Train Pavel's Way, Yes or No?

Training for strenth. Is Pavel’s Power to the People method good to follow.
Eg. 5 Days a week, 3 lifts per day - horizontal pushing variation, horizontal pulling variation, and deadlift variation, using wave loading parameters, cycle lasts between 8 and 16 weeks. Second cycle after first complete using vertical pushing variation, horizontal pulling variation, and deadlift variation.

Or would I be better to follow conjugated periodization, and such programs by Westside, Chad Watrbury, Christian Thibaudeau, and Charles Polquin?

Would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks.

I have trained with PTP and will do it again. Does it work? Yes. 8-16 weeks is too long for a cycle. Three week cycles seem to work the best, then start over with a little more weight.

I like to use deadlifts, sidepress and pull ups. Some the best cycles I have used I started at 135 for the deadlift and just added five pounds per day untill I got to about 70% 1RM. Once there start the following monday at 135 again and do 15 pound jumps per day Mon-Fri. The next monday start 5 pounds heavier and make 15 pound jumps again. Of course this all depends on how much you can lift.

Yes this is long and drawn out but it pays off in the end. Try to stay fresh, take long rest periods and dont forget that the second set is 10% less than the first. I found it easy just to put the numbers and formulas in Excel.

Good Luck, you wont add much in size but you’ll get very strong.

I’m interested to hear more about his methods, although I don’t want to buy his book. Anyone want to go into further details about this training?

Thnx
Carter

ok son, go here:

http://www.kravmaga.nu/weights/default.asp

this sets up a power to the people type wave for you, all you need to do is plug in your numbers.

For more info on what % to start on, go to dragondoor.com, and read the Power to the people with Sean someone or other article. In the article he uses singles rather than sets of 5 but the number crunching is the same.

Also read Pavels articles on hyper-irridation, (I think that’s what it’s called). Basically he suggests you tense your entire body when performing any lift, as it increases your strength. I find this works, although it’s hardly anything novel. He also recommends deep breathing in between sets - which again I use and find it focuses the mind and relaxes the body for the next set. But again, not exactly ground breaking.

The PTP programme will defo work for an intermediate or beginner lifter, but you will reach a limit on this waved approach IMO. At this point weakpoint training etc may be the best way to get through your plateau - ala westside. Have a read of the dragondoor site, there is some good info among a lot of fluff and virtual vodka-drinking. Dunno if it’s against the rules to criticise another site but you may get irritated by it’s lack of user-friendliness compared to this site…

The only thing I don’t like about Pavel’s methods is the pre-workout Panty Sniffing…:)–!

(Sorry…its a T-Nation “inside” joke that I just couldn’t let pass!)

Mufasa

http://media.putfile.com/Pavel-Deadlift-Video

you mean this pre workout panty sniff?

[quote]Diesel_Rig wrote:
…would I be better to follow conjugated periodization, and such programs by Westside, Chad Watrbury, Christian Thibaudeau, and Charles Polquin?

Would appreciate some opinions.

Thanks.[/quote]

Hmm let me think a moment. Should you follow Pavel’s programs or the teachings of the best strength coaches on T-Nation.

Okay, I have your answer: Follow the advice of the best strength coaches on T-Nation.

(No snide remarks about Pavel here folks-Just good common sense:)

Pavel’s stuff is hyped but it works. Absorb what is useful and whats not. I like his stretching video and books.

Sorry for stealing the thread, but is that good technique for a dead? he seems to round his back. btw, can anyone aproximate what weight he is using? Thanks, Vlad

[quote]Black Thorn wrote:
Sorry for stealing the thread, but is that good technique for a dead? he seems to round his back. btw, can anyone aproximate what weight he is using? Thanks, Vlad[/quote]

No - that is not good technique for the deadlift - good thing his back is strong. If I am seeing the weight correctly it is about 407 - 440 lbs or 185 - 200 kg. I am not sure if that is a 10 kg plate and then a 2.5 or 5 kg. It is hard to tell from that angle.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
Black Thorn wrote:
Sorry for stealing the thread, but is that good technique for a dead? he seems to round his back. btw, can anyone aproximate what weight he is using? Thanks, Vlad

No - that is not good technique for the deadlift - good thing his back is strong. If I am seeing the weight correctly it is about 407 - 440 lbs or 185 - 200 kg. I am not sure if that is a 10 kg plate and then a 2.5 or 5 kg. It is hard to tell from that angle.[/quote]

According to what you the two previous posters have stated Pavel who weighs about 200lbs. is Deadlifting about double body weight in poor form.

Do I have that right? If not someone please correct me as I don’t want to slight the Evil Russian. :slight_smile:

if Pavel weighs 200lbs, then I’m guessing a good 50lb of that is body hair…

[quote]juninho wrote:

[/quote]

lol

[quote]juninho wrote:
[/quote]

LOL good one…but he is pretty tall…

He doesn’t even look like he weights 200 lbs though, I bet he is 185 or something.

I’m only 205, and I looked liked Pavel 2 and a half stones - and one mach 3 turbo - ago.

I lied about the mach 3 turbo actually, even without shaving I couldn’t hope to reach his level of hairyness.

[quote]fahd wrote:
He doesn’t even look like he weights 200 lbs though, I bet he is 185 or something.[/quote]

If the guy is 6’ 1" there is no way he weighs less than 200lbs. Take a good look at his upper legs. Again, height is most of it.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
fahd wrote:
He doesn’t even look like he weights 200 lbs though, I bet he is 185 or something.

If the guy is 6’ 1" there is no way he weighs less than 200lbs. Take a good look at his upper legs. Again, height is most of it.[/quote]

Agreed. An average guy that is 6’1 probably weigh around 185 anyway, and I would guess they have a lot less muscle than he does.

Well, I’ve experimented with PTTP. I’d have to say that it’s useful, and that you feel very fresh on it. BUT, I wouldn’t use it for the majority of the training you do.

Personally, I’ve found that whatever one lift I’m maintaining in any given cycle is a good candidate for PTTP. Keeps it fresh, and has actually yielded strength gains without detracting from my more specialized work. But not something I’d train primarily with.

I’d also rather use 3 reps a set. Weakpoint training is definitely where it’s at. On the other hand, if your weak point is at the right spot (ie-if you’re “built” for a lift, or if you’ve shifted your WP to that spot) you can get some good strength gains. Probably better for Oly lifts all in all though. However, the Smolov cycle kicks butt. If you survive.

But he is a lot leaner then the average 185 guy. So he appears much bigger.