Track Question

I’m in my off season right now. I feel my quads are a limiting factor in my muscle endurance. For example, I cannot ride a bike for a long, before my quads burning (i.e. 10-20 seconds). And in my 800m race (my specialty), even though I do vigorous stretching I still cramp, although there may be other factors why I cramp (sleep, hydration etc.). I believe it’s my quads.

I started a quad-dominant program thinking that it would help my situation. I got it from T-Nation; Forgotten Squats - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459865

I’ve been doing glute and hamstring dominant programs for some time now. So, I think that my quads don’t get much attention.

I was also thinking to continue with my hip dominant programs (glutes and hamstrings) which would work my quads also. Then just cycle for a few minutes to build quad endurance.

A few weeks ago I strained a muscle in my upper back (lower and/or middle trapezius). The pain subsided to an extent. I still have a bit of pain, but when I do heavy squats or deadlifts the pain hits hard. It doesn’t hurt when I do front squats and hack squats and back extensions (which gives me another reason to stick with my quad-dominant program, until the pain completely goes away). These exercises are claimed to hit the quads more than other variations of the squat.

What can I do to help my back pain (flexibility etc.)

Thank you.

[quote]serious_guy wrote:
I’m in my off season right now. I feel my quads are a limiting factor in my muscle endurance. For example, I cannot ride a bike for a long, before my quads burning (i.e. 10-20 seconds). And in my 800m race (my specialty), even though I do vigorous stretching I still cramp, although there may be other factors why I cramp (sleep, hydration etc.). I believe it’s my quads.

I started a quad-dominant program thinking that it would help my situation. I got it from T-Nation; Forgotten Squats - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459865

I’ve been doing glute and hamstring dominant programs for some time now. So, I think that my quads don’t get much attention.

I was also thinking to continue with my hip dominant programs (glutes and hamstrings) which would work my quads also. Then just cycle for a few minutes to build quad endurance.

Thank you.[/quote]

You should address your endurance defecit through running workouts that are specific to your race, NOT through weight training.

I actually like concentrated bike work to help on my running technique.

It sounds like you are utilizing a poor pedal stroke when cycling.

The burn should be more in the upper quad then the lower quad. Lower quad indicates that you are using a 90-180 degree pedal stroke.

A proper (360) pedal stroke involves simultatenous push and pull. This will really work your hip flexors to help get that leg out infront of you (provided you have enough stretch in your hamstrings).

If you really are a quad-weak runner then its very possible that your hamstrings are too tight which is limiting your “kick-out” and forcing you to compensate with a strong pull with your hamstrings.