Train Differently Based on the Season?

Personally, I train differently in the summer. I play probably around 25 hours of basketball per week during the summer. This causes problems with leg day, because AFTER leg day I can barely walk for the next 2 days, let alone run or jump. It’s really vexed me over the years. So I end up not training my legs as much during the summer. Anyone else vary routine based on time of year?

ALSO if anyone has a suggestion for how to train my legs AND still be able to run jump and do everything else basketball requires, please chime in.

Heres a hint : Moderate-High Load, Keep the Volume LOW… considering the amount of activity your exposing yourself to.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
It’s really vexed me over the years. [/quote]

Yeah here’s a suggestion. Stop using fancy words.

If “vexed” is fancy to you, you need to start reading more.

since I’m still a student, summer is the time for gains especially in strength. I tend to lift a lot heavier, and more volume in summer.

I’ll tell you right now to set your priorities. Either lessen your leg day volume or lessen your basketball. You’ll have to sacrifice something. It’s perfectly normal.

If you still want to maintain volume for both, bulk up on recovery supplements. Fish oil, ZMA, BCAA and a recovery shake should help you. Mass dose the BCAAs. Their effects are limited, though, and they cost a lot together.

There’s nothing wrong with giving your legs a break for a little while, plus your doing a lot of sport, this is all good. Your back and legs will have a break. I would just train legs to maintain them and hit them back hard when basket ball had ended. Just my 2% of a buck.

well, there’s no secret that all athletes switch training routines once they are in season in that particular sport.

if you follow westside 3, you do 2 leg days during off season and then go to 1 ME day once your in season

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
If “vexed” is fancy to you, you need to start reading more.[/quote]

Unfortunately I never learned to read when I was young and don’t feel like learning now.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
rmccart1 wrote:
If “vexed” is fancy to you, you need to start reading more.

Unfortunately I never learned to read when I was young and don’t feel like learning now.[/quote]

you seem didactically challenged… Most Vexing…

My leg training changes slightly, I have some outside days that involve uphill sprints, sled dragging and car pushing, among other things. Other then that not really.

^ The OP is “terribly vexed”

I’m also in college, so in the fall Saturdays are for football. I have to get my work in on other days. Other times of the year weekends are good for two quality workouts.

I lift heavier in the warm months and tend to be a tad weaker in the winter, may have to do with the gravitational pull or some sort of worm hole.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
It’s really vexed me over the years.

Yeah here’s a suggestion. Stop using fancy words.[/quote]

Trolling…in the Bodybuilding Forum. Careful, you’ll get tribunalled. I never even did this and got whacked.

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
Heres a hint : Moderate-High Load, Keep the Volume LOW… considering the amount of activity your exposing yourself to. [/quote]

Exactly. Why must it be all or nothing?

Options:
A. Don’t train legs
B. Blast the hell out of legs
C. Cut back on volume

hmmm, tough choice

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
BigKDawg wrote:
Heres a hint : Moderate-High Load, Keep the Volume LOW… considering the amount of activity your exposing yourself to.

Exactly. Why must it be all or nothing?

Options:
A. Don’t train legs
B. Blast the hell out of legs
C. Cut back on volume

hmmm, tough choice[/quote]

Agreed basically.

I would also suggest lower reps…they generally don’t make me as sore.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Natural Nate wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
It’s really vexed me over the years.

Yeah here’s a suggestion. Stop using fancy words.

Trolling…in the Bodybuilding Forum. Careful, you’ll get tribunalled. I never even did this and got whacked.

[/quote]

Well you have to understand I’m part of the illuminati (sp?).