Traditional Elk’s training log

AM workout

Form running warm up
3x30m sprint
4x3 bounding broad jumps
Nordic hamstring curl negative/partials 3x5

Fastest sprint was a 3.86, so not my fastest but only .01 second off. Didn’t feel like I had the “spring” that I did on Wednesday, so hopefully I can be timing myself next day like that. Broad jumps were alright. Did the nordics with my feet under the couch in our living room while my wife sat on the couch to keep it from moving. Really like them, just not sure I’ll be able to do these as part of my morning lifts. But I’ll try to figure out a way to add these in

1 Like

AM workout

Squat 5x255
Incline bench 5x185, 5x195
Weighted pull-up 1x14x30
Body weight pull-up 1x15

Doing a mini “deload” this week, where I’ll work up to a set of 5 around my previous training max, & doing no assistance this week. Moving to the 3 day lifting schedule this week as well to prepare for next week as I start my next training cycle. Squats moved well today. Nothing exceptional, but I can tell I’ve gotten way stronger as I think I could have hit at least 30 lbs more for a set of 5. Last set of incline bench was very difficult though. Don’t think I could have squeezed out much more, but this was my first time going heavy on it pretty much ever, so that’s not surprising. Went overhand grip on the pull-ups, so I think 14 with 30 lbs is a pr for that grip. Going to sprint tomorrow, then lift again Wednesday

1 Like

AM workout

Form running warm up
Hill sprints 4x~20m
Broad jumps 5x1

I hit 8’ 5.5” on my last broad jump, which is the most I’ve done these last couple of months. Not really a pr as my best ever is 9’ 5”, but I guess I could call it my new pr. But I should be able to continue improving it pretty quickly for a little while. Hill sprints were solid. Didn’t feel like I was flying quite like last week, but still good nonetheless. I do feel like my mechanics are just better with the incline, so hopefully doing these once a week will translate that to the track

1 Like

AM workout

Power clean singles at 185,205,225,245
Press 1x5x155
Kb row 3x15x45
100 light band pull aparts
20 banded external rotations

Power cleans moved surprisingly well for being by far the heaviest I’ve lifted on them in at least a year or so. But on the last one I caught it a bit soft, then instead of bringing the bar down I walked it into the rack to start pressing. Once I racked it, I immediately almost passed out. Caught myself on the rack, but couldn’t see a thing for a couple seconds & caught myself as I heard my feet stumbling. First time that’s happened in a while, so that’s cool haha. After that I was a bit worried about pressing, as that’s another lift that’s had a similar effect before. But they ended up moving really well & giving me no issues. Five moved fast, & I was definitely good for a few more. Solid stuff overall today. Gonna sleep a little extra & just do some sprint drills tomorrow morning

2 Likes

AM workout

Did a quick warm up, around 10 minutes of running drills that culminated with a few sets of A skips, then 2 sets of 3 vertical jumps. This was good, though it just feels criminal for this to be all I do today. Oh well, tomorrow is the last lift for the week, then another sprint session Saturday

1 Like

AM workout

Cleans 4x1x185
Bench 11x205
Kb row 50x30 lb kb
100 band pull aparts
50 band external rotation
100 banded curls

First time in a long while of doing cleans while catching in a full front squat. Didn’t feel heavy or anything, but the new movement is still somewhat tough to adjust to. Was hoping for more on the bench set, but I’ve slept about 4.5 hours average this week, as the baby has had a rough week, so I guess it is what it is for the top set. Oh well. Just gotta keep working. Rest of todays work was good. Today is the last day of school before spring break, so hopefully I can catch up on some rest/sleep for the next week or so

1 Like

AM workout

Form running warm up
4x30m sprint

Partial Nordic hamstring curls 3x5

Sprinting spikes came in this morning, so I got to bust them out for this workout. Ran two of the four sprints in 3.78, & all four under 3.85, which was my PR before today. Pretty sweet. Definitely feel more confident knowing I won’t slip/slide at all, so I could put out a bit more power. Will take a bit of time to learn to use them best, but really happy with today. Also-Nordic’s are hard. Hoping to eventually do full rom, but I’m not even close right now

1 Like

AM workout

Squat 3x5x225
Incline bench 3x5x170

Pull-ups 5x10
Back extension 2x15
Plank 2x1:00
100 band pull aparts

Slept a lot better the last couple nights, & it’s spring break this week so I can sleep in a bit the whole week. Needless to say I feel much better than I did a few days ago. Legs are tired now, but squats moved really well today. Incline bench was really good as well. I’m excited to be doing less volume & really ratchet up the weights for a little while. I have a sprint day tomorrow, which I’d usually do hills on since there is one I can walk to, but I may get to go to the track tomorrow since school is on spring break for the week, so I have a bit more time

1 Like

AM workout

Form running warm up
3x40 yard sprint
Hurdle hops 3x5

Times for the 40’s (time starting when first foot hits the ground, on a frame by frame app) were 4.59, 4.54, 4.53. These are huge improvements from the last time I did 40’s. My fastest then was 4.77, so I shaved about a quarter of a second off. Spikes are obviously helping, but my 30m split today was also definitely fast than Saturday. I’m focusing on driving my knees forward at top speed, & it seems to have helped a decent bit. Pumped about this, especially considering I just hit a squat workout yesterday. Hurdle hops felt like I was jumping very high as well.
Got power cleans, press, then some back & assistance work tomorrow

2 Likes

Afternoon workout

Power cleans 3x2x205
Press 3x5x135
Kb row 2x20x45
Split squat 2x10x95
100 band pull aparts

Power cleans & press moved well. Got caught up needing to do quick house things between sets, so I was a little rushed on the assistance movements, but they went fine. Got some sprint drills & probably a bit of jumping tomorrow, so that’ll be nice to get some extra recovery in

1 Like

AM workout

Sprinting mechanics drills
Seated vertical jump 4x2

A bit sore from the split squats yesterday, so I wasnt too springy, but solid work with the drills nonetheless

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean by when “first foot hits the ground” but those are incredible 40 times!
Jawku makes a great device for accurate timing without being crazy expensive.

1 Like

I try to time from when my foot first touches down on my first step if that makes sense. So if I start right foot in front, I start the timer when my left foot hits the ground. I’ve found this easiest to be consistent with on camera. BUT this makes the times look faster than they really are haha. I hand timed the videos of my 40’s & was around 4.6 on all of them, but when I time from first movement on the video it’s more like 4.75. But I guess the nfl combine starts with handheld timing then finishes with lasers, so I think I’d get around 4.6 in that setting. So my times may not be 100%, but I’m just trying to be consistent in the measurement. But I appreciate that man! I’ve looked at jawku & a couple others, I found one timing system that I think I might pull the trigger on & get in a couple weeks. Just not completely sure yet

1 Like

AM workout

Cleans 2x1x185, 3x1x205
Bench 3x5x205
Kb rows 1x40x30 lb kb
100 band curls
100 band push downs
50 band pull aparts

Cleans moved really solid, with every rep feeling better than the one before, even with the weight increase. Bench, on the other hand, was pretty tough. Even the first set felt like I didn’t have a ton left in the tank. Had the baby out in the garage with me & I ended up squeezed for time on assistance, so I knocked out the rows & band work in about 7.5 minutes. Overall not a bad day, though benching is a bit frustrating. But I’m trying to remember to keep my priorities right, & bench isn’t high on that right now

1 Like

Afternoon workout

Form running warm up
4x40 yd dash
3x5 max height jumping lunges
3x5 Nordic hamstring curl partials

Times were around 4.6 for the first 3, then a bit slower on the last one. Could tell I was a hair slower than earlier this week, but it is what it is. Wasn’t driving my knees up as well as I need to. Jumping lunges were actually pretty tiring even though it was just a few

2 Likes

AM workout

Squat 3x5x255
Incline bench 3x5x175
Weighted pull ups 1x15x30lbs
2:00 plank
30 back extension
100 band pull aparts

Squats felt really strong today. This was a 30lb jump from last week & I still felt like I was holding back a bit. I guess a week of no work & way more sleep may have been absolutely huge for recovery haha. Who would have thought

1 Like

AM workout

Form running warm up
4x~20m hill sprints
5x1 broad jumps

Hills went well this morning. On the other hand, jumps weren’t great. Longest was 8’ 3” which is decent, but I felt like I just couldn’t get the right angle to jump at or really use all the power I had. Definitely prefer doing primarily vertical jumping for that reason-no technique or accuracy component, just raw speed & power. But, it’s still good to keep the broad jumps in rotation once a week or so, & it is a useful one to actually measure

1 Like

PM workout

Power cleans 2x1x185, 2x1x205, 2x1x225
Press 3x3x155
BTN press 1x17x95
Single leg deadlift 2x10x95
Juarez valley (10-1) chins

2 Likes

PM workout

Form running drills
Seated box jump 4x3

Good workout today. Experimenting with afternoon workouts as my wife wants to workout together a little bit. It’s been nice to sleep extra the last couple nights, & afternoon training definitely leads to better performances. Been enjoying it the past two days. Felt like I was jumping through the roof compared to the normal morning jumps

1 Like

PM workout

Cleans 2x1x185, 2x1x205, 2x1x225
Wide grip bench 5x135,155,175,195,210
Kb row 2x30x45
100 barbell curls
100 band push downs
100 band pull aparts

2 Likes