Track and Field

anyone know the best exercises for the 100m and pole vault? Besides sprinting of course.

Cleans, Snatches, Squat, OH Squat, Front Squat, Split Squat, Pullup, Pike Pullups, Rows, Hanging Pikes, Skull Crushers and Plyos.

same question but for 400-800?

same exercises?

OH Squat, Front Squat, Split Squat, Pike Pullups, Hanging Pikes, and Plyos.

what are these?

is there a thread somewhere that explains a lot of these exercises

[quote]on edge wrote:
Cleans, Snatches, Squat, OH Squat, Front Squat, Split Squat, Pullup, Pike Pullups, Rows, Hanging Pikes, Skull Crushers and Plyos.[/quote]

what are pike pullups, haning pikes and plyos?

exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

They may not all be there, but a lot of them are.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Cleans, Snatches, Squat, OH Squat, Front Squat, Split Squat, Pullup, Pike Pullups, Rows, Hanging Pikes, Skull Crushers and Plyos.[/quote]

I’m just curious about how skull crushers made this list…

[quote]on edge wrote:

Pretty much covered right there.

i can definitly see skull crushers (at least for pole vault) since you really use your triceps.

bench press at all? military press?

add handstand pushups and pistols.

relative strength is essential for track n field.

keep your hands fairly close for the HSPU with pole vaulting.

[quote]Smitty wrote:
on edge wrote:
Cleans, Snatches, Squat, OH Squat, Front Squat, Split Squat, Pullup, Pike Pullups, Rows, Hanging Pikes, Skull Crushers and Plyos.

[/quote]

They’re PV specific. Bottom arm needs to apply pressure to the stiff pole, but with out straight arming. Most young vaulters completely collapse this arm making it impossible to drive it up over their head too get in a highbar position.

Also, the low back takes a beating when planting the pole. Low Back Hypers will strengthen the area and you can never go wrong with some kind of Glute-Ham Raise. Add those to your list of exercises to look up.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
add handstand pushups and pistols.

relative strength is essential for track n field.

keep your hands fairly close for the HSPU with pole vaulting.[/quote]

Xen, not everyone is superman.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Smitty wrote:
on edge wrote:

They’re PV specific. Bottom arm needs to apply pressure to the stiff pole, but with out straight arming. Most young vaulters completely collapse this arm making it impossible to drive it up over their head too get in a highbar position.[/quote]

I see, I didn’t even think of pole vault (must of missed that in original post)

No one has said the box squat yet?

The idea is to increase posterior chain strength, this is more important than the knee extensors.

Exercises

• Box Squat
  • Wide Stance Back Squat
  • Bench Press or Military Press
  • Chin Ups
  • High pulls (has many benefits of the olympic lifts, i.e explosive, hip dominant, without the problem of a learning curve)
  • Glute-Ham-Raise (not many gyms have these)