Conditioning day

30 minutes of work with 40 lb vest

.5 mile airdyne
10 squats
~200 meter run

Finished 9 rounds + .14 mile airdyne

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 21 rounds

Notes

Weight vest always does the trick. I don’t break it out too much, so when I do it’s a shock to the body. Might have to start using it a little more frequently though. Today was just a solid day overall. Ready for the heaviest week of bench tomorrow

1 Like

Krypteia W3D3

Bench 5x175,200,225, 5x5x175
Superset w/
Chins 8x10
Band pull apart 8x15

BTN press 3x10 95lb
Kb row 3x12 45 lb

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 19 rounds

Notes

Last lifting session before starting BBB next week. Excited to get started gaining again. Have some new things I’ll be doing this time around, I’ll try & write it up over the next few days

Workouts will be longer next week, so going to need to move my wake up time a little earlier on Monday.

3 Likes

PM conditioning

30 minute airdyne- 13.04 miles

Engine felt so strong on this. Was able to just keep ratcheting up the pace. Maybe I’ve just gotten used to the way the morning makes everything more difficult, but I was just stoked with how fit I felt on this

Mapped out a plan for the next cycle:

Mainly, it’s BBB beefcake. I’m gonna stick with just 3 lifting days a week-Monday press, Wednesday squat, Friday bench. I will be doing back squats again as oppose to front

I’ll be running it 3/5/1. I’ve never ran a program like this before, so I have no idea how it’ll go, but I’ve seen enough people vouch for it that I can trust it.

I’ll be doing Malcolm X for the 5’s week. A good way to keep difficulty from just taking a dip, while also staying true to the program. Loved to see @T3hPwnisher write up of it, & I copy a ton of his stuff so why not this too. Speaking of which, I’m also going to be doing 3’s progression for the main work. The 1’s week topset has held me back before, so this should let the supplemental really be a grind.

Assistance on each lifting day will just be 50 dips, chins, band pull aparts, & 20 Ab wheel. Want to keep this quick with no set up & most likely just giant set everything.

Will be doing some version of Juarez valley front squats on saturdays. With no front squats on Wednesday, this will slot in nicely.

Going to continue daily ABC’s, & add daily fill the sleeves. 100 reps of curls & tricep extensions every day. What could go wrong…

Considering just dropping the main work on squats. It’s risky, but looks like it would be a similar plan to Bromley’s 70’s power lifter program. Just don’t feel like I get a ton out of the main work, & would rather REALLY push the 5x10. Got a few more days to think about this one.

Also- will still have conditioning cranked way up. Conditioning workouts every Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday on top of the daily ABC’s. I want to continue improving my running & overall capacity.

I’m m pumped to get started. Let’s do this

3 Likes

Conditioning all day

AM: 1.5 mile run (11:56)

Afternoon: mow lawn for 75 minutes

PM: 5 mins ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 27 Rounds!!

Notes

Two rounds PR on ABC’s…30 certainly seems within reach. Will film it the next time I do it fresh. I guess once I hit that I’ll need the heavier bells as I only have 45’s now. I finished 27 with about 4 seconds to spare. Let’s go.

Been thinking more about this next cycle- might just drop the main work for every lift. The goal is 5x10 at 145 for press, 205 for bench, & 275 for squat. Squat is a little low but I have only front squatted for the last month & a half so it should still be a reach. But the main work just wouldn’t happen if I’m using those weights. & those are the big goals. I’m not worried if I get weaker at moving the high percentage loads, I know if I can hit the above numbers I’ll be much stronger than before. Most I’ve done for 5x10 is 130 for press & 175 for bench. I’ve squatted 300x20 at the end of super squats before…but I still think 275 is a good goal considering where I’m at now. Got another day or so to think about it, but right now leaning towards ditching the main work & going full send for these numbers

3 Likes

Thinking more about plans going forward…I have some conditioning numbers that I want to hit too. May not be in the next 6 weeks, but I think they are doable within ~12. After tonight, I want those 30 rounds of ABC’s. It seems within reach now. Would also like to get a two mile run in under 15 minutes. While gaining bodyweight, this one will be tough, but I think I can make it happen. Last one is 15 miles in 30 minutes on the airdyne. All of these, along with the 5x10 goals are tough. I can’t wait

1 Like

Yesterday’s workout:

Thought I’d have more time but schedule unexpectedly closed up. Ended up getting in this workout that I’ve seen on here before

5 min ABC’s
5 min burpee chins
3 min ABC’s
2 min burpee chins

Got 20/35/10/13

Proud of the 13 at the end. My mind kept saying “just a 10 second break” but I knew I didn’t really need it. Just kept trucking. That was a terrible 15 minutes

Today I got in

Beefcake W1D1

Press 5x10x130
Superset w/
Kb row 5x10x45

Accumulate
50 dips
50 chins
50 band pull apart
20 Ab wheel

5 mins ABC’s- 18 rounds

Fill the sleeves

Notes

Today pretty much confirmed a lot of thoughts I had: this is going to be brutal & dropping the main work is needed. Finished the last set of rows at 15:50, so well under 20, but going up 10 lbs in 2 weeks will be TOUGH. Gotta eat to survive. Did a lot of meal prep yesterday to get ready for this.

Presses on the ABC’s were probably the hardest they’ve ever been

Fill the sleeves was good, fun to get a huge pump after everything else. Excited to see how it turns out

Might stretch a little bit later. Hip flexors have been so tight it’s sometimes painful to stand up from a chair…

2 Likes

Conditioning day

Airdyne 3x8 mins/2 mins rest
Got 3.29, 3.49, 3.62 on the intervals

5 mins ABC’s- 21 rounds

Fill the sleeves

Notes

Solid training day. Nothing exciting about the airdyne intervals, but they definitely widen the conditioning base.

Did some hip flexors stretching last night. They feel a bit better this morning, so I want to keep that up for at least a week or so

1 Like

Beefcake W1D2

Squat 5x10x250

Accumulate
50 dips
50 chins
100 band pull aparts
20 Ab wheel

Fill the sleeves

Notes

Pushing ABC’s back to this afternoon/evening. Wasn’t going to have time for everything this morning, & ABC’s later will help get some blood flow in the legs

Even without the ABC’s, this morning was brutal. First time putting the bar on my back in 1.5 months, & my legs felt it. Going to try & enjoy the rest of today, because I know I won’t be walking normal starting tomorrow

Stretching at night has helped my hip flexor pain quite a bit. They still hurt in the morning, but it’s WAY less than it was a few days ago. Going to keep at it to see if I can get it to go away completely. It made the first set much harder, as I felt like I was fighting just as much on the way down as I was coming up, but after that I was looser & moved better.

Legs are jelly. That is all

4 Likes

PM conditioning

Called an audible & went with this instead of 5 min ABC’s…will explain rationale below

5 rounds
5 ABC’s
1 mile airdyne

Finished at 16:13

Notes

This was just what I needed. I was already starting to feel soreness from this morning, & hips were extremely tight from a lot of sitting today. They feel way better now. Super restorative

Still got 25 ABC’s in, which seems like a decent enough sub for the 5 minutes. I had been getting used to the shotgun effort of it, so a little more drawn out conditioning was a nice switch today. This still sucked, but differently

3 Likes

Conditioning day

2 mile run (finished at 19:13)
At 20:00 begin:
5 mile airdyne (finished in 11:49)
Total time 31:49

Fill the sleeves + 100 band pull aparts

Notes

Legs aren’t the most sore they’ve ever been, but still very stiff. My stride felt so short on the run. Ran the first mile in about 9:45, then around 9:30 for the second. Slowest I’ve ran in a long time, & I felt like I was lumbering around the whole time. They loosened up a little as I went along, but are still tight. I have to think without the PM conditioning yesterday it would be even worse

Pushing ABC’s to the afternoon again. Had time to do them this morning, but the more often I can get extra blood flow to the legs, the better. So I think this will help me recover more than doing it all this morning

Did 2 sets of 50 giant setting pull aparts, banded curls, & banded tricep extension. Until today I had done 5x20 each day, just rotating what equipment I would curl/do extensions with. Was a nice change of pace & provided a huge pump. I’d sum up the rationale behind “fill the sleeves” with this: if I’m the next six weeks I gain weight, add weight to the bar on my 5x10 lifts, & add 700 curls & tricep extensions a week, there is no way my arms won’t get bigger from all that work. It might be stupid & possibly overkill, but I’d rather that than under do it & gain less

3 Likes

PM conditioning

5 mins ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 24 rounds

Notes

Happy with the effort on these. Took a few rounds to get loose, but I pushed hard the whole time. Finished with about 4 seconds left. Had that “fight for every round” mentality

2 Likes

Beefcake W1D3

Bench 5x10x185
Superset w/
Band pull aparts 5x10

Accumulate
50 dips
50 chins
Another 50 band pull aparts
20 Ab wheel

Fill the sleeves

Tabata airdyne (8x:20 work/:10 rest)

Notes

I expected bench to be the easiest day of the week for lifting… & was wrong. By the second set I realized it would be the most challenging to complete. It didn’t hurt as much as squatting, but this brought me closer to failure. The spike in volume on the main work has been really effective this week.

Going to hit ABC’s later again. I’m becoming a fan of having most of my work done in the morning, then getting home from work & getting blasted by the kb’s one last time. Got tabata airdyne this morning as I was short on time but knew I wanted the ABC’s later. Afternoon ABC’s has been great for getting a lot of different ROM’s in to loosen everything up later in the day. I feel like the more frequent activity has been good for my hip flexors

2 Likes

PM conditioning

5 mins ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 24 rounds

Notes

Traps blew up early today. The cleans & the presses got tough quick.

Legs loosened up continuously. Started out very stiff & by the end moved normal. Happy with that.

Effort was there again. It consistently feels like the longest 5 minutes evwr

2 Likes

Conditioning day

Juarez Valley front squats (10,1,9,2…) with 205 lbs
5 burpees + 6 chins after each set (50 & 60 total)

Finished at 17:34

Fill the sleeves

Notes

Been a couple weeks since I’d done Juarez valley. Even tougher than I remembered. That said, this is a 46 second PR, so that’s awesome

Got ABC’s & some lawn mowing later this afternoon

3 Likes

PM conditioning

15 minute clock
10 minute airdyne straight into
5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs

Got 4.55 miles on AD & 17 ABC’s

Notes

Put the airdyne first to be a bit of a warm up for the ABC’s. Still loosened up as the ABC’s went along. Also took about 20 seconds to pick them up at the start, so I guess closer to 4:40 of ABC’s. But it was a solid workout. Held over 27 mph on the airdyne which was really solid.

I think today is 4 weeks in a row of daily ABC’s. Gonna keep it up for now, but not sure how much longer. I’ll definitely do a write up on it at some point as well

Gonna hopefully get a bunch of stretching in tonight. Hips are all kinds of tight & in pain

1 Like

Conditioning day

Ran a little over 1.4 miles (12:21)

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 21 rounds

Notes

Still lumbering around on the run. Although soreness is significantly less today than the past couple days. I think Juarez valley helped a lot yesterday

1 Like

PM conditioning

15 minute airdyne- cruised the whole time & got 6.1 miles

Fill the sleeves

Holding about 24.5 mph on the airdyne & that being an easy pace is a good sign. Got my first day of Malcolm X tomorrow. Excited for it-50 presses at 120 by any means necessary

1 Like

Beefcake W2D1

Press- Malcolm X at 120

Finished at 8:53

Accumulate
50 dips
50 chins
100 band pull aparts
20 Ab wheel

5 min ABC’s w/45 lb kbs- 17 rounds

Fill the sleeves

Notes

Malcolm X was good. It made the pressing tougher than last week while having lighter weight. Definitely a good way to make the 5’s week tougher. Rested about 30-45 seconds after each set. I think I ended up doing 12-7-6-6-6-5-4-4. Could have went bigger on the first set, but I think this worked out well to be able to keep rest times under a minute

3 Likes

Good to hear Malcolm X worked well for you dude! Definitely turns 5s week into something interesting.

1 Like

PM conditioning

10 mile cruise on airdyne (25:00 flat)

This was my 6th day in a row of two sessions a day. Won’t have that luxury tomorrow. Wife is out with friends for a bit so I had nothing better to do. All the aerobic work is definitely boring, & almost feels wrong to not be floored at the end of it. But I know this lays the foundation for later on. Just gotta keep putting in the time

2 Likes