T Nation

Tracking My Weight Loss

Hey guys. This is only my second post ever. Last time I was getting back into a fitness routine. I’m happy to say I stuck with it (changed the plan since then) and I’m taking it to another level.
Click on my last post if you want to laugh at some beginner questions I had. Find details about my goals and diet below…

I’m a 22 y/o man. 6 feet tall, 234.3 pounds as of this morning. I weigh every morning after I wake up and pee. I keep track of that on a calendar. I have worked out for the better part of 8 years but I got out of the habit in college and started going to the gym 5 times a week again in April of this year.
This is the first time I’ve ever tried to lose fat or track macros. I have a large frame and I’ve been able to pack a lot of muscle on since April but I have some extra body fat. I want to keep as much muscle as I can and shed some of that fat. 220 is my goal weight.
Strength is good. Just to give y’all an idea: Bench Max is around 290. Squat max is around 450. I weigh every gram of food and track it in the fitbit app. I shoot for a 500 calorie or so deficit according to the calories I burned according to my fitbit. Usually that means I get to eat around 3000-3500 calories. So far it’s worked great! I’ve lost exactly 3 pounds in exactly 3 weeks.

TRAINING
I do three days on one day off and very high volume. I would post ann example of a typical workout but it isn’t my workout plan. I purchased it from a trainer and it doesn’t feel right to put part of it online. Aside from weight training, I do cardio 4-6 times a week for 15-30 minutes.

A typical day of eating for me:

BREAKFAST (About 550 cals)
-4 Large Eggs
-15-25 grams of cheddar cheese
-Half a tbsp (7 grams) of salted butter
-1 piece of wheat toast and 25 grams or so of jelly

LUNCH AND DINNER (800-850 calories x 2 meals)
-250-270 grams of 93/7 Lean ground beef with salt free seasoning so I can add my desired amount of salt
-65 grams or so of diced white onions
-25 grams or so of diced bell peppers
-60-70 grams of broccoli, steamed in the microwave
-100 grams of white or brown Instant rice (I have both and the nutrition facts are pretty similar so I go back and forth between the two)
-Half tbsp of butter to caramelize the onions and peppers

POST-WORKOUT (about 375 calories)
Shake
-30 grams of unflavored grass-fed whey protein isolate
-8 oz of chocolate milk
-2-3 grams of L-leucine
Creatine Mixture
-5 to 6 oz of grape juice mixed with 1.5 grams of creatine HCl

After all of that I’m at about 2500 calories. I fill in the rest of my calories with carb dominant snacks like granola bars, nutri-grain bars, or baked potato chips. Add all of that up and you get this…

MACROS

-Total Cals 3,270
-Carbs 381 grams

• Fat 109 grams
    -⁠Protein 198 grams

Looks alright fella, run it for a month, assess to see if you are achieving the desired results, possibly amend/tweek (workout program, macros) - off you go again

1 Like

This is the only problem with your approach. These things are wildly, and i mean wildly inaccurate. Use it as a base point but dont add 1000 calories just because it says your workout burned it.

Its fine as a start point, but don’t let the actual number readings dictate your daily calorie intake.

2 Likes

This is a great start though and the diet looks absolutely solid. If I had to be pedantic id say its a bit brown heavy and veggie light. a tiny bit of onion, a tiny bit of bell pepper and broccoli as your total veg intake might leave you wanting for micros in the long run.

1 Like

By the sounds of it you’ve got everything dialled in pretty well.

I’ll second the suggestion to add more veggies, simply because you’ll feel better for it.

When you end up needing to drop calories, I’d do it by increments of 100, and at this stage take it out of fats until you’re sitting round 60 grams of fat a day at which point you wont want to drop any more.

Don’t pay too much attention to what the Fitbit app says you burned.

2 Likes

Awesome. The take aways from this thread are: I will add some more veggies, remove calories from fat by the 100 when I decide to drop my daily calories, and look into other ways of calculating the calories I burn everyday.

I’ve made two changes. I’m ignoring the fitbit calorie expenditure feature and I dropped my daily calories. I thought about it, and I want to get in and out of this diet as fast as possible, so to speak. My intake will be 2,610 calories. I’m keeping the Protein at 200 grams and lowering the Carbs and Fats to 295 grams and 70 grams respectively. I’m not adjusting the workout plan.

All good stuff. My only critique would be that some of your food choices are not very satiating. Once you’re leaner and the hunger starts becoming a real factor, you’d do well to substitute some of the foods – wholewheat toast + jelly for oatmeal, chocolate milk and grape juice for solid food, etc. Think about that later on. For now, keep at it!

1 Like

As the cut progresses, I will keep those things in mind. Thanks

I’ve done very well on a fat / protein based eating protocol. Fatty red meat, whole pasture eggs…eat til full. Eat when hungry.

The weight fell off this week. 1.5 pounds in 4-5 days. I feel good about the changes I made.

Another pound lost this week. I killed chest and arms before lunch and jogged a 5k on the trails by my university gym.
I wanted to see how much strength I have kept. Considering yesterday was an off day, I figured today was perfect for testing my bench max. I worked up to an easy set of 9 reps with 225! It sounds cliche but if I pushed it I could have done 10! 9 or 10. Doesn’t matter. I’m very happy with how it went.
I did something different today. I ate a couple nutrigrain bars before my workout. I felt really strong today and maybe that’s why. Usually, I don’t have a preworkout meal/snack. I eat breakfast and workout a couple hours later.