowledgeable grasp of exercises and how to organize weekly workouts already. It is the next step up.