T Nation

Tradition

Been reading a lot about Prince Harry demanding to be sent to Iraq with his troops. I admire that dedication and the tradition he upholds.

I just saw a great quote he made to the media.

“There is no way I am going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country,” he said on his 21st birthday.

Harry’s military service continues a royal family tradition.

His father, Prince Charles, was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy. Harry’s grandfather, Prince Philip, had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy. Prince Andrew served in the Royal Navy as a helicopter pilot and participated in the Falklands campaign with distinction.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Been reading a lot about Prince Harry demanding to be sent to Iraq with his troops. I admire that dedication and the tradition he upholds.

“There is no way I am going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country,” he said on his 21st birthday.

His father, Prince Charles, was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy. Harry’s grandfather, Prince Philip, had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy. Prince Andrew served in the Royal Navy as a helicopter pilot and participated in the Falklands campaign with distinction.
[/quote]

Agreed. If I were British, I’d be quite proud of this.

They need some good publicity.

JeffR

[quote]hedo wrote:

[/quote]
Rhetoric, considering GB just decided to reduce their troop numbers. Apparently the loss of 96 GB lives were too much for them.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
hedo wrote:

Rhetoric, considering GB just decided to reduce their troop numbers. Apparently the loss of 96 GB lives were too much for them.
[/quote]

Hardly rhetoric.

He backed his beliefs up with action.

But it is easier to denigrate service then admire it…isn’t it?

[quote]hedo wrote:

Hardly rhetoric.

But it is easier to denigrate service then admire it…isn’t it?[/quote]

Lifticus will try and deconstruct anything presented as ‘the good’.

A man who has essentially everything he could want decides to join the military and then volunteers for combat duty. You simply can’t piss on that no matter how hard you try. Good for the prince and his service.

[quote]hedo wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
hedo wrote:

Hardly rhetoric.

[/quote]

Indeed. The impression for a long time was that he was an immature idiot, smoking pot, wearing the Nazi uniform at that party, etc. There were real efforts to keep him stuck in the UK, good for him for fighting to get to Iraq. It’s hardly rhetoric, he is going over as a commander of four recon vehicles (I think they’re basically light tanks, definitely not Challengers).

His brother won’t be going though, he’s also in the Household Cavalry, but as direct heir to the throne he’s being kept out of harm’s way.

[quote]hedo wrote:

[/quote]

Prince Edward, Harry’s Uncle, washed out of the British Royal Marines Officer training in the late 80’s. The Royal Marines here in D.C. still brag about that. It is good to see that young master Harry doesn’t take after his Uncle.
Is it gay to discuss the Royals on a bodybuilding website?

[quote]BH6 wrote:

Prince Edward, Harry’s Uncle, washed out of the British Royal Marines Officer training in the late 80’s. The Royal Marines here in D.C. still brag about that. It is good to see that young master Harry doesn’t take after his Uncle.
[/quote]
That is cool.

[quote]
Is it gay to discuss the Royals on a bodybuilding website? [/quote]

Yes, but in a macho gay way.

His dedication is admirable but the fact of the matter is that his going puts the soldiers around him at substantially greater risk. The selfless thing to do paradoxically is to put himself out of harms way.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Hardly rhetoric.

[/quote]
Not really. They are both equally easy. What is admiration?

And since I doubt he would ever be allowed to put himslef directly into harms way–a fact which he’s probably considered–they are empty words.

I am a true patriot and would sacrifice my self–in life and limb–to a cause as ambiguaous as a nation. See? It’s easy to say [write] words.

hedo wrote:
Hardly rhetoric.

Not really. They are both equally easy. What is admiration?

And since I doubt he would ever be allowed to put himslef directly into harms way–a fact which he’s probably considered–they are empty words.

I am a true patriot and would sacrifice my self–in life and limb–to a cause as ambiguaous as a nation. See? It’s easy to say [write] words.[/quote]

Yes but your words are hollow and meant to mock. His are real and backed up by action.

Some get it, others don’t. Your in the “don’t” camp unfortunately.

It’ gotta suck being so negative about everything. Maybe things will get better for you someday.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Yes but your words are hollow and meant to mock. His are real and backed up by action.
[/quote]
The diference is that if someone else says it it’s more credible.

I am value neutral in terms of rhetoric. I don’t take words at face value; unless I can use them against their user to make an argumentative point.

Apparently the loss of 96 GB lives were too much for them.
[/quote]

Wrong. Britain being a democracy, they are listening to the majority of public opinion.

[quote]etaco wrote:
His dedication is admirable but the fact of the matter is that his going puts the soldiers around him at substantially greater risk. The selfless thing to do paradoxically is to put himself out of harms way.[/quote]

Good point but his demonstration of bravery may be good for morale and may not significantly increase the risk to his troops all depending on how he is used.

I would venture that his men are willing to take the extra risk to serve beside him.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
A man who has essentially everything he could want decides to join the military and then volunteers for combat duty. You simply can’t piss on that no matter how hard you try.[/quote]

Ben Laden was such a man. I piss on that any day.

Why is the British brat any diferrent?

[quote]lixy wrote:

Why is the British brat any diferrent?[/quote]

Aside from your preposterous moral equivocation of utterly opposite causes, your analogy suffers from another flaw - OBL isn’t in the field, nor does he want to be.

lixy wrote:

Why is the British brat any diferrent?

Aside from your preposterous moral equivocation of utterly opposite causes, your analogy suffers from another flaw - OBL isn’t in the field, nor does he want to be.[/quote]

He was in Afghanistan and I dare say that he was in significantly greater physical danger than Prince Harry will ever be.

Not that takes anything away from the other.

[quote]orion wrote:

He was in Afghanistan and I dare say that he was in significantly greater physical danger than Prince Harry will ever be.

Not that takes anything away from the other.[/quote]

Different issue - he was in danger because we brought the danger to him. Then, of course, he fled. The battle wasn’t in Afghanistan until we took it there.

I am not especially interested in Harry’s ‘level of danger’ - he chose to serve and volunteered to go into the zone of battle. Wherever he serves, I applaud him.

orion wrote:

Not that takes anything away from the other.

Different issue - he was in danger because we brought the danger to him. Then, of course, he fled. The battle wasn’t in Afghanistan until we took it there.

I am not especially interested in Harry’s ‘level of danger’ - he chose to serve and volunteered to go into the zone of battle. Wherever he serves, I applaud him.[/quote]

No, he comes from a family of billionaires and then fought the Sowjets in Afghanistan, which is where the CIA trained him.

He then attacked the US.

This guy took on, not one, but two superpowers, he is hardly a coward.

Wherever he serves, I applaud him.[/quote]

In the end you may only be applauding his words.