Traditional Elk’s training log

PM workout

Power clean singles to 225
Press singles to 190
Weighted pull-ups 5x90 lbs
Single leg kb deadlift 1x10x45

Wanted to see where my press is at, & pushed the pull-ups really hard even though it’s a “light” week. My best ever press is 195, so to be hitting 190 after about 13 weeks of focusing on sprint training is pretty awesome. With that said…I’m leaning towards starting bullmastiff for a hypertrophy block next week. My idea right now is to do power cleans in place of the deadlifts, & tinker with a little bit of the other stuff. But if I do that I’ll run it M-T-W-Th going squat, bench, power clean, then press in that order. Then I could do an airdyne workout Friday, sprint on Saturday, then something else on Sunday. Would be good to get back into some aerobic training after phasing it out recently. Not completely sold on this overall plan, but that’s my thought for now. I’m sure I’ll tinker & change some stuff up over the next couple days, or go in a completely different direction entirely, I’m not sure. We will see

2 Likes

PM workout

Form running drills/warm up

Vertical jump 6x2

Solidly hit my head on the ceiling 4 or 5 times. Measuring it, that’s probably a bit over 29 inches, which is sweet. Can tell I’m carrying a bit less fatigue from the lighter weights this week, so I definitely felt more powerful. Excited to see how that translates to sprinting on Saturday, as this was kind of meant as an experiment to determine exactly how much more power I could express while a bit fresher

2 Likes

I have found in the past that I can improve my 10m times by changing up my form, even though that doesn’t translate to faster 30+m. I don’t know the reasoning behind it. Maybe body angle or using more energy up at the start.

Hm that’s interesting. I wish my timer worked longer range, but oh well. I figure if I’m at least improving top speed, something is getting better

PM workout

Clean singles up to 225
Bench 3x5x195
Kb row 1x30x45 lbs
100 barbell curls
100 band push downs

1 Like

AM workout

Form running drills/warm up
3x30m sprint with 10m fly time

I took video of these as well as got the fly times. Flies were 1.17, 1.12, 1.19, but video times were all between 3.78-3.80…so yeah. Timing system seems like it’s not great. Range doesn’t work very well & the times aren’t nearly as consistent as it seems like they should be since I ran almost the exact same speed every time. Oh well. Considering returning it but we will see. Top speed on the flies put me at almost exactly 20mph, but the other two were closer to 19

2 Likes

AM workout

20 min airdyne- 7.2 miles

Nice to get back to my roots a little bit today. Plan for the coming block is:

Sunday- airdyne
Monday- bullmastiff squat day
Tuesday- bullmastiff press
Wednesday- jumps & airdyne
Thursday- power cleans then bullmastiff but no deads, so kind of a weird day
Friday- bullmastiff bench
Saturday- sprints

I want to keep jumps & sprints in at least once a week, but the rest of the week doesn’t need to revolve around them. I’m thinking I’m going back to training every day, as I think recovery on this should be fine after I acclimate, & time shouldn’t be a problem most days as the airdyne days will be shorter. Plus I was including rest days to recover for the sprints, because I wanted to perform on those, but this block I’m not as worried about that, just want to get them in. We will see how it goes this week & adjust as needed though

2 Likes

PM workout

Squat 3x6, 1x15 at 230
Single leg deadlifts 2x12x95
Weighted chins 2x12x10 lbs
Plank 2x1:00
Back extension 2x15

Day one of bullmastiff done. I cut the single leg deads one set short, as I kind of overestimated myself on those. Plan will still be to add a set each week, but I’m just starting at a lower number. Squats felt really solid, & I had quite a few more in the tank. Excited to see where it goes on this program. My work capacity is straight up bad right now, & I am destroyed from today. So much room for growth. I’m really fired up for this block

2 Likes

PM workout

Press 3x6, 1x13x125
Incline bench 3x12x135
Db hammer curl w/2 sec pause at top 2x15x20
Skullcrusher w/2 sec pause at bottom 2x15x45
Band pull aparts 2x25

Really solid day today. Enjoying these workouts so far. The tempo on arms gave a really solid pump, although my triceps were already lit up from the pressing before

2 Likes

PM workout

20 min airdyne- 7.33 miles

Vertical jumps 3x2

Between the fatigue from the bike & soreness from squats Monday, the jumps had almost no pop to them at all. But I guess that’s to be expected. Eventually they will recover, but for now the dip is normal

1 Like

PM workout

Power cleans 3x3x185
Front squats 3x12x155
Weighted pull ups 2x8x30
Plank 2x1:00
Back extension 2x15

Power cleans moves faster than I anticipated, which is nice. Picked conservative weights for the cleans, front squats, & pull-ups, so everything moved well today. Definitely room to build, but still a solid workout. Felt just right for week one

2 Likes

PM workout

Bench 3x6, 1x15x175
Press w/pause at chin 3x12x95
Barbell curls 2x12x65
Band push downs 2x25
Band pull aparts 2x25

Had an insane pump after the presses. My plan was to pause 2 seconds at my chin, but after 6 reps on set one I realized that was a mistake & went with about a one second pause. This still made 95 lbs extremely challenging. After that, the pump got even more gnarly supersetting biceps & triceps. Great way to end the first week of lifting

2 Likes

AM workout

Vertical jumps 4x3

20 minute airdyne- 7.45 miles

Conditioning is already feeling better. Solid work this morning after a really busy day yesterday

1 Like

PM workout

Squat 3x6, 1x12x260
RDL 3x12x135
Weighted chins 3x12x10 lbs
Plank 3x1:00
Back extension 3x15

Squats were really solid. Switched to normal rdl instead of single leg dead’s to cut down on time, & they hit me hard this week. Just those first two exercises had me feeling pretty wiped out. Chins were light, but doing them as a circuit with planks & back extensions makes them still feel difficult

2 Likes

PM workout

Press 3x6, 1x12x135
Incline bench 4x12x135
Hammer curl w/2sec pause at top 3x15x20
Skullcrusher w/2sec pause at bottom 3x15x45
Band pull aparts 3x25

Really happy with press today. Didn’t feel great at the start, but I just kept finding more in the tank on the amrap set, & that’s after a significant amount of volume already.
Really focused on maximal squeeze on the curls, & man did that provide a sweet pump. Feeling absolutely huge after this one

1 Like

PM workout

20 minute airdyne- 7.47 miles

Hamstrings are super sore from rdl’s, & I’m a bit sore in general from squatting, so jumping just seemed unnecessary. Not sure where those will fit in best

1 Like

PM workout

Power cleans 3x3x205
Front squats 4x12x155
Weighted pull-ups 3x8x30
Planks 3x1:00
Back extensions 3x15

Thursday is kind of a weird workout on the program since I’m power cleaning instead of deadlifting. Still a solid session but it definitely feels a bit odd. But not bad work today by any means

1 Like

PM workout

Bench 3x6, 1x12x200
Press w/pause at chin 4x12x95
Barbell curls 3x12x65
Band push downs 3x25
Band pull aparts 3x25

Really happy with the top set of bench, especially after all the volume before. Then got a huge pump afterwards. Really great way to end out the lifting week

1 Like

PM workout

25 min airdyne- 9.19 miles

Good day of morning conditioning. Have about an hour of lawn mowing to do later today as well. Cardio is slowly but surely coming back

2 Likes

PM workout

20 min airdyne- 7.35 miles

First day since the fall where it’s been really hot while training. Glad that’s back. Makes the training suck a bit more, but in a good way

2 Likes