T Nation

Trace DNA to Your Ancestor's Home 1,000 Yrs Ago

I think this is pretty cool. I have always been interested in genealogy but this takes it all to another level. Basically they can determine where your DNA was formed right down to the geographic region or even down to your village.

So if you have ever wondered where you got that big ugly bucket head of yours now’s your chance…

I’ve had full spectrum, yDNA and mtDNA tests done. Surprising results. As well as determining the origin of your haplogroup, the tests also provide matches to other people and their ethnicity. When replicated DNA creates mistakes in the code - basically like typos. When compared with other people, if they have the same typos it shows you are related to them.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I’ve had full spectrum, yDNA and mtDNA tests done. Surprising results. As well as determining the origin of your haplogroup, the tests also provide matches to other people and their ethnicity. When replicated DNA creates mistakes in the code - basically like typos. When compared with other people, if they have the same typos it shows you are related to them.[/quote]

If you don’t mind me asking what were your results? Did they match your expectations or was it a complete surprise?

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I’ve had full spectrum, yDNA and mtDNA tests done. Surprising results. As well as determining the origin of your haplogroup, the tests also provide matches to other people and their ethnicity. When replicated DNA creates mistakes in the code - basically like typos. When compared with other people, if they have the same typos it shows you are related to them.[/quote]

If you don’t mind me asking what were your results? Did they match your expectations or was it a complete surprise? [/quote]

The yDNA(paternal line) and full spectrum results were as expected. However the mtDNA(maternal line) and a lot of the ancestral origins matches were a complete surprise. It’s important to note that mtDNA and yDNA are only a small part of your DNA though.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking what were your results? Did they match your expectations or was it a complete surprise? [/quote]

The yDNA(paternal line) and full spectrum results were as expected. However the mtDNA(maternal line) and a lot of the ancestral origins matches were a complete surprise. It’s important to note that mtDNA and yDNA are only a small part of your DNA though.
[/quote]

I think its fascinating stuff and as the article suggested this has far reaching implications for the medical field in respect to tailored medicines, susceptibility to certain diseases and maybe even eliminating peoples current idea of race…

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

I’m confused by this statement. How does mtDNA+yDNA/=100% of your DNA?

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

I’m confused by this statement. How does mtDNA+yDNA/=100% of your DNA?[/quote]

mtDNA is only the DNA from your direct maternal line. It comes from your mother, your mother’s mother, your mother’s mother’s mother etc. As you have have two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents etc. it is only a small part of your DNA. Additionally it is passed on virtually unchanged from one generation to the next. It’s the same with yDNA but on the paternal line. And yDNA is only passed on to males.

Autosomal DNA by contrast includes both parents, all four grandparents, all eight great grandparents etc.

See attached picture of maternal line for why it is only a small part of your DNA.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

I think its fascinating stuff and as the article suggested this has far reaching implications for the medical field in respect to tailored medicines, susceptibility to certain diseases and maybe even eliminating peoples current idea of race…
[/quote]

Yes it is fascinating. It has been discovered recently that some people have Neandethal and Denisovan DNA from interbreeding with these species before the last ice age.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes it is fascinating. It has been discovered recently that some people have Neandethal and Denisovan DNA from interbreeding with these species before the last ice age.[/quote]

Comedian Eddie Izzard shot a great BBC documentary on DNA ‘Meet the Izzards’ where he found that his DNA was 2.5% Neanderthal or something like that. They also traced his DNA right back to where the Venus of Willendorf was found and then later, because he belonged to a rare haplogroup, to a Germanic tribe that made its way into Britain.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

I’m confused by this statement. How does mtDNA+yDNA/=100% of your DNA?[/quote]

mtDNA is only the DNA from your direct maternal line. It comes from your mother, your mother’s mother, your mother’s mother’s mother etc. As you have have two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents etc. it is only a small part of your DNA. Additionally it is passed on virtually unchanged from one generation to the next. It’s the same with yDNA but on the paternal line. And yDNA is only passed on to males.

Autosomal DNA by contrast includes both parents, all four grandparents, all eight great grandparents etc.

See attached picture of maternal line for why it is only a small part of your DNA.
[/quote]

I haven’t studied or really read much about this topic.

So, Autosomal DNA contains DNA from your mothers side that is not contained in the mtDNA i.e. fathers DNA on the maternal side? And vice versa on the fathers side?

So when the last male of a name does not have a son, but has daughters, the yDNA of that man ends?

Very, very cool. I like history, this makes it even better.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

I haven’t studied or really read much about this topic.

So, Autosomal DNA contains DNA from your mothers side that is not contained in the mtDNA i.e. fathers DNA on the maternal side? And vice versa on the fathers side?

So when the last male of a name does not have a son, but has daughters, the yDNA of that man ends?[/quote]

Yes both correct.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes it is fascinating. It has been discovered recently that some people have Neandethal and Denisovan DNA from interbreeding with these species before the last ice age.[/quote]

Comedian Eddie Izzard shot a great BBC documentary on DNA ‘Meet the Izzards’ where he found that his DNA was 2.5% Neanderthal or something like that. They also traced his DNA right back to where the Venus of Willendorf was found and then later, because he belonged to a rare haplogroup, to a Germanic tribe that made its way into Britain. [/quote]

My yDNA haplogroup is R1b1a. It’s very common in Western Europe and is most frequent in Western Ireland. It’s associated with the Celts/Celt-Iberians/Gauls. It is also very frequent in Brittany which is one of the few populations with a strong Celtic ethnicity outside of Ireland/UK.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

cool thanks for the explanation.

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[/quote]

cool thanks for the explanation.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure all my DNA ancestry leads to Scotland.

My mom is from there and my dad’s great grandparents were from there.

[quote]Nards wrote:

My mom is from there and my dad’s great grandparents were from there.[/quote]

Not originally. The Celts began migrating to the British isles around 450BC. The earliest distinctly Celtic cultural/linguistic groups developed in Eastern/Central Europe and then spread throughout France, Northern Italy, Spain, Portugal then the British Isles.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

Not originally. The Celts began migrating to the British isles around 450BC. The earliest distinctly Celtic cultural/linguistic groups developed in Eastern/Central Europe and then spread throughout France, Northern Italy, Spain, Portugal then the British Isles.[/quote]

How fallible of me…I should of course remembered that if the DNA can be traced what was it? 7,500 years?

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

Not originally. The Celts began migrating to the British isles around 450BC. The earliest distinctly Celtic cultural/linguistic groups developed in Eastern/Central Europe and then spread throughout France, Northern Italy, Spain, Portugal then the British Isles.[/quote]

How fallible of me…I should of course remembered that if the DNA can be traced what was it? 7,500 years?[/quote]

I’m not an expert but I believe it depends what aspect of DNA is examined. The origin of your haplogroup can be traced back to where it originated which in many cases is tens of thousands of years. The origin of the human species can be traced back over a hundred thousand years to East Africa.

Of course…because after all…we’re all black on the inside.